English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 March 2016, 18:14   #521
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Fixing "IF" problem with some hardwares

Hi:
I want to try to fix the "IF" problem that some people with some hardwares find after installing AKReal.

In my distro in the s-s in I use a couple of comands to use or not the BootSong or BootScreen.

For them I use:

Code:
;Booting Song
IF EXISTS C:Enabled/BootingSong
 ; run >NIL: C:Play16 SYS:Prefs/Presets/Sounds/AmiKitReal.aiff PRIORITY 1
   run >NIL: C:Play16 SYS:Prefs/Presets/Sounds/Opening_Theme_A.aiff PRIORITY 1
EndIf

; BootScreen ©1994 by Joseph Luk
IF EXISTS C:Enabled/BootScreen
  BootScreen
EndIF

The Files in "Enabled", BootingSong or BootScreen I created as Project use as default tool Sys:Utilities/Multiview. They only have a "1" as text if you edit them.

On WinUAE or my real Amigas there is no problem to run this s-s, but with some hardware then it complains with this message:

IF
Program failed (error #80000003)

I've also tried emulating the Mediator with a CyberStorm with an A4000, but it works perfect, no "IF" problem.

Maybe is the Buddha Ide? I don't know if all the people with problems use it.

Anyway maybe Toni can help. BUT only if somebody with this problem helps too, as I can not recreate it. He needs to know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
...I don't see any other ways than to find someone (preferably more than 1) who can duplicate this and check:

- full version string of if (shell), dos.library, exec and more. *1
- CPU. 68060 only? or also happens with 68040? *2
- Does it happen immediately after setpatch or only after other startup-sequence commands *3
- Does it only crash if IF has specific parameters (EXISTS vs some other command). *4
- Does same happen if identical "IF" command is run manually from shell? *5
- Does anything change if s-s has "stack 60000" (or similar) at the very beginning? *6

80000003 (address error) is a bit odd because it only happens (if 68020+) when something tries to execute code from odd address which is always invalid. (odd data acess is fine, only 68000/010 need even aligment for word/long data access)
For my part I would like if somebody could try editing the s-s and writing the complete path for Booting Song and BootScreen. (IF EXISTS SYS:C/Enabled/BootScreen...).

Attached the complete s-s.

Edit:
*1: Someone with the hardware has to tell. I could tell the ones I've got, but I don't know if they have different versions depending on his hardware drivers.

*2: It doesn't seem to happen with 040: https://translate.google.es/translat...3D8&edit-text=

*3: It happens a lot of commands after Setpatch, even a "working" IF. You can see the attached s-s.

*4 You can see in the s-s there are other IFs &commands working. The rarest is that there are a lot of other working IF EXISTS that don't give any problem.

*5: Please somebody with the problem check this point and tell.

*6: "". You can change the MinStack value of the s-s.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Startup-Sequence.txt (9.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 March 2016 at 12:07.
Old 27 March 2016, 17:47   #522
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've received this PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
... As an update I found that after upgrading AmiKit Real from 8.1 to 8.5, the two IF statements automatically are re-enabled without my input and execute correctly and work as expected. No further IF errors.
So, as I was told the IF problem with CyberStorm accelerators was fixed with the update time ago. The problem back then was that the files were empty, but as I said many times it was fixed with the following updates.

So if you install it with a CyberStorm -everybody with this problem has one- you better make the install on WinUAE first, update it and then you can use it on your Amiga. If you can't, you have to disable the IFs part for BootScreen and Booting Sound, boot and run the Live Update.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 March 2016 at 00:47.
Old 27 March 2016, 19:09   #523
JackLeather

Hello, I have installed AKReal on my A600 with a Vampire 2 and after a few modifications its running with the SAGA driver .

Next I installed genesis and got connected to the net. I ran Live update and it downloaded everything and asked my to reboot.

I have been sitting looking at the 'Installing AmiKit 8.2 Update ... please wait' message for over 30 minutes, is this correct?
Old 27 March 2016, 21:31   #524
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLeather View Post
Hello, I have installed AKReal on my A600 with a Vampire 2 and after a few modifications its running with the SAGA driver .

Next I installed genesis and got connected to the net. I ran Live update and it downloaded everything and asked my to reboot.

I have been sitting looking at the 'Installing AmiKit 8.2 Update ... please wait' message for over 30 minutes, is this correct?
Yes, the 8.2 takes a long time. But it takes more for the 8.5 (BTW I hope you've got a booting partition with at least 950Mb -by now-, and you better use PFS3AIO). Go to watch some movie...
Ah, on WinUAE with Jit enabled (I've just made it) it takes around 10 minutes to download and install them all .

BTW I've downloaded it all again just thinking in making the Full install with the updates included. But that will be when the 8.6 update is finished, and I don't have much hurry as I would like to include AmiModRadio.

