English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 February 2021, 12:19   #1
hitm4n

2 simple questions

Hi Toni. Long time user of WinUAE, absolutely love the forward strides you keep making with this. I dip in every few years, but lately i'm dipping in to stay, setting this up on an emualtion box to sit under my BIG tv and will be using it a LOT moving forward.

Damiens pack is awesome, i think i've got it working pretty much how i need it, but i do have a couple of questions. Hope you have time (or anyone else) to answer.

1. When launching games into a fullscreen mode, when i press F12 i don't also get the config screenshots window back. If i drop to windows mode first, LEFTCTRL+F12, then press F12, i do get that window back. Is this known, a bug, or intended behaviour?

2. Are there any options for messing with the led sizes and positions by config file or registry?

1b. (definately not a third question ) Quitting a game back to WinUAE menu without having to reload WinUAE. Is this possible? Or could a key (or keys) be added which essentially turns off the Amiga without closing WinUAE? Damien suggested if i used my method (LEFTCTRL+F12 + F12) i would be loading games on top of each other. My understanding would be that the Amiga is reset when double clicking a new config file. What happens really?

Many thanks.
Simon.

Last edited by hitm4n; 13 February 2021 at 11:09. Reason: formatting and 3rd question (which isn't a third)
Old 11 February 2021, 14:42   #2
DamienD
Banned

Toni must really hate me

A load of questions always come out from using / in relation to my collection

Oh BTW hitm4n, that's 3 questions
Old 11 February 2021, 14:55   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Oh BTW hitm4n, that's 3 questions
I was just about to say, I had 2 fingers left and last time I checked there were still all 5 on there.
Old 13 February 2021, 11:07   #4
hitm4n

Lol, i had 2 in my head when i started and thought of a third while writing, i suppose i can edit the title if its making peoples brains explode. If theres a WinUAE resource somewhere i can get these answers from i will happily go read, or i'll wait for Toni.
Old 13 February 2021, 12:11   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1: Not sure It won't be visible in fullscreen mode but I am not sure what happens when switching modes.

2: There are some mostly undocumented and only partially supported ones. (show_leds_enabled and osd_position config file entries, perhaps this forum has some details..)

1b: No but it should have had one. "Restart" input event will be added. Loading new config file when emulation has already been started is same as first pressing "Restart" button (which kills current active emulation) and then loading new config file.
Old 13 February 2021, 13:18   #6
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
1: Not sure It won't be visible in fullscreen mode but I am not sure what happens when switching modes.
OK, cool. I can work with changing to windowed first, screenshots aren't a total necessity when switching from one game to another.

Quote:
There are some mostly undocumented and only partially supported ones. (show_leds_enabled and osd_position config file entries, perhaps this forum has some details..)
I'll hunt around.
Quote:
No but it should have had one. "Restart" input event will be added.
COOL

Thanks for info.
Simon.
Old 13 February 2021, 16:03   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
2. Are there any options for messing with the led sizes and positions by config file or registry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
2: There are some mostly undocumented and only partially supported ones. (show_leds_enabled and osd_position config file entries, perhaps this forum has some details..)
The LEDs are quite large in my collection due to the resolutions that I've set i.e. 640 x 480 and 720 x 576. Unfortunately it's just the way it is...

They would be smaller if I used "Native" and then a multiplier:
...but I can't do that, see here.

As for LED options, these are the ones I know of:

show_leds=
true or false

show_leds_enabled=
cpu,fps,power,hd,cd,net,df0,df1,df2,md

"md" can be replaced with "df3" if you like.

osd_position=
"0:0%" is the normal default i.e all the way to the left and the bottom of the screen.
"0:100%" means all the way to the left and the top of the screen.
"32:0%" means horizontal roughly half way and the bottom of the screen.
Old 13 February 2021, 17:15   #8
hitm4n

Thanks Damien, i can play around with the look with those osd_position options. Those smaller LEDS, like in your secreenshot for Banshee, is what i was referring to when i asked about smaller LEDs before. These are the ones i remember seeing back when i played around with WinUAE and set the display modes up manaually per game. I would generally use 800x600 or higher in full screen modes with doubled lines and centering etc to get the game pictures as full as possible. Always very fiddly to get the display just right and i don't think i ever found a one size fits all combination of settings.

