English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 14 September 2004, 23:24   #1
Macca
Zone Friend

Big grin ClassicWB Update rather than full installation?

As I have ClassicWB installed I wondered if and when the next version is produced I will be able to update to it rather than having to reinstall the lot?

Obviously be easier if I could just copy a file to CD and it would do the rest rather than having to set it all up on an emulator and then copy it across from there...

Yes I am lazy - hehe
Old 14 September 2004, 23:45   #2
Macca
Zone Friend

One other thing while I'm having a look at the current ClassicWB - you have it in a HDF format - this is so hard to extract to a proper Amiga... any chance you can have a installation choice?

Stupid niggles I know but for real Amiga users it makes it a lot more hardwork to get this superb product working...
Old 15 September 2004, 11:42   #3
Bloodwych

Thanks for bringing these points up macca, because I'm sure others will be asking similar questions and I can deal with it here.

There is a reason for the HDF – it actually allows the size of each pack to be reduced significantly and being on a 33K upload convinced me that’s the way to go.

Also, I’ve had people complain the "zip only" method is too much work to install in WinUAE. Many people have Windows XP and actually hook up their real Amiga hard disk to the PC and copy the HDF contents over using an emulator. With this in mind, I feel this really is the best balance and allows you to have a complete Workbench (files from WB disk copied over) once you’ve booted the HDF once. Very similar to AIAB.

As for those who still use the zip method - it’s very easy to create the zip file in an emulator and saves me doing it my end. A config and full instructions are provided. The install disk still present. This time the install disk doesn’t need to ask for the Workbench disk Amiga side because it’s been done in an emulator.

As for updates, I considered this, I really have, but it’s just way too much messing around. At the moment I have a system that allows me to double click an icon for each Workbench and they’re ready for public release.

Going back to the zip/update route, I’d have to wait while zipping up each Workbench, make a copy of the zip for the update packs and remember exactly what files I’ve updated so the rest can be discarded, then upload the lot at the larger file sizes.

I can understand why you don’t want to re-install workbench when an update comes along and that’s why I try to list the changes so users can decide to do the upgrades themselves. Hopefully any upgrades will be simple ones from now on – SFS, WHDload, Virus Checker – these can all be done by the user. If not remember that only Workbench related files on your Amiga partition/partitions need be deleted or even just overwritten – not demos and games.

Old 15 September 2004, 16:41   #4
Macca
Zone Friend

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

I'll look more at the instructions when I get back to see if I can do it - for some reason when I copied over from the HDF to a virtual DH1 and then obviously booted from the DH1 (changed to DH0) the damn thing kept resetting...

I'll let you know how my messing goes... and suggest some more weird things very soon!

Macca
Old 10 January 2005, 02:25   #5
EmuChicken

... HDF... grr!! Confused me no end :-s ... thought it was a winuae file, dangit!

ok lets get this zipping (dannng!)
Old 10 January 2005, 15:01   #6
EmuChicken

ok zipped, extracted, and nothing works! FFEKLEFMIMAZ!!!

mind I zipped in winrar and then extracted and no commands work, this is far too much just to install an operating system!
Old 11 January 2005, 23:33   #7
Bloodwych

Hey, it's good old emu the web page star!

It's easy emu, just ask fellow AmigaGames member KillerG!

All the instructions are on the website and a copy of the site included in the packs. Have another look and read through.

Installation is easy - mount the HDF in winuae using a suitable A1200 setup, start emulation and follow the onscreen instructions.

For real amigas, the zip file is best created using Dopus. Again full instructions are already provided.