English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 20 November 2016, 16:07   #1
MrD

Anybody recognise this 'did did did' screen? Is it a virus?

I was going through my box of 'shadies' - all the lousy disks that I never ever use and have put aside to be overwritten for better things. Somehow, I just don't think I need a dozen copies of Pen Pal!

Among them I've found a disk on which my grandad simply wrote '?? Don't understand'. When you boot from it on an a500/a600 you get this screen. No sound.

http://i.imgur.com/LYygnHw.jpg

I'm curious what it could be. Is it some guy's random test project? Or is it some weird virus? I'll have a proper look at the disk contents later (I think it wasn't standard amigados though) if anybody is also curious.
Old 20 November 2016, 16:35   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

It may be second disk of game or scene demo. I think I saw it but my memory have some holes. You may try to see disk name in Workbench if it's DOS disk.
Old 20 November 2016, 16:40   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
I was going through my box of 'shadies' - all the lousy disks that I never ever use and have put aside to be overwritten for better things. Somehow, I just don't think I need a dozen copies of Pen Pal!

Among them I've found a disk on which my grandad simply wrote '?? Don't understand'. When you boot from it on an a500/a600 you get this screen. No sound.

http://i.imgur.com/LYygnHw.jpg

I'm curious what it could be. Is it some guy's random test project? Or is it some weird virus? I'll have a proper look at the disk contents later (I think it wasn't standard amigados though) if anybody is also curious.
This is F29-Retaliator Amiga DID intro screen.
Old 20 November 2016, 16:40   #4
Anakirob
Unregistered User

It's the logo of game developer Digital Image Design
It looks like the screen on the right, I couldn't tell you which game it's from though.
-=edit=-
While I was making my post dlfrsilver beat me to it with more helpful info.
Old 20 November 2016, 17:18   #5
MrD

Ah! Phenomenal work.

I feel like a bit of a div now. The disk even has 'Retaliator' written on it! I assumed that he'd overwritten it himself with some obscure thing he'd found on a BBS.

http://i.imgur.com/iT9vvva.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I wonder if he didn't understand the game (I still can't play Amiga flight sims for toffee after twenty years...), or he thought it was a game called 'Retaliator 2' and when he put it in, all it did was the mysterious, virus-like, somewhat unsettling 'did' screen. I've just tried booting from another copy of Retaliator Disk 2 and I'm seeing the 'did's myself.

Also turns out that the game just doesn't run on (my) A600. If you boot from either Disk 1 or 2, you get stuck at the 'did's with the floppy motor going. But on an A500, it loads for a bit and asks you to insert Disk 1 (which is nice!) A1200 goes red and crashes instead of displaying the message.

Last edited by MrD; 20 November 2016 at 17:29.