I do like to see what activity is going on, but its an ugly way to do it, particularly in the screenmodes you are using asthey are really big. (Not your fault, just saying).

Centralised along the bottom would be my preference, so i'll give that a go. Any settings changes i'm making are going into that hosts config. Its very useful having that overrride everything else

This has made me think of some possible QOL options for WinUAE.

LEDs, when not active fade away or the LED bar slides down off the screen and pops back up when something changes. Also, a transparency option or an always on top option, or combinations of these things...

I realise coding GUI stuff is the less interesting side from an emulation accuracy perspective, so i don't really expect any of this to happen, but its nice to wish for, and hey if i post this, then its out there and ... who knows.
Old 14 February 2021, 18:54   #9
hitm4n

Quote:
"0:0%" is the normal default i.e all the way to the left and the bottom of the screen.
"0:100%" means all the way to the left and the top of the screen
"32:0%" means horizontal roughly half way and the bottom of the screen
I was having a hell of a game with these instructions till i figured out they were all backwards. Things were not moving around as expected at first. I wish there was some reliable WinUAE documentation around.

After a number of tests...

;osd_position=0:0% is on the right at the top of the screen
;osd_position=0:100% is on the right at the bottom of the screen
;osd_position=32:100% doesn't work (not for me anyway).

If i set 8 or -8 for the horizontal variable, i.e.

osd_position=8:100%

...then it shifts the LEDs offscreen to the right by 8 pixels i guess. 8 or -8, it always shifts them to the right. So how do you shift them to the left?

So i tried percentages... I read that you can just add the percent symbol and it should work. So if 0 is the right hand corner, then 50% will be halfway across the bottom, yes?

osd_position=50%:100%

...no. The LEDs just vanish. -50% is no good either.

osd_position=100%:100% should be far left bottom corner.

But again they are not showing. I tried this in case the LEDs cannot overlay the game screen and will only show in the black side borders.

I did notice that if i press F12 to go to GUI, they appear, and they are in the bottom right corner. They disappear as soon as i leave the GUI and go back to the game. They only seem to reliably appear when the initial variable is 0. I can move them up and down the screen without issue, but cannot seem to move them side to side.

My current override hosts file, working in every other regard is...

config_description=
config_hardware=false
config_host=true
config_version=4.4.0
config_hardware_path=
config_host_path=
config_all_path=
;
;show_leds=true or false
show_leds=true
;
;show_leds_enabled=cpu,fps,power,hd,cd,net,df0,df1,df2,md ("md" can be replaced with "df3")
show_leds_enabled=df0,df1,df2,df3
;
;osd_position="0:0%" ;right:top (horizontal:vertical)
;osd_position="0:100%" ;right:bottom (this is default)
;osd_position="32:100%" ;means roughly halfway along the bottom of the screen (doesn't work)
osd_position=50.0%:100.0%
;
floppy_volume=40
floppy0sound=1
floppy0soundvolume_disk=40
floppy0soundvolume_empty=75
floppy1sound=1
floppy1soundvolume_disk=40
floppy1soundvolume_empty=75
floppy2sound=1
floppy2soundvolume_disk=40
floppy2soundvolume_empty=75
floppy3sound=1
floppy3soundvolume_disk=40
floppy3soundvolume_empty=75
floppy_speed=800
;
sound_stereo_separation=5
;
gfx_display=0
gfx_display_rtg=0
gfx_framerate=1
gfx_width=720
gfx_height=576
gfx_top_windowed=0
gfx_left_windowed=0
gfx_width_windowed=720
gfx_height_windowed=576
gfx_width_fullscreen=720
gfx_height_fullscreen=576
gfx_refreshrate=0
gfx_autoresolution=0
gfx_autoresolution_vga=true
gfx_backbuffers=2
gfx_backbuffers_rtg=1
gfx_vsync=false
gfx_vsyncmode=normal
gfx_vsync_picasso=false
gfx_vsyncmode_picasso=normal
gfx_lores=false
gfx_resolution=hires
gfx_lores_mode=normal
gfx_flickerfixer=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=fullwindow
gfx_fullscreen_picasso=false
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_colour_mode=32bit
gfx_blacker_than_black=false
gfx_api=direct3d
gfx_api_options=hardware
gfx_filter_vert_zoom_multf=2.000000
gfx_filter_horiz_zoom_multf=2.000000
gfx_filter_vert_offsetf=0.000000
gfx_filter_horiz_offsetf=0.000000
gfx_filter_autoscale=none

