English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 14 August 2012, 12:52   #1
burf2000

Internet Sharing via the Parallel port

Hey there, sorry if I am posting this under the wrong area.

I am getting back in to my Amiga and really fancy getting it on the web. Now I do plan to buy a PCMCIA card however someone mentioned I could do it via the parallel port.

So I have a A1200 with a PC-Amiga network kit that came with a Parallel link cable which means I can share files between the PC and Amiga.

Can I use this with Parnet? (someone mentioned this to me) and then use WinUAE on the PC to link them up? Where can I get parnet from?

Then how do I setup internet sharing? What browser software should I try and find
Sorry if this is asked a million times and thanks for your help.
Simon
Old 14 August 2012, 13:17   #2
Amiga1992

The package you have or PARNET are not made for internet purposes. you need to run a TCP/IP stack on the Amiga and make it so it receives internet from the parallel or serial port.

I think it's easier to do it through the serial port. I managed to run a PPP SLIP conenction through serial on my A600 to my then Linux box. Linux run the PPP daemon through serial to the Amiga and the Amiga could use the PC's internet connection. If you are not comfortable with command lines, this might prove harder than you think. I don't know how to do the same with a Windows machine, though.

Also, a stock A1200 is pretty useless when it comes to internet usage. Maybe you can try ALynx (text-based www browser).

Check out this thread too: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65406
Old 14 August 2012, 14:26   #3
burf2000

Thats really useful thanks mate, I was told that Parnet / sernet could use TCP/IP stack (Miami, Genesis, AmiTCP etc) to sort the connection out.

Are we just saying that the Sernet could do it?

I suppose I could run a vm of linux on my PC running that Multilink to connect to the Amiga
Old 14 August 2012, 19:28   #4
robinsonb5

This might be worth a look:
http://lallafa.de/blog/2012/07/introducing-plipbox/

Magplip might be closer to what you originally envisaged, too - though I've no idea how to go about setting it up.
Old 14 August 2012, 20:58   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by burf2000 View Post
Are we just saying that the Sernet could do it?
No, it's a completely different thing. You need to use a proper TCP/IP stack like Miami or AmiTCP or use Multilink.

Robinson: that is very interesting, though the page does not mention what you need on the Amiga side of things. If you still need a TCP/IP stack, it would be a hog, but since he said he made this for running on an A500, I suppose something else is going on.
Old 14 August 2012, 23:28   #6
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No, it's a completely different thing. You need to use a proper TCP/IP stack like Miami or AmiTCP or use Multilink.

Robinson: that is very interesting, though the page does not mention what you need on the Amiga side of things. If you still need a TCP/IP stack, it would be a hog, but since he said he made this for running on an A500, I suppose something else is going on.
The github page has more info - it uses MagPlip - so a TCP/IP stack *is* still needed, I believe.
https://github.com/cnvogelg/plipbox
Getting the Amiga side set up will be very similar to the "host" instructions on this page:
http://lallafa.de/blog/amiga-project...ip2slip-setup/