English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 April 2002, 00:19   #1
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Question What is your favourite adventure game? (all platforms)

what a totally original idea this is

shoot'em-ups have ruled the board for too long now (although i do like them) so lets hear what your favourite adventure games are, and as with the shoot'em-up thread, it can be any platform, try and describe why you like it so much and try and attach a screenshot if possible.

just make sure its an adventure and not a rpg because that can be a entirely new thread!

i think mine has to be monkey island 2, it looked good (which does help) had some great puzzles and a really funny story which makes it so great. but there are lots of other great adventures out there so lets hear em!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monk2.png
Views:	487
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2155  
Old 09 April 2002, 00:28   #2
Uukrul

Broken Sword 2

Old 09 April 2002, 00:52   #3
RCK
Administrator

Indy 4
Old 09 April 2002, 00:59   #4
oldpx

Simon

Old 09 April 2002, 01:03   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

i just love the level of depth you guys have gone to there
Old 09 April 2002, 01:11   #6
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath
i just love the level of depth you guys have gone to there
There is a spanish proverb that says "Lo bueno, si breve, dos veces bueno" (the short way is always the best way)

Old 09 April 2002, 01:12   #7
Djay
95th User

if Final Fantasy 7 counts, i'll go with that.

a huge emotional adventure, with great character storylines, lots of things to collect, enemies to fight and a near unlimited game length...

FF7 provokes so many emotions
Old 09 April 2002, 01:27   #8
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

nooooooooooooo FF7 is an RPG (although some people would dispute this) i agree its a great game, but your have to pick another

although this next statement isnt entirely accurate it should help distinguish whats an rpg and whats an adventure, rpg's have stats in them, health, magic points, strength etc etc. adventures dont
Old 09 April 2002, 01:43   #9
Djay
95th User

Quote:
nooooooooooooo FF7 is an RPG
i thought you might say that, and i agree, just tried to slip it through the net

okay then, how about discworld

i kinds liked the humour in the books, and it crossed over to the game well
Old 09 April 2002, 01:44   #10
Ian
Global Moderator

Monkey Island 4.

Maybe Grim Fandango, but I haven't played that much yet.

I like the new 3D engine for the monkey series, makes it more playable in my opinion (Grim Fandango is the same). Very easy to control, it's much better than point and click anyway.

Can't remember much about the ending on Monkey 4 since it's been a while since I last played it, but I highly recommend it to anyone.

If you are talking about conventional point-and-click adventures I'd have to say Sam & Max Hit the Road or Day of the Tentacle.
Old 09 April 2002, 01:53   #11
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

@djay
yup the discworld games are great, very funny, although discworld 1 was just tooo hard

@ian
you liked the 3d engine in MI4????
i loved most things about it, the blend of 3d and 2d worked quite well, but the method of controlling it is awful and is aimed at the growing number of console users!

give me a mouse anyday

of course all lucasfilm/arts adventure games were good, but it doesnt have to be a point n click, it could be a text adventure! (lets see the age of some people here)
Old 09 April 2002, 01:55   #12
Djay
95th User

Quote:
give me a mouse anyday
i get sooooo many people saying "can you recommend me a good gamepad for playing Unreal Tournament", damn PC newbies
Old 09 April 2002, 02:03   #13
oldpx

heheh I had my first gamepad long before I had a mouse, they offer different experiences, but playing UT with a gamepad? It's not wise at all

Old 09 April 2002, 04:04   #14
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Well, I may be the only one who feels this way, but when it comes to adventure games, my heart still belongs to the old Infocom classics, whose graphics were formed only in my head, with a depth of detail that I've yet to see supplied by in-game graphics in any game. Too many adventures seemed in the past to assume that if they had graphics, they no longer needed to expend any real effort in the writing. Graphics are nice, but when I'm supposed to be able to recognize an object that is 5 pixels wide and 3 pixels high, that goes beyond merely bordering on the absurd.

As for the Infocom titles, picking any one is difficult, but of those I've completed, I'd probably say I enjoyed Planetfall the most, followed closely by Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I would perhaps reverse the order were it not for the fact that at one point in HHGTTG, the game simply lied to me. I have of course forgiven it but will ... <sniff> ... never forget the slight.

I'd include a screen shot, but that would be utterly boring I'm afraid, as it would look pretty much like the rest of this post (if you omit the smiley).
Old 09 April 2002, 04:25   #15
RocketMack

I don't know if these count, but Mortville Manor and it's follow up Maupiti Island are my all time favorites in adventure gaming. The mood and atmosphere they generate are excellent.

They were certainly ahead of their time, using speech synthesis and view screen point and click manipulation of objects. I also like Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu which are along the same lines, but Mortville Manor makes me feel more like I'm really there with better control of my surroundings.

I prefer these titles over the 3D sims of today. They're more like chess games than just running and shooting. They give you the time and ability to contemplate your moves...

Old 09 April 2002, 05:27   #16
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmmm.. I'll go for both Secret of Monkey Islands.. I haven't played the new ones, but the 1st and 2nd games are just top notch, good puzzles, nice plot and one joke after other... I love them.

As for text adventures... I liked Hitchhiker's guide to galaxy, Adventure Quest (from Level 9) and Cobra's Ark (from Dinamic, I dunno if many people know it, I think it was released only for Spectrum and MSX ) ..... The last 2 have graphics, and cobra's ark even have a kind of icons interface , but both are text-adventures at heart .
Old 09 April 2002, 06:55   #17
Drake1009

Most definately Day of the Tentacle.
Old 09 April 2002, 09:07   #18
Riempie
Amiga freak

I'll defintely go for all the Moneky Island games (up to part 4),

I've got originals of all the games except for Monkey 2. Monkey Island was the first adventure I ever saw and this game really impressed me and I could never let it go.

I never had a PC up to 1996 so I didn't play the games on the PC. But in 1998 I downloaded Day of the Tentacle, if this game had been released on the Amiga, then this one would be one of my favourites too.
Old 09 April 2002, 10:41   #19
RCK
Administrator

DOTT !!!! I forgot it !
DOTT & Maniac mansion rules
Old 09 April 2002, 11:05   #20
Walker

It's impossible to compare a text adventure game with an animated gfx adventure game, so I have to give two different answers:

Text adventure: Knight Orc (Level 9) and Hollywood Hijinx (Infocom)

Gfx adventure: Simon the Sorcerer (Adventuresoft)