If anyone has any ideas i would like to get the 4 floppy LEDs in the bottom middle. I am using a 720x576 fullscreenwindow mode with 2x hor+ver scaling and hor+ver centering. I've only been testing this setup with Mean Arenas so far, but the intention is a one size fits all display setup for games on a 1080p TV over HDMI.

I am prepping DamienDs collection on my own PC for now, on a 1080p monitor at 1920x1080. When done i will transfer the whole folder to my other PC which will be HDMId up to the TV.

Current output on monitor is perfect. Almost fullscreen, LEDs showing in corner (nice and small), Floppy sounds are enabled for some authenticity, even though 800% speed is used, scanlines are off, pixels are nice and square and even. (I did try autoscaling (while keeping aspet ratio) for a full fullscreen image but pixels can go a little out of whack in that mode, every few lines introduces and odd shaped pixel. It looked okay, but the 2x scale up is cleaner and theres a bit more wiggle room for games with odd resolutions).

Anyone else got ideas on moving the LEDs to the left along the bottom?
Thanks.

Last edited by hitm4n; 28 March 2021 at 11:01.
Old 15 February 2021, 14:44   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
This has made me think of some possible QOL options for WinUAE.

LEDs, when not active fade away or the LED bar slides down off the screen and pops back up when something changes. Also, a transparency option or an always on top option, or combinations of these things...
Those are really cool thoughts regarding the LEDs

There was discussion about LEDs and putting them down the left / right side, which would also be cool. See this thread.
Old 15 February 2021, 15:04   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I was having a hell of a game with these instructions till i figured out they were all backwards. Things were not moving around as expected at first. I wish there was some reliable WinUAE documentation around.

After a number of tests...

;osd_position=0:0% is on the right at the top of the screen
;osd_position=0:100% is on the right at the bottom of the screen
;osd_position=32:100% doesn't work (not for me anyway).

If i set 8 or -8 for the horizontal variable, i.e.

osd_position=8:100%

...then it shifts the LEDs offscreen to the right by 8 pixels i guess. 8 or -8, it always shifts them to the right. So how do you shift them to the left?

So i tried percentages... I read that you can just add the percent symbol and it should work. So if 0 is the right hand corner, then 50% will be halfway across the bottom, yes?

osd_position=50%:100%

...no. The LEDs just vanish. -50% is no good either.

osd_position=100%:100% should be far left bottom corner.

But again they are not showing. I tried this in case the LEDs cannot overlay the game screen and will only show in the black side borders.

I did notice that if i press F12 to go to GUI, they appear, and they are in the bottom right corner. They disappear as soon as i leave the GUI and go back to the game. They only seem to reliably appear when the initial variable is 0. I can move them up and down the screen without issue, but cannot seem to move them side to side.

