English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 March 2018, 16:04   #1
Soopytwist

Disable joystick support?

I don't like using the Xbox 360 controller with WinUAE. I mapped the arrow keys for control and Ctrl and keypad 0 keys fire buttons and I want to use Joy2Key to map those keys to the Xbox 360 controller. Unfortunately as soon as I turn on my 360 controller WinUAE ignores my key bindings and uses the Xbox 360 controller as joystick instead.

Is there anyway to disable joystick support entirely in WinUAE so I can only use keys and then use Joy2Key to map those keys to the Xbox 360 controller?

EDIT

As an example why, I want to play Odyssey but don't want joystick up as jump, I want jump assigned to Y and attack to X but as soon as I switch on the controller it maps jump to up and attack to A.

This is Game Port settings:

This is Input settings:

This is Joy2Key settings:

What this does it I can move with arrow keys and Ctrl for fire but although these keys are mapped in Joy2Key I have no input as WinUAE overrides Joy2Key.

Last edited by Soopytwist; 11 March 2018 at 16:26.
Old 11 March 2018, 17:58   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Update your WinUAE version and untick "mouse/joystick autoswitching".
Old 11 March 2018, 19:56   #3
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Update your WinUAE version and untick "mouse/joystick autoswitching".
I already tried the latest version but it is somehow worse than version 2.2, particularly with sizing the window correctly, jumping from a horizontal zoom of -59 to -159 with no finer adjustment. It's crap.

Also, now only half the controller buttons work instead of none at all.
Old 11 March 2018, 20:20   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not very useful reply if you want some help...

But -norawinput or -norawhid command line parameter may help. Most injectors don't support hid rawinput.
Old 11 March 2018, 22:04   #5
Soopytwist

Quote:

But -norawinput or -norawhid command line parameter may help. Most injectors don't support hid rawinput.
Command line parameters? I'm not running WinUAE in DOS.
Old 11 March 2018, 22:26   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopytwist View Post
Command line parameters? I'm not running WinUAE in DOS.
Oh my god, who said anything about running in DOS???

Quote:
I'm totally with Toni; he's trying to help you out after your absolutely shit reply i.e: no configuration file, no logs etc, just complaints...

Personally, I wouldn't have even bothered replying to you

As you don't understand what Toni has suggested, let me make it very easy for you:

a) Firstly update WinUAE to the latest stable version i.e. v3.6.1.
b) Modify your shortcut for WinUAE which points to something like "C:\WinUAE\winuae.exe" or whatever...
c) Add "-norawinput" to the end line and test.
d) If the above doesn't help, try adding "-norawhid" instead.

If you're still having issues then report back with your configuration file and logs; but this time without the agro; if you want any further assistance from people here
Old 11 March 2018, 23:19   #7
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Oh my god, who said anything about running in DOS???

I'm totally with Toni; he's trying to help you out after your absolutely shit reply i.e: no configuration file, no logs etc, just complaints...

Personally, I wouldn't have even bothered replying to you

As you don't understand what Toni has suggested, let me make it very easy for you:

a) Firstly update WinUAE to the latest stable version i.e. v3.6.1.
b) Modify your shortcut for WinUAE which points to something like "C:\WinUAE\winuae.exe" or whatever...
c) Add "-norawinput" to the end line and test.
d) If the above doesn't help, try adding "-norawhid" instead.

If you're still having issues then report back with your configuration file and logs; but this time without the agro; if you want any further assistance from people here
Agro? Absolute shit reply? You've lost me. Are we all snowflakes on here or what?! All I did was point out the latest stable version (I'll assume the stable version is the one that's on the WinUAE site) doesn't work very well with sizing the screen. Version 2.2 is a lot better in that respect - though clearly not when it comes to disabling joypads.

I'll assume those shortcut commands don't work in earlier versions of WinUAE then?
Old 11 March 2018, 23:24   #8
DamienD
Banned

You haven't really described your issue well or more importantly provided your configuration file / logs as yet.

Information like this is gold to Toni and with these; he'll probably tell you the issue without you even having to type another thing.

Quote:
I'll assume those shortcut commands don't work in earlier versions of WinUAE then?
No, not when using versions 7 years older.
Old 11 March 2018, 23:45   #9
Soopytwist

Okay, both of those shortcut commands don't work, i.e I'm pressing buttons on the 360 controller that are mapped to the arrow keys, Ctrl and Alt keys in Joy2Key - I cannot move the player in any games.

