English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 September 2004, 23:21   #21
Amiga1992

Somebody here is talking out of his rear end (hint: his username starts with "a" and ends with "miga"). "Show us you're a capable programmer". Please. why don't YOU show us first a bit of knowledge in programming (and while you are at it, gramatics), before you can judge Toni's excellent efforts? which are your programs? where is your super-optimized code? Why don't YOU modify WinUAE and optimize it?

This is like me moaning in 1999 that WinUAE didn't run fine in my Pentium 133 while DOS Fellow did. Like, HELLO?.

Most people have a problem with sound and therefore regard WinUAE as slow. Didn't you think that your soundcard could be SHITE? For any game, WinUAE runs great in my Pentium 3 866 And with -some- games the audio gets choppy. Same happens with any decent audio program I try to use, for my soundcards are CRAP and their DirectX drivers are pure tosh.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 16 September 2004 at 23:27.
Old 17 September 2004, 00:06   #22
glwxxx

hey Akira, easy, easy, why are you so... aggressive? We all know WinUAE is the state-of-art, we don't need to react to such posts as Amiga wrote... Be cool Akira or you'll die sooner than others... Toni's first answer described all it all and there is no more to say:

1: UAE is about compatibility, either buy a faster PC, use Fellow or shut up

Old 17 September 2004, 00:16   #23
Amiga1992

Where is the need of him to insult Toni as well? I might as well be as agressive.
Old 17 September 2004, 00:26   #24
glwxxx

Akira Akira, there's a sentence in slovak language: the smarter withdraws. That's why Toni didn't want to reply, and you should do the same...

Old 17 September 2004, 00:31   #25
Amiga1992

I'm an idiot, so I have to reply

I still do not agree with your slovak saying, but anyway.
Old 17 September 2004, 00:48   #26
glwxxx

sure, you're not slovak

Old 17 September 2004, 07:39   #27
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I'm currently running WinUAE on a PIII/700 without frame skipping, and with full stereo, etc. with no performance problems whatsoever. Before that I ran it on a PIII/500 with the same results. You really don't have to have an uber-fast machine to get good performance.

I think a lot of the performance problems that people have are due to things that they do in their config files that don't make sense, combined with people with all sorts of other problems in their systems that rob them of performance. If you have all the latest drivers for your hardware and eliminate a lot of the useless crap programs that over time inevitably get configured to run in the background even when you're not aware of them, you may find that WinUAE runs a lot better than you might expect. Also make sure to get rid of any spyware and such which constantly manages to creep into your system.

As for WinUAE configuration, make sure that all the options in your config files make sense. If you're running Shadow of the Beast, there is nothing to be gained by allocating huge amounts of memory in the config when the game will run quite well on a stock A500. Neither is there any sense in selecting video modes such as 24 bit color, or resolutions well above the Amiga's native resolutions, as both of these affect the amount of work that the emulator has to do simply to deal with the emulated display. With regard to any setting, just ask yourself if the setting you're selecting might not be overkill relative to the specs of the actual Amiga models that the title in question was originally released to be run on. If it came out on an A500/A2000, there's no real point in telling WinUAE that you want to emulate a 68020 with the AGA chipset.

If after you've made a real effort to tune up both your machine and your WinUAE configs you still can't get acceptable performance, then it might be time to think about frame skipping and the like, or upgrading your hardware, but I have yet to find a title where I need frame skipping. The notion that WinUAE is a dog unless you have a really fast machine is simply wrong, and many of the things that may be making it run slowly may have nothing to do with WinUAE at all.
Old 17 September 2004, 09:53   #28
amiga

I solved the problem :-)
I installed the games on hard disk with WHDLOAD.
They run quite well (without frame skipping) even on my PII
Old 17 September 2004, 10:58   #29
Christian

No problems here on my Athlon64 3.2... dunno what all the fuss is about ;-)

Old 17 September 2004, 11:14   #30
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Wasn't one of the main problems with real Amigas back in the early 90's that people didn't upgrade, therefore the main target of Amiga games was almost always the basic out-of-the-box configuration? When progressive (at the time) games like AB3D, Breathless, Fears, and Gloom eventually started seeping through, a lot of people whinged that it didn't run well on their (now aging) unexpanded Amiga hardware, and that they were being forced spend money on RAM and CPU upgrades.