My current override hosts file, working in every other regard is...

config_description=
config_hardware=false
config_host=true
config_version=4.4.0
config_hardware_path=
config_host_path=
config_all_path=
;
;show_leds=true or false
show_leds=true
;
;show_leds_enabled=cpu,fps,power,hd,cd,net,df0,df1,df2,md ("md" can be replaced with "df3")
show_leds_enabled=df0,df1,df2,df3
;
;osd_position="0:0%" ;right:top (horizontal:vertical)
;osd_position="0:100%" ;right:bottom (this is default)
;osd_position="32:100%" ;means roughly halfway along the bottom of the screen (doesn't work)
osd_position=50.0%:100.0%
;
floppy_volume=40
floppy0sound=1
floppy0soundvolume_disk=40
floppy0soundvolume_empty=75
floppy1sound=1
floppy1soundvolume_disk=40
floppy1soundvolume_empty=75
floppy2sound=1
floppy2soundvolume_disk=40
floppy2soundvolume_empty=75
floppy3sound=1
floppy3soundvolume_disk=40
floppy3soundvolume_empty=75
floppy_speed=800
;
sound_stereo_separation=5
;
gfx_display=0
gfx_display_rtg=0
gfx_framerate=1
gfx_width=720
gfx_height=576
gfx_top_windowed=0
gfx_left_windowed=0
gfx_width_windowed=720
gfx_height_windowed=576
gfx_width_fullscreen=720
gfx_height_fullscreen=576
gfx_refreshrate=0
gfx_autoresolution=0
gfx_autoresolution_vga=true
gfx_backbuffers=2
gfx_backbuffers_rtg=1
gfx_vsync=false
gfx_vsyncmode=normal
gfx_vsync_picasso=false
gfx_vsyncmode_picasso=normal
gfx_lores=false
gfx_resolution=hires
gfx_lores_mode=normal
gfx_flickerfixer=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=fullwindow
gfx_fullscreen_picasso=false
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_colour_mode=32bit
gfx_blacker_than_black=false
gfx_api=direct3d
gfx_api_options=hardware
gfx_filter_vert_zoom_multf=2.000000
gfx_filter_horiz_zoom_multf=2.000000
gfx_filter_vert_offsetf=0.000000
gfx_filter_horiz_offsetf=0.000000
gfx_filter_autoscale=none

If anyone has any ideas i would like to get the 4 floppy LEDs in the bottom middle. I am using a 720x576 fullscreenwindow mode with 2x hor+ver scaling and hor+ver centering. I've only been testing this setup with Mean Arenas so far, but the intention is a one size fits all display setup for games on a 1080p TV over HDMI.

I am prepping DamienDs collection on my own PC for now, on a 1080p monitor at 1920x1080. When done i will transfer the whole folder to my other PC which will be HDMId up to the TV.

Current output on monitor is perfect. Almost fullscreen, LEDs showing in corner (nice and small), Floppy sounds are enabled for some authenticity, even though 800% speed is used, scanlines are off, pixels are nice and square and even. (I did try autoscaling (while keeping aspet ratio) for a full fullscreen image but pixels can go a little out of whack in that mode, every few lines introduces and odd shaped pixel. It looked okay, but the 2x scale up is cleaner and theres a bit more wiggle room for games with odd resolutions).

Anyone else got ideas on moving the LEDs to the left along the bottom?
Thanks.
Sorry, I probably didn't word this properly...

There is no way to have just the "LED" portion on the left or in the middle.

When you set "osd_position=32:100%", it's actually pushing the "LED" portion too far right off screen.

You have to think of it as a whole bar, can see here that the "inserted disk info" is included:

Old 15 February 2021, 15:10   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:

As mentioned below; I wouldn't be playing with adjusting the "640 x 480" and "720 x 576" resolutions I've set...

Quote:
  • 60% of the games run in a resolution of "640x480", 40% in "720x576", but keep the original aspect ratio (see this post for more details).
...but I guess how you use my collection is really up to you at the end of the day.
Old 15 February 2021, 16:16   #13
hitm4n

My settings just force everything into the 720x576 window and 2x scale it up. This is a pretty genuine size and so far, testing 20 or so games, its worked perfectly. Then that resultant image is displayed fullscreenwindowed at whatever resolution the monitor is running at. Mine is 1080p, same as my TV, so i know that when i move it over it'll be fine. No games have been clipped, all have kept their aspect ratio and they have all been close to fullscreen. The Mean Arenas screenshot above is the closest to the edge any game has come, some have been a little smaller on screen but not by much. I don't have to edit your individual game configs either, its all forced in that hosts file. I created a hardware one too as some settings only apply using a hardware autoload config.

