English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 November 2005, 13:07   #1
Frog

Turrican 2 Freedom Western Remix

i just found an "interesting" remix of Turrican 2 done by AmiGamer.

It's an Ennio Morricone conversion, you can listen it at http://www.amigaremix.com/main.php

Great work AmiGamer !
Old 20 November 2005, 19:21   #2
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Woah, that's incredible. I want to know how on earth he managed to pull off something as awesome sounding as that. Simply stunning.
Old 20 November 2005, 20:58   #3
sw2001

That's really a nice one. Thanks for that.
Old 21 November 2005, 00:29   #4
wanderer
I want an A1000

Great! But the feel of the original tune is totally gone. (After sec. 1:17...)
Old 21 November 2005, 02:05   #5
Mnemesi

This sounds so close to one of the themes from the Good, Bad, and Ugly, it'd probably get dragged into copyright infringement court in a heartbeat.
Old 17 June 2006, 00:11   #6
AmiGamer

Hi folks, i just googled for "AmiGamer" and found Your notes, so i thought i'd register and do two things:
1.) Thank you for your nice comments regarding my Turrican 2 remix, i'm very happy to hear so many people seem to like it... makes all those hours in the hobby cellar pay out at last
2.) Clear up a misunderstanding... in this remix, i have actually used the original version of "Ecstasy of Gold" from the "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" soundtrack, which i have on CD... basically, what you hear here is the original soundtrack mixed with me playing the Turrican Part over it on my keyboards. The idea behind this was to demonstrate how well Morricone's masterpiece goes together with the Turrican soundtrack, and in oder to emphasize this point, i used the original Morricone soundtrack rather than re-playing it on my keyboards.
You can read detailed comments i submitted along with my remix here:
http://www.remix64.com/tune_25701.html
And if you'd like to hear more amiga-themed remixes i wrote, you can get them here:
http://www.amigaremix.com/main.php?s...migamer&page=0
Thanks again for listening!
Cheers,
AmiGamer

Old 17 June 2006, 00:44   #7
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

AmiGamer.....MIGHTY impressive!

I've listened to all six remixes on your website and this is exactly my kind of taste. I have many Bjorn Lynne CD's, Allistair Brimble CD's, etc, but I've also been interested in those classic Amiga game mods being remixed and updated and yours is by far the best I've heard.

Whilst these are freely available to listen to, and providing I haven't missed something, do you intend to do a CD compilation? Or do you know of any that has been done?
Old 17 June 2006, 16:34   #8
AmiGamer

remix CDs

Hi quahappy, and thank you very much, great to hear you enjoy my work.
As for the CD, there are two "official" remix-CDs i know of, though they're remixes of C64-based games.. I think you can order them at http://www.remix64.com/remix64_v1.html and http://www.remix64.com/remix64_v2.html
I have never produced a CD and don't have any plans for this in the near future because i lack the money and the knowledge regarding copyright and stuff... the game companies don't seem to mind free distributed stuff but their attitude might change once us remixers start to get money out of this
Of course, should amigaremix.com (or remix46.com , i might soon start to submit some remixes there too) ask me if they can include any of my tracks on their CDs, i wouldn't mind..
Regards,
AmiGamer

Old 20 June 2006, 01:05   #9
wanderer
I want an A1000

Great work AmiGamer! Here's my suggestion/humble request for a future project: the in-game music of Stormlord (I think it's the same on all stages), it'd make an epic in your capable hands!
Old 20 June 2006, 22:05   #10
AmiGamer

Wanderer, thank you very much.
I must admit i've never played "Stormlord" but i'll look for an emulation or sound file.
Just yesterday, i've finished a new remix... remember that funky soundtrack in the medieval leven of "Lemmings:Tribes"? *g*
Nothing too spectacular this time but it sounds nice... looking forward to having it uploaded at amigaremix.com (although this usually takes a while) and hearing what people think about it..
Regards,
AmiGamer

Old 20 June 2006, 22:38   #11
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiGamer
Hi quahappy, and thank you very much, great to hear you enjoy my work.
No worries.... I get sick of what's in the music charts today (half of 'em can't sing! well, that's my opinion or I am getting old!) and I much prefer to listen to any form of instrumental music
Quote:
As for the CD, there are two "official" remix-CDs i know of, though they're remixes of C64-based games.. I think you can order them at http://www.remix64.com/remix64_v1.html and http://www.remix64.com/remix64_v2.html.
Thanks for the links. Had a listen to the previews and those SID mods certainly brings back memories. Then of course, the remixes are excellent. Those CD's are on my shopping list now
Quote:
I have never produced a CD and don't have any plans for this in the near future because i lack the money and the knowledge regarding copyright and stuff... the game companies don't seem to mind free distributed stuff but their attitude might change once us remixers start to get money out of this
You'd think companies or even the original musicians would be honoured of having there game tunes remixed
Quote:
Of course, should amigaremix.com (or remix46.com , i might soon start to submit some remixes there too) ask me if they can include any of my tracks on their CDs, i wouldn't mind..
Regards,
AmiGamer
That would be well
I'll keep watching this space!
Keep up the excellent work
Old 21 June 2006, 02:59   #12
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Wanderer, thank you very much.
I must admit i've never played "Stormlord" but i'll look for an emulation or sound file.
Just yesterday, i've finished a new remix... remember that funky soundtrack in the medieval leven of "Lemmings:Tribes"? *g*
Nothing too spectacular this time but it sounds nice... looking forward to having it uploaded at amigaremix.com (although this usually takes a while) and hearing what people think about it..
Regards,
AmiGamer
Looking forward to hearing it then! Take a look at the Zone, I've uploaded the Stormlord tunes (by the Maniacs Of Noise) and the game. They're in 4+MB mp3 format since I couldn't get the original rips (from Exotica) to work in Deliplayer.
You'll have to play the game to get into the mood! If you persist a bit, it's a great, rewarding game.
Old 21 June 2006, 03:08   #13
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@quahappy speaking of modern music i see top of the pops is about to end after the end of this month! Was compulsory viewing in the 80's and i know what u mean about chart music what garbage lol and yes m8 we are getting to old

