best hq resampler http://cd.textfiles.com/amigaplus/so...s/AudioConvert

in PAL using standard 24000 Hz

sample audio in adp4 16bit 24kHz for old songplayer
http://skolman-mws.w.interia.pl/amiga/adp4/
Old 15 May 2014, 13:29   #22
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapscallion View Post
here is a screen shot of the error message i am getting trying to open the Wav2Amiga file
You need to install .NET FrameWork v4

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=17851
Old 15 May 2014, 16:32   #23
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOLMAN_MWS View Post
Doubt on this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_...ate_conversion - SRC is tricky and computationally intensive task) but feel free to prove it by method similar to: http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Quote:
in PAL using standard 24000 Hz
Are you referring to which 24000Hz? (see list bellow)

Period Sampling frequency (In Hz for PAL)

142 24978.133803
143 24803.461538
144 24631.215278
145 24461.344828
146 24293.801370
147 24128.537415
148 23965.506757
Old 15 May 2014, 17:21   #24
SKOLMAN_MWS

You do not understand. Most of converters downsampling/upsampling give the poor quality of the output samples.

Of course, if someone is deaf has weak hardware HiFi, will not hear the difference.

Last edited by SKOLMAN_MWS; 15 May 2014 at 17:27.
Old 15 May 2014, 20:57   #25
pandy71

Quote:
You do not understand. Most of converters downsampling/upsampling give the poor quality of the output samples.

Of course, if someone is deaf has weak hardware HiFi, will not hear the difference.
I give you link to objective comparison for different SRC, some of them use very complex methods (for example long FIR filters) to create very high quality SRC (both in objective and subjective area). You can't pretend that you hear something bellow -170dBFS - arguing that someone is deaf looks like Godwin's law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
SoX is well proven and appreciated by audiophiles with not only ears but also with expert knowledge.
So i understand it quite well and this was my point - if you referring to something as "best hq resampler" then i nicely ask about proof for such claim.
Old 13 August 2015, 12:46   #26
Hagotae

I am struggling to get this working. Opened up the script in a drawer on the Amiga, it told me what to do. Sox12 and WAV2AMIGA.Script are in a drawer with the .wav file, Sox12 wont execute and the script just opens as a text file. Tried then creating a drawer and putting the WAV sample inside by itself and clicked both SOx and Script in the Drawer above, still no luck!

Is there an easier way to do this on a Mac? Like a batch convert to the correct settings for the Amiga then just transfer them via PCMIA and then just start using them in Octamed?

Old 13 August 2015, 18:29   #27
alkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagotae View Post
Is there an easier way to do this on a Mac? Like a batch convert to the correct settings for the Amiga then just transfer them via PCMIA and then just start using them in Octamed?
Recently, doing an Angband (cross)recompile I came across the sound files being mp3. This is what I used to convert them all.

Code:
for f in *.mp3 ; do sox -v `sox "$f" -n stat -v 2>&1` "$f" -D -r16574 -b8 `basename "$f" .mp3`.8svx remix 1; done
The nested sox call (inside the backticks) is to find the "scale" factor that would allow me to turn the volume up without clipping (like normalise), you may ommit it if you don't want to make samples louder.

Code:
for f in *.mp3 ; do sox "$f" -D -r16574 -b8 `basename "$f" .mp3`.8svx remix 1; done
I know you said Mac and this is for linux, but this is in hope it helps.
Old 13 August 2015, 21:06   #28
Hagotae

I am still a little unsure though how i use the converter, so i have to put both sox and wav2amiga.script files into the same drawer of audio that i want to convert and double click the script file, which just opens it up as a document, do i have to put these codes in there? Opening the SOX file on the Amiga just says it was unable to find files

Old 14 August 2015, 09:52   #29
Daedalus

It may or may not be suitable, but I've used SampleManager in the past for converting samples for use on the Amiga and it has done a good job. It's an Amiga program and available on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/mus/edit/Samplemanager and is written by the same guy who made HD-Rec.
Old 14 August 2015, 12:03   #30
pandy71

Guys - i don't understand why you insist to use Amiga for sample rate conversion - on modern PC (even on Atom CPU) this will be faster and also probably significantly higher quality.

