English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL news

Old 31 December 2011, 14:23   #1
Toaks

Conan The Cimmerian trivia and unknown? news?

hey,

found some really strange stuff at the virgin site regarding Conan, it pointed towards some magazine info october 1992 by Amiga Power.

I had a look at AMR to confirm it.

See page PAGE 93 of the 1992 October issue.

The guy in charge says, there was no money left, the game will never be finished etc.

now.. go to HOL, the game there is listed as released in 1991....
WTF? who is right `? was there a second game with the same name from the same developer?

I got the game on orginal with box and manual etc, it does say 1991 indeed but according to my reciet i bought it in 1993 at a price of 199,- nok (about 21,99GBP)

I can't remember if i completed the game or not, most likely not but it didnt feel unfinished IMO.

cheers

PS: links to the stuff:
http://hol.abime.net/3075
http://amr.abime.net/issue_18_pages (select page 93)
Old 31 December 2011, 23:15   #2
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Interesting game!. Didn't know there was a game based on conan for the amiga. Will check it out
Old 01 January 2012, 04:30   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaks View Post
hey,

found some really strange stuff at the virgin site regarding Conan, it pointed towards some magazine info october 1992 by Amiga Power.

The guy in charge says, there was no money left, the game will never be finished etc.

WTF? who is right `? was there a second game with the same name from the same developer?

I got the game on orginal with box and manual etc, it does say 1991 indeed but according to my reciet i bought it in 1993 at a price of 199,- nok (about 21,99GBP)

I can't remember if i completed the game or not, most likely not but it didnt feel unfinished IMO.

cheers

Would you mind to create ADF from your original disks Toads and zone them ?
Old 01 January 2012, 15:03   #4
winloze99
Zone Friend

This game does exist as WHDLoad.
Must try it out some day.
Old 01 January 2012, 16:12   #5
Trypticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaks View Post
hey,

cheers

I'm guessing the 1991 is just the copyright based on the DOS-release, the Amiga version was presumably released in 1992 based on the review in Génération 4 mentioned at hol. The lack of other reviews is odd however and the Génération 4 situation isn't exactly clear to me as well without seeing actual scans - according to what's listed at hol, there was a 1991 review of the PC version with a score of over 90%, and then later another with just 75% with Amiga and PC listed as systems.
Old 11 January 2012, 10:35   #6
Toaks

@winloze96

i know, as i supported them with the DiskImages.

@trypticon
I am guessing the same aswell.
Tried to look them up on Facebook, sadly there was like 100s of hits
Old 07 October 2013, 19:50   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

A reply to an old thread, I know, but I only recently bought this obscure game........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaks

I got the game on orginal with box and manual etc, it does say 1991 indeed
Same with my boxed copy. When I checked the datestamps of the files on the disk, they were all from November 1991.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypticon View Post
I'm guessing the 1991 is just the copyright based on the DOS-release, the Amiga version was presumably released in 1992 based on the review in Génération 4 mentioned at hol. The lack of other reviews is odd however and the Génération 4 situation isn't exactly clear to me as well without seeing actual scans - according to what's listed at hol,
The Génération 4 review was from the Feb '92 issue, but was probably done in 1991. Computer magazines back then routinely released issues 2-3 months ahead of time, so the Feb '92 issue was probably released before Christmas 1991 in France back in the day.

Between the datestamps and the Génération 4 review, the Amiga version was probably released in 1991 after all. The cracked version by Oracle was also released in 1991, so chances are......
Old 07 October 2013, 20:52   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
in france it's a 1 month period. what you had in November was made for december, december for january, and so on.

This game seems to have been badly distributed, and worse, UBISOFT was the french publisher for this Virgin Title back in the day.

Why is it so rare ? it's unknown.
Old 07 October 2013, 22:06   #9
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
in france it's a 1 month period. what you had in November was made for december, december for january, and so on.
That's actually handy to know! Wonder if the release of German magazines were the same or not.

Quote:
This game seems to have been badly distributed, and worse, UBISOFT was the french publisher for this Virgin Title back in the day.

Why is it so rare ? it's unknown.
Being a Virgin game, I really have no idea why it is so obscure. It doesn't seem to be a terrible game either.
Old 07 October 2013, 22:22   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
That's actually handy to know! Wonder if the release of German magazines were the same or not.
Yep, here the December episode got (and still gets) published in November (and probably was/is written between September and October) too. If a game was reviewed in February '92, it's safe to assume that the press copies were at least sent in late '91.
Old 02 November 2013, 19:21   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Thanks TCD! Hard to imagine that the game wouldn't have been released by Virgin in time for Christmas '91 if they had review copies to the Euro mags before then.

Interestingly, the game was developed in the U.S. by Synergistic, which may explain why the game is so obscure (and may have slightly delayed the Euro release). One of those games where it would be interesting to hear from the developers......

EDIT: Shame that another planned Conan game - Hyboria: Conan the Conqueror - never made it to release. Looked pretty good from the previews!

http://amr.abime.net/amr_search.php?...Mozilla-search

Last edited by DrBong; 02 November 2013 at 19:34.