English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 March 2002, 00:59   #1
Zeewolf

CD32 price?

How much would you expect to pay for a CD32?

I can get my hands on one, is it worth me getting hold of one?

Thanx guys

Old 08 March 2002, 08:25   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I bought one for about £25 in London over a year ago - but it may be possible to get one cheaper.

Having one in your hands and using it will actually seem better than you would think, but remember that most of the games are straight ports from normal Amiga versions. So, you can't really play much which is unique on it.
Old 08 March 2002, 08:49   #3
Zeewolf

Ive heard that it is possible to use the cd32 as a cd-drive for the A1200 with the right connections, is this true?

Thanx

Old 08 March 2002, 08:53   #4
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeewolf
Ive heard that it is possible to use the cd32 as a cd-drive for the A1200 with the right connections, is this true?

Thanx
Yes you can but it is slow, better to use a CD-ROM drive hooked up via SCSI or IDE, much much faster.
Old 08 March 2002, 08:58   #5
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
I bought one for about £25 in London over a year ago - but it may be possible to get one cheaper.

Having one in your hands and using it will actually seem better than you would think, but remember that most of the games are straight ports from normal Amiga versions. So, you can't really play much which is unique on it.
A CD32 with FMV card is very cool, you can watch VideoCD's and some of the CD32 games have extra video if you have the FMV card, like Cannon Fodder. Also, Karaoke CDs can be used on a CD32 if your into that kind of thing, my wife likes it. CD32 is also a great Audio CD player with a cool high tech interface designed by Jim Sachs.
Old 08 March 2002, 09:03   #6
Zeewolf

Thanx for the Info Pyro!

Can you still get hold of the fmv card's? Or are they very rare indeed? My girlfriend would love being able to play karaoke on one saving money on actually buying a machine! oh dear i dont think my ears could take it!!

1. Can you play music cd's on a cd32? if so is the quality any good?

2. What is the quality of the karaoke cd's like?

3. Do you need any software to play the karaoke/vcds?

Thanx guys

Old 08 March 2002, 10:12   #7
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeewolf
Thanx for the Info Pyro!

Can you still get hold of the fmv card's? Or are they very rare indeed? My girlfriend would love being able to play karaoke on one saving money on actually buying a machine! oh dear i dont think my ears could take it!!

1. Can you play music cd's on a cd32? if so is the quality any good?

2. What is the quality of the karaoke cd's like?

3. Do you need any software to play the karaoke/vcds?

Thanx guys
FMV cards are rare but can be found, make sure you get a PAL one if your country is PAL or an NTSC one if you are in a NTSC country. Music CD's are plug and play and CDTV/CD32 has a cool gfx based interface for music cd's and karaoke cd's. The quality is very good, the type of Karaoke CD's that you can play are CD+G, you will need the FMV card to play the VideoCD Karaoke CD's. You will not be able to play SVCD Karaoke CD's on CD32 but these are rare anyway.

You don't need special software it is built into the CD32's ROMS.
Old 08 March 2002, 10:36   #8
Zeewolf

LMAO sorry to be a pain in the bum m8!
So you dont need the FMV card to play the karaoke cd&g disks, you just need it to play VCD's? Am I right?

Thanx m8

Old 08 March 2002, 10:52   #9
Zeewolf

Hmmmm I also need to know more about the SX32 if anyone can help me?
Was it an upgrade for the cd32 or was it a standalone machine?
Can you play games off a cd even if they weren't meant for the cd32? i.e can you put old floppy games on cd.

Sorry about all these questions!!

Old 09 March 2002, 04:11   #10
TikTok

Quote:
Hmmmm I also need to know more about the SX32 if anyone can help me?
Was it an upgrade for the cd32 or was it a standalone machine?
The SX32 was an upgrade to the CD32 I believe. It allowed you to add a HD, a keyboard and mouse, and also more memory. There may have also been a slot for an accelerator, but I'm not sure. Oh, and you could add a floppy drive too.

Quote:
Can you play games off a cd even if they weren't meant for the cd32? i.e can you put old floppy games on cd.
Yes and no . There is no reason why you can't play CDs full of PD games on the CD32. However, a hell of a lot of titles require a mouse and/or a keyboard. I remember Amiga Power had huge problems when they were producing their first cover CD because most of the games they could find were like this .

