English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 May 2007, 13:45   #1
residuum

blue screen of death

Hi guys. I just installed WinUAE and am trying to run the Amiga game "Agony". It begins fine, I get the music and the title screen, but then my computer blue screens and reboots itself. It does this without fail while, every single time, while loading Agony or at the title screen. My computer has never done this before, and I have played some pretty demanding games on it (recent PC ones). Anyone got any ideas?

Old 22 May 2007, 13:47   #2
residuum

Oh, and the music stutters horribly just before the blue screen/reboot.

Old 22 May 2007, 13:58   #3
Jimbo

Well first the clever guys will need your config setup. ie what setup have you got in Winuae. What version of the game and where you got it from etc. Every detail you can think of.

Cheers Jimbo
Old 22 May 2007, 14:20   #4
residuum

WinUAE is stock-standard. I just downloaded it and installed it. Then I put it on Best Compatibility, scanned the Kickstart 3.1 rom, assigned the 2x .ADFs to df0: and df1: respectively, and then started it Quickstart mode. The game starts loading, the music plays and the title screen appears. It BSODs my system at any of these times, everytime. Just before the BSOD my sound stutters. In eventvwr.msc I have a System Error (not an Application error). It is weird, because this hasn't happened before with any programs and I've run some pretty intensive PC games for hours on end without hiccups.

Old 22 May 2007, 14:25   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Still, more details needed!
Windows version, WinUAE version - a log perhaps?
Old 22 May 2007, 14:42   #6
TikTok

Also, what was the error code (was it a STOP error?). Which OS?
Old 22 May 2007, 14:47   #7
residuum

Thanks for replying. I'm running WinXP SP2 which is fully updated. WinUAE is 1.4.2a. My components have all been stress-tested, and my memory has no errors. I used Orthos for my CPU (dual-core) and MemTest for my RAM. I used Everest to check nothing was overheating. I've checked my HDD out also. No errors. I have crappy onboard sound and high-end Nvidia graphics. I removed my graphics card and just used integrated graphics and still got the reboots. I find it hard to believe my system can run intensive programs stably and yet crashes while emulating a 15 year old game... but that's what's happening............. When I get some time, I'll load Agony again and let the blue screen do a minidump so I can try diagnosing from there.... TikTok, yes a Stop error... whatever that means.

Last edited by residuum; 22 May 2007 at 14:52.

Old 22 May 2007, 15:01   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I got a BSOD on XPSP2 in 2 cases, both of them hardware errors:
1. Was playing Rogue Spear multiplayer, and - this never ever heppened before - my sound card started to play crappy sound and boom, BSOD, and some info the card is the cause, etc. I have an Realtek AC'97, onboard.
2. Was copying something from a cd using a cheap dvd-writer, and the BSOD about the hardware error of the drive popped many times on faulty/dirty/old cd's.

Maybe check the newest drivers for your soundcard?

---=== EDITED ===---
Check in My computer / properties / advanced system / startup & recovery and untick the auto restart option (sorry if the path's not right, i'm running on vista)
Old 22 May 2007, 15:12   #9
residuum

I tried downloading the newest onboard sound drivers, but my system still rebooted itself. I even uninstalled those drivers completely, turned my PC off, inserted a really old Soundblaster PCI card, disabled my onboard audio controller, rebooted Windows, installed the SB driver, and got the same BSOD at exactly the same point while loading the game. So I know it isn't my sound.

Old 22 May 2007, 15:15   #10
residuum

I unchecked Automatically Restart when I got the first reboot so I could read the blue screen. That's how I know it is a Stop error. But I couldn't wait for the minidump because I have to be online for the moment.

Old 22 May 2007, 16:22   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I *think* this couldn't be the emu nor the game doing, it's too big of an error for as well written software to do that (no irony here )

BUT

Try installing a ClassicWB and the WHDLoad version of Agony maybe?
Old 22 May 2007, 16:55   #12
residuum

Oh dear, this sucks royally. It isn't just with Agony, but with every game in WinUAE... so much for my nostalgia. I'm getting a recurring MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, which according to my various Googlings are hard to diagnose unless you're an expert. Most of it points to faulty hardware. Looks like the stress-testers I used aren't very accurate at diagnosis........ I just wanna play these old games!!

Old 22 May 2007, 17:50   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

have you tried winfellow ?

this although not as nice and tidy as winuae, is still a good setup. I have to admit I have noticed some interesting performaces comparing dual core and single core chips. the later seem to run smoother if thats worth anything.

(testing UAE on a dual core 64bit athlon 3000+ and an AMD Barton 3200+)

the Barton seem to perform better. however when running dosbox the 64bit chip seems to have an slightly better performance.... this is all subject to be honest but i cannot be the only one that believes this to be the case...