Old 01 October 2019, 18:56   #21
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Nice! Thanks for the help!
Old 03 October 2023, 00:28   #22
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Hmmm... yes. The reason is in the linker libraries, not in your code. Even if you compile with -sc and -sd and link with -lvcs, the vcs.lib itself was only compiled with -sd, but not with -sc. So all calls from the vcs.lib are absolute.

I wonder if I should change that for the upcoming release. When you link with a small-data library, does it make sense to always have small-code as well? Probably.
Would it also be possible to have it automatically link with a small-code link library when compiling only with -sc?

A somewhat unorthodox idea maybe, but would it be feasible to compile the link library on the fly with the same options as the code?
Old 03 October 2023, 01:30   #23
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Would it also be possible to have it automatically link with a small-code link library when compiling only with -sc?
Theoretically, yes.
The problem I have is that I do not like to compile libraries for all combinations of -sc and -sd.

Quote:
A somewhat unorthodox idea maybe, but would it be feasible to compile the link library on the fly with the same options as the code?
You mean, that the linker patches all absolute jumps with relative ones (or branches)? Not impossible. But you would probably like relative jumps to be two bytes smaller, and moving code is something the linker cannot easily do.

What I could imagine is to compile all small-data libraries with -sc, and whenever the distance becomes too large the linker might generate ALVs (automatic link vectors - adding absolute JMP instructions at the object unit's section borders).

I wanted to add ALVs to vlink long ago, but never really needed them. So this would be a reason...
Old 04 October 2023, 01:10   #24
patrik

Quote:
Theoretically, yes.
The problem I have is that I do not like to compile libraries for all combinations of -sc and -sd.
I see the point, but I do wish .

Quote:
You mean, that the linker patches all absolute jumps with relative ones (or branches)? Not impossible. But you would probably like relative jumps to be two bytes smaller, and moving code is something the linker cannot easily do
My idea was way more crude and as said unorthodox: vbcc would also ask vasm (?) to compile the linker library from source with the options used and pass that result along to the linker to link with

Quote:
What I could imagine is to compile all small-data libraries with -sc, and whenever the distance becomes too large the linker might generate ALVs (automatic link vectors - adding absolute JMP instructions at the object unit's section borders).

I wanted to add ALVs to vlink long ago, but never really needed them. So this would be a reason...