Edit: BTW I don't know anything about that Saga driver, although I've heard about it. What do you get; is it just like having AGA? Can you boot with BootScreen using a 256 colors image -the one it originally uses-?

If it works with it you can then also try with MorpheuZ, Preferences, Booting Display and select Rainboot instead.

If Bootscreen doesn't work with the original image, you can go to Prefs, BootScreen and select the 16 colors one.
* BootScreen won't work with RTG.

And BTW, the BootScreen prefs have a bad habit. Once you select another booting picture and you save it, it loses the icon image. That's the way it works. So if you want to keep the original icon, you better first open CopyIcon (in the AmiDock menu or in Sys:Utilities), move the icon to the left part to use it as pattern, use then the BootScreen prefs and then you can move the BootScreen icon on Prefs to the right side of CopyIcon to recover the icon.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 March 2016 at 00:59.
Old 27 March 2016, 22:38   #525
JackLeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, the 8.2 takes a long time. But it takes more for the 8.5 (BTW I hope you've got a booting partition with at least 950Mb -by now-, and you better use PFS3AIO). Go to watch some movie...
Ah, on WinUAE with Jit enabled (I've just made it) it takes around 10 minutes to download and install them all .

BTW I've downloaded it all again just thinking in making the Full install with the updates included. But that will be when the 8.6 update is finished, and I don't have much hurry as I would like to include AmiModRadio.

Edit: BTW I don't know anything about that Saga driver, although I've heard about it. What do you get; is it just like having AGA? Can you boot with BootScreen using a 256 colors image -the one it originally uses-?

If it works with it you can then also try with MorpheuZ, Preferences, Booting Display and select Rainboot instead.

If Bootscreen doesn't work with the original image, you can go to Prefs, BootScreen and select the 16 colors one.

And BTW, the BootScreen prefs have a bad habit. Once you select another booting picture, it loses the icon image. That's the way it works. So if you want to keep the original icon, you better first open CopyIcon (in the AmiDock menu or in Sys:Utilities, move the icon to the left part to use it as pattern, use then the BootScreen prefs and then you can move the BootScreen icon on Prefs to the right side of CopyIcon to recover the icon.
Saga is rtg 640x480 up to 16 bit for now. I indeed have PFS3AIO and a 1.5gb boot partition.

I already gave up and had to power down after 45 minutes. Does this mean it's doomed? I have restarted now and it been 1 hour still on the updating to 8.2.

Should I just sit tight? Is there a way to roll back the update and boot back to 8.1?
Old 27 March 2016, 23:09   #526
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If it takes too long for you you've got three options:

- To install it on WinUAE and copy it to your HD (best option if you can).
- To reboot it, boot without s-s and delete the content of Sys:Expansion, or better just rename it as ExpansionDisabled and reboot and later delete the content and rename it again. You'll be back with AKReal 8.1 running.

Or you can just leave it installing tonight.

Well, you can also leave it as it is and attach your HD to your PC to make the live update on WinUAE.

Edit: For RTG you can use Rainboot for the booting picture. You can select it with MorpheuZ, Preferences, Booting Display. You've got some to choose .

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 March 2016 at 23:30.
Old 27 March 2016, 23:17   #527
JackLeather

Quote:
If it takes too long for you you've got three options:

- To install it on WinUAE and copy it to your HD (best option if you can).
- To reboot it, boot without s-s and delete the content of Sys:Expansion, or better just rename it as ExpansionDisabled and reboot and later delete the content and rename it again.

Or you can just leave it installing tonight.
After 90mins I got a pfs3 requester 'out of buffers'. I've put it to bed now. Will try in winuae tomorrow.
Old 27 March 2016, 23:34   #528
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Out of buffers? 90 mins the first update? That seems that it's taking so long because of some bad setting on the file system.

See my guide about PFS3: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=831346&postcount=14

Increase then the amount of buffers (what about 600?. It's a large partition -1.5Gb-, although I've never tried so much), you won't lose any data and it will work faster.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 March 2016 at 00:37.
Old 28 March 2016, 12:19   #529
JackLeather

Quote:
Out of buffers? 90 mins the first update? That seems that it's taking so long because of some bad setting on the file system.

See my guide about PFS3: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=831346&postcount=14

Increase then the amount of buffers (what about 600?. It's a large partition -1.5Gb-, although I've never tried so much), you won't lose any data and it will work faster.
Good call. Buffers = 600 on dh0: fixed it. Installed 8.2 - 8.5 in 15 minutes in a real a600 with vampire 2. Bit surprised by the amount of fast ram used (about 30mb) but thats partially the buffers i imagine.