@AmiGer yeah heard some of your mixes awesome will deffo check out the turrican remix tho sounds awesome! And indeed stormlord would be worthy of a remix too!
Maniacs of noise originally on the c64 i think (could be wrong tho)
Old 21 June 2006, 03:22   #14
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@AmiGer you could always post the lemmings tribes remix in the zone i think that would be allowed seen as it's amiga related in the mean time we wait for it to appear on amigaremix.com
Old 21 June 2006, 07:53   #15
blade002
Zone Friend

Both the Turrican 2 & The Good the Bad & the Ugly tunes are absolute classic masterpieces!.. the way you have mixed them both together AmiGamer is brilliant
Old 21 June 2006, 09:24   #16
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
@quahappy speaking of modern music i see top of the pops is about to end after the end of this month! Was compulsory viewing in the 80's and i know what u mean about chart music what garbage lol and yes m8 we are getting to old
ToTP's ending?! Awwww...... it'll be missed just to laugh at the crap they had on it! Prefer ToTP 2 (BBC2)

You're right.... must be getting old! Gone from those 80's classics pop/rock (which I think ya still can't beat!) all the way to instrumental, which I suppose comes under "easy listening" in shop category?! and gawd knows what I'll be listening to in 10 years.... Max Bygraves?! Yikes! Do like some of the 60s stuff though... now where did i put my tank top and rubik cube?

@AmiGamer
I think there's going to be quite a few requests for updates of old mods for you to remix on this thread!
Old 22 June 2006, 04:01   #17
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@quahappy i love instrumental stuff from Telstar & a walk in the blackforest (not heard for many years) to the shadows and then later Jarre and game mixes like the ones Amiger and other legends from the c64 have brought us infact shut up with all the singing and let us listen to the music I think the easy listening would these days be supermarket or lift music

@Amiger just listend to the Turrican 2 remix awesome love it hardly sounds like turrican because of it's influence but yet it is turrican if it looses it's turrican appeal i suppose thats down to the nature of the theme tune it's wrapped in and around and i commend your keyboard playing skills I just wish i didn't have the musical talent of a soggy weetabix
Old 22 June 2006, 04:10   #18
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

For anyone who hasn't looked here's Amigers contributions to Amigaremix.com

Name Arranger Composer Size Preview Info Rating
2006-03-29 Seven Gates of Jambala - Heavy Metal Gates AmiGamer Jochen Hippel 4.65 MB
2006-03-29 Desert Dreams - Part One - Sunset Dunes Mix AmiGamer Anders E. Hansen (Laxity) 8.85 MB
2005-12-02 James Pond 2 - Robocod X-mas mix AmiGamer Richard Joseph 3.38 MB
2005-10-29 Turrican 2: Freedom - Western Remix AmiGamer Ennio Morricone & Chris Hülsbeck 7.22 MB
2005-09-24 Turrican II - The Great Bath AmiGamer Chris Hülsbeck 6.46 MB
2005-08-24 Monkey Island Theme AmiGamer Michael Land

I highly recomend the last two songs both are awesome!
Sorry if it's a little unorganised!
Old 22 June 2006, 11:49   #19
Paul
RIP Friends

I like the Desert Dreams one the most
Old 22 June 2006, 14:37   #20
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

@sarek2k
Spooky! Our taste are so similar! Jean Michel Jarre (got near enough every tape & CD), The Shadows, Vangelis, Telstar, all those Synthesier remix CD's, and more.... even 80s chart-toppers 12' remix instrument singles! As you say, singing hides good backing music. When I'm driving and the wife is with me, out comes JMJ and into the CD player goes Robbie Williams!

@Paul
Excellent tracks are Desert Dreams. Another one I'd like to see remixed is Enigma from World of Commodore demo

@AmiGamer
Lemmings remix?! Look forward to hearing that one too heh heh.
Out of curiosity, what setup do you use?

I had a Yamaha MIDI keyboard connected up to my A500 running Sonix years ago. Wires all over the place and the trouble I had getting Sonix and the keyboard in sync! As for recording tracks on to tape - I felt they were crap so I didn't bother! I just used the keyboard for Bass and Drums (4 channels), and the Strings, etc. within Sonix (the other four channels).