I attach the config file I've been using, though I have loads and I also seem to have multiple locations of these things now that the newer version of WinUAE is installed and still got older version in a folder elsewhere and there's stuff in the public folder as well...very confusing. Not even sure if this is the right config file come to think of it.
Attached Files
File Type: uae A1200wb13TEST.UAE (15.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 11 March 2018, 23:49   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Okay, both of those shortcut commands don't work, i.e I'm pressing buttons on the 360 controller that are mapped to the arrow keys, Ctrl and Alt keys in Joy2Key - I cannot move the player in any games.
The question I want to ask is why use "Joy2Key" inside of emulation?

I too use wireless Xbox 360 controllers; when I can be bothered, and you can set any button / movement within WinUAE before starting a game.

Quote:
I attach the config file I've been using, though I have loads and I also seem to have multiple locations of these things now that the newer version of WinUAE is installed and still got older version in a folder elsewhere and there's stuff in the public folder as well...very confusing. Not even sure if this is the right config file come to think of it.
That doesn't inspire confidence.

I'll let Toni look at these and advise, need sleep.
Old 11 March 2018, 23:51   #11
Soopytwist

Also with the above config file and playing Odyssey I can press B on the 360 controller and that works, I have it bound to Spacebar - nothing else on the controller works. In Joy2Key I have keyboard arrow keys left and right bound to the left joystick left and right. Y is bound to arrow up (for jump), A is bound to arrow down (for crouch), X is bound to Ctrl (fire button). None of the buttons work in Odyssey and I've tried other games too... apart from the B button weirdly. Joy2Key does work though as I can open Notepad++ and press all the controller buttons and get the required output.
Old 11 March 2018, 23:55   #12
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
The question I want to ask is why use "Joy2Key" inside of emulation?...
When I've tried to map controller buttons in WinUAE before it has never worked. I press left joystick left for Left, for example, and it maps all the movements to left.

It's late now. Have to sleep then work. Will resume tomorrow evening.
Old 11 March 2018, 23:59   #13
Soopytwist

Also, another reason for using Joy2Key in WinUAE is because nearly all Amiga games use joystick Up for jump. Which I find hard to control. Mapping the 360 controller in WinUAE it does not seem possible to bind up movement to a button (Y button in my case)...? Or is it?
Old 12 March 2018, 11:37   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Remapping should be easy enough in recent versions: game ports panel, select custom #1-6, tick remap/test, the rest should be intuitive enough.

You can use same test button to test what joy2key sends, easier than running some game.
Old 12 March 2018, 18:21   #15
Soopytwist

Quote:
Remapping should be easy enough in recent versions: game ports panel, select custom #1-6, tick remap/test, the rest should be intuitive enough.

You can use same test button to test what joy2key sends, easier than running some game.
Thanks for the help, I'm still struggling though. Let's forget Joy2Key, that's just adding an extra level of annoyance. So in the Input settings I've got this when I turn on the 360 controller:

I've circled the thing on the left because I don't know what this is. If I change it to 2 it wipes all the bindings above off.

I've also circles Remap on the right which is always greyed out. In Game ports I've got Windows mouse in Port 1 and Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows) in Port 2. Mouse/Joystick autoswitching is off.

If I change from Game Ports Panel in the top left to Configuration #1, then I can remap but I can't use the Remap button because as soon as I press left on the controller's joystick the bottom drop down box expands instead. So I manually map the controls using this drop down list (the one to the left of Test and Remap.

I tried mapping like this:

So for playing most platform games I want button Y to jump (joystick up), A for crouch (joystick down) button X for Joy 1 Fire and button B for Spacebar. I'm playing Odyssey which annoyingly requires the F keys on the keyboard to be used to change forms and Spacebar to revert back to human form. I wanted to also map some of the F keys to the remaining buttons on the controller (D-pad, left and right triggers and the bumpers but I don't know how to do that in WinUAE.

In any case with the above configuration, the controls revert to default controller buttons as soon as I start playing. so joystick up jumps, down crouches and just A is fire button, the rest of the buttons don't do anything.

I'm beginning to suspect WinUAE doesn't like wireless controllers.

Last edited by Soopytwist; 12 March 2018 at 18:26.
Old 12 March 2018, 18:31   #16
Soopytwist

If I do this:

Testing works, it picks up the fact that pressing Y is Joy1 Up for example. However I can't move at all in the game and only the B button for Spacebar works.
Old 12 March 2018, 18:54   #17
Soopytwist

Oh. In everything else the left joystick on a 360 controller is joystick 1. In WinUAE it's Joystick 2!! It now works with my custom mapping, though I'm still confused as to all the different Configuration, Custom settings. It's not exactly intuitive.