Another thing to be aware of is that many CDs are full of DMS files or LhA archives. You may have some luck with LhA files if the CD includes an automated extract-and-run process (Aminet CDs do this for games), but without a floppy drive you won't be able to use DMS files.

Hope this hopes .
Old 09 March 2002, 09:51   #11
Zeewolf

Quote:
Yes and no . There is no reason why you can't play CDs full of PD games on the CD32. However, a hell of a lot of titles require a mouse and/or a keyboard. I remember Amiga Power had huge problems when they were producing their first cover CD because most of the games they could find were like this .
So then I take it if I had the SX32 module I'd be ok with putting floppies onto cd?
Hopefully!

Thanx in advance

Old 09 March 2002, 11:28   #12
TikTok

I don't see why not. You could just use Transdisk to write the images back (I assume you are talking about putting ADFs on the CDs). Of course, you will have to find a Workbench floppy from somewhere so you can boot and run transdisk .
Old 10 March 2002, 01:23   #13
Zeewolf

Can You still buy brand NEW Cd32's like you can get hold of the Amiga 1200 still? Or will I have to make do with a 2nd hand one?
If I get hold of a 2nd hand one is there anything I should be wary about?

Thanx in advance!!

P.s Sorry about all these questions Ive been asking lately!!

Old 10 March 2002, 13:16   #14
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

I've seen a few un-opened CD32s up for auction, but they are certainly not currently being manufactured as far as I'm aware. However, I don't see a problem with s/h, but you must take into account what condition it may be in (pictures of what you're buying help a great deal here, especially if it's shown running a game). I would imagine the most likely component to fail to be the CD drive mechanism, but I've seen places that still sell such parts.

Also, set a budget for how much you're prepared to pay given the condition, controllers and games included (games like wing commander, dangerous streets, oscar + diggers, cannon fodder are so common it's not worth worrying about)... unless you really want one and don't have a limit.

Finally, make sure that if you're having it delivered that it's packaged well (preferably in the original box / polystyrene), 'cos it would be so sad to lose one by the hands of a courier.
Old 16 March 2002, 10:01   #15
steztheskinhead

Big grin

I got a "Faulty" CD32 off ebay fer £4.99 my thinking being, if it can't be fixed at least I'll have a CD32 Pad to use on my 1200, But.......when the machine turned up it worked perfectly!!! I couldn't beleave it It's still going strong & my Game collection's at 50+ at the moment

Old 16 March 2002, 11:23   #16
Riempie
Amiga freak

Well, I bought an used CD32 a month ago from Computer City, the Amiga dealer of the benelux. I just called them to ask if they still had CD32 consoles left, they just got the used one. I paid too much for it I think (ok, there were some games with it), but they gave me 1 month warranty too, which I think is not bad. The console is in perfect condition except for a big scratch on the top of the console.

I also know an other Amiga dealer in Holland ( www.amigis.nl ) who still has some 'new' CD32 consoles in stock. At the the time I e-mailed them they didn't have many left.

If you search the net for Amiga shops, I think you'll find some who still have some 'new' CD32 consoles buried away somewhere..
Old 20 March 2002, 13:45   #17
minded

I bought my CD32 for 500 sek (50 $) of a freind and it works perfectly.

By the way is there any good site or ftp that you can download cd32 games from ?
Old 20 March 2002, 13:47   #18
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by minded
By the way is there any good site or ftp that you can download cd32 games from ?
Have a look in this thread : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?threadid=2942
Old 25 May 2002, 10:52   #19
terminator_uk

Big grin Expansion Module was called an SX-1

I used to have a CD-32 and the upgrade I bought with it was an SX-1 expansion modual. It turned the CD-32 into vitually an A-1200 as well.

The SX-1 allowed you to plug in a keyboard, an extenal flopply drive, had a parallel for a printer and various other connections that were standard on an A-1200 (like a port for a monitor I think).

It looked like a square box that stuck out quite far out of the back right hand side of the CD-32

Yeah it was very good, wish I'd never sold it now looking back

(ps. if anyone has a version of Diggers that'll run in WinUAE or something for the PC could you send it to maple@nildram.co.uk many thanks)

Old 25 May 2002, 15:13   #20
steztheskinhead

I've just got hold of a SX_1 off Yahoo Auctions. I'm a bit worried about running it with a floppy/hard drive + keyboard though as I've only got the standard PSU at the moment & the manual recommends a bit more power than it can give