A decade later, people are whinging that they need to upgrade their PC hardware to run an Amiga emulator at it's full capabilities. Possibly even the same people.

Do some people never learn?

I fully congratulate Toni's approach of developing WinUAE for maximum compatibility, regardless of what hardware it requires.

Quote:
No problem on my AthlonXP 3200+ with 2GB PC3200 DDR RAM either!
Old 17 September 2004, 12:09   #31
glwxxx

Quote:
Quote:
No problem on my AthlonXP 3200+ with 2GB PC3200 DDR RAM either!
And no problem here on my ZX Spectrum 48k either! It is so fast that I am not even able to see boot process! WOW!

Old 17 September 2004, 12:26   #32
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxxx
And no problem here on my ZX Spectrum 48k either! It is so fast that I am not even able to see boot process! WOW!
Yeah? I bet my CPC464 kicks its ass though...

Old 17 September 2004, 14:07   #33
MSC
Zone Friend

No problems here on a P4 1.8ghz. Key to sound problems is decent sound card and drivers.

As for resources, are you wanting to multitask on a PC?

If so, you should have bought a MAC

PC`s are so cheap now that i would think anyone making a piece of quality software (which WINUAE is) would start with a footprint machine of at least 1.5GHz

Mark
Old 17 September 2004, 14:26   #34
oldpx

Multitasking on a mac. Possible if you can FIND a task to run (read it as games) other than graphic/video development tools.

Last edited by oldpx; 17 September 2004 at 17:14.

Old 17 September 2004, 15:49   #35
MSC
Zone Friend

Lol
Old 17 September 2004, 16:09   #36
Christian

In fact, I miss the messing about with configurations just to squeeze that little bit more speed out of Winuae.

Toni, do you think you could do an extra-slow version? Maybe accurately emulate dust build-up on the monitor, or a virtual keyboard with actual yellowing keys!

Or even adf files that degrade with age, just like the real thing....

Old 17 September 2004, 16:27   #37
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga
I solved the problem :-)
I installed the games on hard disk with WHDLOAD.
They run quite well (without frame skipping) even on my PII
I was going to bypass this thread, (In light of other well thought out comments by several other posters already), but it has to be asked-
If you've solved your problem to your own satisfaction, don't you think you owe an apology to Toni for some rather hasty, ill thought-out commentary?
Manners never cost anything.
Old 17 September 2004, 17:35   #38
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-Zark-7
I was going to bypass this thread, (In light of other well thought out comments by several other posters already), but it has to be asked-
If you've solved your problem to your own satisfaction, don't you think you owe an apology to Toni for some rather hasty, ill thought-out commentary?
Manners never cost anything.

yeah sure. Why not? What's stopping me from saying: "Sorry Toni, u're the greatest programmer in the world" ???
Old 08 February 2006, 10:37   #39
Ted Striker

amiga cd32 emulation problems

Hi There, This is my 1st time on here. I have a few problems regarding amiga cd32 emulation. All i want to do is play cd32 games on my xp laptop. I'm hoping that someone can give me very basic instructions to do so. I have dloaded uae, but dont know where to start. It just keeps saying something about missing roms???. I also have a disk called a cd444 which i used to run on my cd32, it contains 444 games. Will i be able to use this on my laptop? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08 February 2006, 13:05   #40
Ironclaw
Banned

I play Amiga/CD32 games all days long on my laptop with WinUAE. What you need is 2 rom files (kickstarts) which is illegal to ask for if you don't have an Amiga (they can all be found and downloaded using a torrent program like emule etc).

CD32 Extended-ROM rev 40.60 (1993)(Commodore)(CD32).rom
Kickstart v3.1 rev 40.60 (1993)(Commodore)(CD32).rom