I think you've had a tough time working with the constraints of a reduced screen resolution on your laptop, i'm amazed that over the 15 or so years of doing this you haven't upgraded to something that at least does 1080p yet. Most of us are beyond 1080p now and CPUs and higher resolutions are not a limitation any more.

Regards the LEDs. There are 2 attributes to set. The 2nd being the vertical position in percentage. I need to understand the first attribute. It would seem its just a move to the right modifier, but Toni i'm sure can fill us in.

With overlays possible, and fine positioning of LEDs needed for those overlays, there must be options to set their positions? And if there isn't, they would be nice to have, along with my other ideas. I've read through the 4.4.5 beta thread, seems there are some changes happening to LEDs so we'll have to wait and see i guess.
Old 15 February 2021, 17:45   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
My settings just force everything into the 720x576 window and 2x scale it up. This is a pretty genuine size and so far, testing 20 or so games, its worked perfectly. Then that resultant image is displayed fullscreenwindowed at whatever resolution the monitor is running at. Mine is 1080p, same as my TV, so i know that when i move it over it'll be fine. No games have been clipped, all have kept their aspect ratio and they have all been close to fullscreen. The Mean Arenas screenshot above is the closest to the edge any game has come, some have been a little smaller on screen but not by much. I don't have to edit your individual game configs either, its all forced in that hosts file. I created a hardware one too as some settings only apply using a hardware autoload config.
Oh what you set will work fine but...

Games that were set at "640 x 480" though will now have larger black borders; like my example "Super Cars @ 720x576" and "Shadow of the Beast @ 720x576"... again see here.

Finally, not really sure why you're bothering to set everything to 720 x 576 Full-Window? Besides the LEDs being smaller, what's the difference with how I'd set 720 x 576 Fullscreen?

If you'd set "Native" and 2x multiplier then I'd sort of understand, but again. games I've set as 640 x 480 will now have larger black borders

Quote:
I think you've had a tough time working with the constraints of a reduced screen resolution on your laptop, i'm amazed that over the 15 or so years of doing this you haven't upgraded to something that at least does 1080p yet. Most of us are beyond 1080p now and CPUs and higher resolutions are not a limitation any more.
There is no reason what-so-ever for me to upgrade my laptop or purchase a monitor for WinUAE use.

My current laptop runs everything fine

Quote:
Regards the LEDs. There are 2 attributes to set. The 2nd being the vertical position in percentage. I need to understand the first attribute. It would seem its just a move to the right modifier, but Toni i'm sure can fill us in.

With overlays possible, and fine positioning of LEDs needed for those overlays, there must be options to set their positions? And if there isn't, they would be nice to have, along with my other ideas. I've read through the 4.4.5 beta thread, seems there are some changes happening to LEDs so we'll have to wait and see i guess.
Yes the first variable just shifts everything right but don't forget what I said about treating this area as a whole bar, and not just the LED section.

Last edited by DamienD; 15 February 2021 at 18:54. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
Old 15 February 2021, 19:29   #15
hitm4n

640x480 was never a true Amiga resolution was it? You are using this resolution (for some games) to get close to an Amiga resolution while not having to use any scaling or filtering settings and have it fit on your smaller desktop resolution because, by your own admission, you can't use scaling due to your maximum desktop resolution of 1366xSomething.

I have 1920x1080 to play with.

For me, 720x576 feels and looks more like a genuine Amiga resolution, i can 2x scale it and when using fullscreenwindow it gives me the same result as your settings, at least for most of the games i've tried so far. I must have everything working nice at 1080p for the TV based emulation PC. I get the bonus of the smaller LEDs, F12 takes me to the menu AND gives me the screenshot window back (going from fullscreen doesn't do that) and i no longer have to quit WinUAE and reload it between games. A unified setting also means i can add further games now and not worry about the graphics config and fiddling with resolutions to get it right. Fire and forget. Clone a config, rename it, add the disks and i'm off.