Code:
@SET PATH=%PATH%;Disk:\path_to\sox

@rem PAL=28375160
@rem NTSC=28636363

@SET PERIOD=124

@SET CLK=28375160
@SET /a AFREQ=((%CLK%+8)/(8*%PERIOD%)) 
@SET /a APREC=((%CLK%+8)/(32*%PERIOD%))

@ECHO Samplerate=%AFREQ%
@ECHO Precompensation=%APREC%

@md 8SVX
@for %%a in ("*.wav") do "sox.exe" --multi-threaded --buffer 524288 -S -V -D "%%a" "8SVX\%%~na.8svx" remix - gain -n -6.0206 treble 6.0206 %APREC% rate -v -s -I %AFREQ% gain -n -0.034264 dither -S -p 8 stats -b 8 stat 
@for %%a in ("*.mp3") do "sox.exe" --multi-threaded --buffer 524288 -S -V -D "%%a" "8SVX\%%~na.8svx" remix - gain -n -6.0206 treble 6.0206 %APREC% rate -v -s -I %AFREQ% gain -n -0.034264 dither -S -p 8 stats -b 8 stat 
@for %%a in ("*.flac") do "sox.exe" --multi-threaded --buffer 524288 -S -V -D "%%a" "8SVX\%%~na.8svx" remix - gain -n -6.0206 treble 6.0206 %APREC% rate -v -s -I %AFREQ% gain -n -0.034264 dither -S -p 8 stats -b 8 stat 

@ECHO Done!!!
@pause
Copy above one to dos batch (text file with extension 'bat' or 'cmd'), run in folder where wav, mp3, flac - Amiga period (in this case maximum legal value i.e. 124 ) is provided inside script so audio will be perfectly resampled to match Amiga hardware expectations.
Feel free to modify (this is mono version - all input formats are downmixed to mono, side to this i apply precompensation (gentle highpass - treble filter to deal with filter and DAC rolloff, dither is applied - HP TPDF - can be changed to any supported by SoX or disabled, samples are normalized to maximum possible by Amiga hardware - this is not optimal but... well it will improve SNR).
Converted files are stored in 8SVX folder. SoX accept limited number of formats - if this is necessary maybe pipe trough ffmpeg can be added (as ffmpeg is not capable to write 8SVX/IFF).

Last edited by pandy71; 14 August 2015 at 12:14.
Old 14 August 2015, 12:39   #31
Daedalus

Perhaps because not everyone has the will or skill to come up with a batch file like that? (It is nicely done by the way - thanks!) I know I lack the first and the second would at least slow me down greatly. Personally I use Audacity under Linux to resample to different bitrates/resolutions and then SampleManager to do the straight format conversion with no reprocessing, and I'm happy enough with the results that any difference in quality that I might be missing is offset by the amount of time I saved by not messing around with batch files or bash scripts on a PC.
Old 14 August 2015, 13:21   #32
Hagotae

Yeah i have no idea about scripting... I have started using Sony's convrt to batch process audio with ozone 6 plugins down to 16 bit Wav 22.050k ( No IFF choice). It is just the next step of getting the samples prepped for Octamed SS was the issue i was having.

Old 14 August 2015, 15:53   #33
Thorham
Computer Nerd

To pandy71:

That script is nice, but the dithering makes everything sound very noisy. People who want nice 8bit samples for use in Amiga trackers aren't going to like that.
Old 14 August 2015, 16:36   #34
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
People who want nice 8bit samples for use in Amiga trackers aren't going to like that.
You can modify script - removing dither is simple - just delete:
"dither -S -p 8 " and dither is no longer used (but beware that for regular listening dither is considered as absolute must to remove/decorelate quantization errors).
This is another example for what i try to say - Amiga is to weak to support correct signal processing (both offline and online) - normally dither shall be added at the end of processing chain where signal is requantized after mixing which is usually performed with sufficient precision (24 - 32 bits at least).

Btw not sure about Amiga audio output quality but i would expect that dither should be not perceived - not audible on a real Amiga HW if reconstruction filter slope and own system noise floor are present - it can be audible on PC equipped with 16 bit audio card (so trough Amiga emulation or by using 8 bit samples on PC tracker).

Btw 1 try to listen audio trough lowpass filter with characteristic similar to Amiga filter and apply roll-of related to sin(x)/x - also added precompensation may help - just adjust graphic equalizer knob to suppress high frequencies by few dB.
I can add Dynamic Audio Normalizer (gentle dynamics compressor - AFAIK LordMulder added this to SoX and not so long ago to ffmpeg - this can close processing chain and squeeze Amiga sound HW to normal maximum - there is always option for Copper driven audio where aggressive noise shaping can be applied and with high sample rate more than 16 bit perceived audio quality relatively easily achieved).

Last edited by pandy71; 14 August 2015 at 16:56.
Old 14 August 2015, 17:36   #35
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
but beware that for regular listening dither is considered as absolute must to remove/decorelate quantization errors
At the cost of considerable white noise. For listening to CD style audio, 14bit 28khz stereo is best.

Quote:
Btw not sure about Amiga audio output quality but i would expect that dither should be not perceived
It's very audible on my A1200.

Basically, for samples that are to be used in modules, get the loudest, good sounding samples you can find, and convert those to 8bit at an appropriate sample rate WITHOUT dithering.
Old 14 August 2015, 17:43   #36
Amiga1992

Quote:
Btw 1 try to listen audio trough lowpass filter with characteristic similar to Amiga filter and apply roll-of related to sin(x)/x
Nobody in its right mind would turn that awful filter on to make tracks.
Old 14 August 2015, 22:46   #37
pandy71

Quote:
At the cost of considerable white noise. For listening to CD style audio, 14bit 28khz stereo is best.
Nope if you use noise shaped dither (8 bit system with sufficient oversampling - 4 times 44.1kHz is capable to be comparable to SACD)- but Amiga is to slow (even 68060) to do correctly things like this in real time in background.

Quote:
It's very audible on my A1200.

Basically, for samples that are to be used in modules, get the loudest, good sounding samples you can find, and convert those to 8bit at an appropriate sample rate WITHOUT dithering.
Original filter? (i mean reconstruction - not one activated trough CIA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nobody in its right mind would turn that awful filter on to make tracks.
Amiga have 2 filters, one is fixed and used to reconstruct 56kHz sampled audio (unless full level ON i.e. PWM volume control disabled).

Last edited by pandy71; 14 August 2015 at 22:51.
Old 15 August 2015, 01:01   #38
Amiga1992

Quote:
Amiga have 2 filters, one is fixed and used to reconstruct 56kHz sampled audio (unless full level ON i.e. PWM volume control disabled).
Not mine, I destroyed two filters on purpose on my A600s to get cleaner audio
Old 15 August 2015, 05:42   #39
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
(but beware that for regular listening dither is considered as absolute must to remove/decorelate quantization errors).
What do you mean by "regular listening"?
I know only one way of listening but I'm not sure if it is the "regular" one you mention.

Quote:
there is always option for Copper driven audio where aggressive noise shaping can be applied and with high sample rate more than 16 bit perceived audio quality relatively easily achieved).
I have planned to test this (Copper audio) since I read that fascinating discussion about Paula's Pulse Width Modulation about six months ago. And I must admit I am a bit surprised no one has tried yet if it could be used mid scanline to output at 56kHz. The blitter is fast enough to fill the copperlist in real time so there really are no technical obstacles to experimenting it.
I even wonder if it could be used as a form of temporal multiplexing to allow 8 28kHz channels? I plan to give it a try eventually but I have more important projects for now.

Quote:
Nope if you use noise shaped dither (8 bit system with sufficient oversampling - 4 times 44.1kHz is capable to be comparable to SACD)- but Amiga is to slow (even 68060) to do correctly things like this in real time in background.
Which is why 14 bits stereo at 28kHz is the current practical best on a real Amiga.
Unless copper audio can beat it of course!

(Apologies for the off-topic.)
Old 15 August 2015, 08:05   #40
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Which is why 14 bits stereo at 28kHz is the current practical best on a real Amiga.
Indeed. Sounds quite good, actually, if down sampled with SOX.