What started me down this path, i did load one of your configs and the intro crack screen was clipped off the top and bottom but the game was okay. My settings, the crack is not clipped off and the game is still okay.

I may have created slightly larger borders for myself on some games compared to your settings, but thats a tradeoff i'm willing to take for the LEDs, no restarts and fire and forget settings.

Back to the LEDs. If the first option only moves the LEDs to the right out of view offscreen, and they are always on the right by default, whats the point of that option? Seems pretty useless to me.

I know the disk name is briefly shown, i wouldn't care if that was pushed off the left side of the screen in favour of the LEDS being in the middle. I feel there is more to these positioning options than we know.
Old 16 February 2021, 00:47   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
640x480 was never a true Amiga resolution was it? You are using this resolution (for some games) to get close to an Amiga resolution while not having to use any scaling or filtering settings and have it fit on your smaller desktop resolution because, by your own admission, you can't use scaling due to your maximum desktop resolution of 1366xSomething.

I have 1920x1080 to play with.

For me, 720x576 feels and looks more like a genuine Amiga resolution, i can 2x scale it and when using fullscreenwindow it gives me the same result as your settings, at least for most of the games i've tried so far. I must have everything working nice at 1080p for the TV based emulation PC. I get the bonus of the smaller LEDs, F12 takes me to the menu AND gives me the screenshot window back (going from fullscreen doesn't do that) and i no longer have to quit WinUAE and reload it between games. A unified setting also means i can add further games now and not worry about the graphics config and fiddling with resolutions to get it right. Fire and forget. Clone a config, rename it, add the disks and i'm off.

What started me down this path, i did load one of your configs and the intro crack screen was clipped off the top and bottom but the game was okay. My settings, the crack is not clipped off and the game is still okay.

I may have created slightly larger borders for myself on some games compared to your settings, but thats a tradeoff i'm willing to take for the LEDs, no restarts and fire and forget settings.
No, 640x480 isn't a true Amiga resolution. I could set 640x400 double-lined though for games that are 320x200.

I could also set 640x512 double-lined for games that are 320x256, but I made the choices I've made as to me they are best in terms of tradeoffs.

Ok, yes some cracktros are cut off at 640x480 double-lined, just small parts of the top and bottom; big deal... I'm well aware of this... but nothing is cut from the games.

To me though the important thing is keeping the correct aspect ratio, that games have minimal black borders and are as large as possible instead of being small screened i.e. when running a 320x200 game at 720x576 double-lined.

Clearly your needs are different. You'd rather have smaller LEDs, see the full cracktro and play 320x200 games on a smaller screen.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. "Liquid Kids" is the only game I've set @ 640x400 double-lined as the game screen is too small. This will look even smaller on a 720x576 double-line screen...

Anyway, I'm ending this discussion with you as there's really no point.

Last edited by DamienD; 16 February 2021 at 01:17. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
Old 16 February 2021, 01:16   #17
hitm4n

Apart from the different end resolution we want the game to ultimately display on, 1366 for you, 1920 for me, i think we want the same end goal of correct aspect ratio and minimal borders. My settings do give me that, i just get there a different way to you and get some benefits along the way. Of course its worth discussing, i'll gladly test peoples solutions on best configuration methods, i would love to hear from people who do run on a 1080p (or even 4k) tv and how they manage multiple game resolutions. I'm very much learning this myself, i'd never used the filter settings before, in the past i've always used a standard of 800x600, doubled lines and games would either have big borders or have cropped edges. Now i'm prepared to dive into it all a bit more and learn a lot more of the options. I think i've learned more about WinUAE in the past week or two than i've learned in the last 10 years using it. I'd never used host files before, now i'm using one for host config and hardware config. I also never had many games in WinUAE where i'd set up my own configs. Most ever was probably about 5 or 6 games, now with your pack, its well over 3000 to play with and i shall be adding a crapload more. I'm really still in the learning and setup phase too, it'll be nice to get it transferred to the other PC and i can just sit back and play some Amiga games like i was 16 again.

I imagine my next issues will be getting every game to work effortlessly with a single bluetooth controller. A lot to learn still