Unfortunately things are a little unstable - iBrowse causes the machine to crash (freeze) on startup. EditPad does the same when a file requester appears. Had another crash proceeded with a message about FreeMem. Daywatch in prefs also causes a freeze/crash. Maybe its some new gadget library/requester hack since 8.1?

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Last edited by JackLeather; 28 March 2016 at 13:45.
Old 28 March 2016, 15:29   #530
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It's difficult to know. It's an A600 and I can't tell what works or not with the Vampire and Saga.

Do you mean that IBrowse and EditPad were working before you updated to 8.5?
Old 28 March 2016, 15:30   #531
JackLeather

Quote:
Do you mean that IBrowse and EditPad were working before you updated to 8.5?
Yes both worked.

I really like wbdock. what does it need to run on vanilla 3.9?
Old 28 March 2016, 15:32   #532
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Try switching to MUI 3.8 with MorpheuZ.

Just copy WBDock to your OS3.9 with the preferences, both are in WBStartup. Then edit the prefs if you need to change anything. You also can copy some patterns it can use.

Edit: No, you don't need to change. AKReal 8.1 already works with MUI4

I don't know. I've got on WinUAE an A600 working with AKReal 8.5 and IBrowse and EditPad work perfect. I only changed the booting picture to use 16 colors.

Edit: Then if it was working for you after you made some changes for Saga, recheck those changes again, maybe they have changed. The s-s and u-s in fact change after updating.
For example now you'll have again FBlit and FText enabled, and they don't work with the Vampire. That message about Freemem can be caused for it.
Also I don't believe that you can use CyberbugFixAga with Saga.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 March 2016 at 17:08.
Old 28 March 2016, 18:03   #533
JackLeather

Quote:
Try switching to MUI 3.8 with MorpheuZ.

Just copy WBDock to your OS3.9 with the preferences, both are in WBStartup. Then edit the prefs if you need to change anything. You also can copy some patterns it can use.

Edit: No, you don't need to change. AKReal 8.1 already works with MUI4

I don't know. I've got on WinUAE an A600 working with AKReal 8.5 and IBrowse and EditPad work perfect. I only changed the booting picture to use 16 colors.

Edit: Then if it was working for you after you made some changes for Saga, recheck those changes again, maybe they have changed. The s-s and u-s in fact change after updating.
For example now you'll have again FBlit and FText enabled, and they don't work with the Vampire. That message about Freemem can be caused for it.
Also I don't believe that you can use CyberbugFixAga with Saga.
Switching to MUI 3.8 seems to have fixed the issues. I was wondering as you say 8.1 uses 4.0 - no sure what the issue is. I'll try re-installing Picasso and SAGA then re-enabling MUI 4.0.

I had already tried commenting lots of stuff out from the s-s, fblit, ftext etc as i realised that the update had overwritten my previous edits.

BTW when i add an item to the WBDock I only get a black outline for the icon - do i need to put the images somewhere?
Old 28 March 2016, 19:26   #534
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Glad it's working.

About WBDock I guess you talk about installing it on OS3.9, not AKReal?

It takes the icons from the programs you select, just make sure to write the full path to the program. Try first updating your icon.library too. I've just installed it on CWB39 without problems.

And BTW, I would like to see a video of your Vampire running AKReal, please
Old 28 March 2016, 19:31   #535
JackLeather

Quote:
Glad it's working.

About WBDock I guess you talk about installing it on OS3.9, not AKReal?

It takes the icons from the programs you select. Try first updating your icon.library. I've just installed it on CWB39 without problems.
It doesn't seem to matter which distro as it happens on AKReal also - i think its something to do with icon type the application is using. For example Genesis and JanoEditor both only get a black outline.
Old 28 March 2016, 21:17   #536
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
It doesn't seem to matter which distro as it happens on AKReal also - i think its something to do with icon type the application is using. For example Genesis and JanoEditor both only get a black outline.
I don't have Genesis installed, but I've just added JanoEditor without any problem.

Check if the icon at least opens the program, to see if you put the path right.

Don't forget to make a video of your Vampire running AKReal

Edit: BTW I've seen that the Futurama wallpaper wasn't well made, so I will change it in the next update. This is with 16 colors only now: http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/901b...38e5443ae0.png . This is thanks to the Retro Image Tool and I will use it to remap again a lot of wallpapers, surely all.

Edit2: I've installed also Genesis in CWB and it also works perfect with WBDock.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 March 2016 at 11:11.
Old 29 March 2016, 19:43   #537
JackLeather

Quote:
I don't have Genesis installed, but I've just added JanoEditor without any problem.

Check if the icon at least opens the program, to see if you put the path right.

Don't forget to make a video of your Vampire running AKReal

Edit: BTW I've seen that the Futurama wallpaper wasn't well made, so I will change it in the next update. This is with 16 colors only now: http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/901b...38e5443ae0.png . This is thanks to the Retro Image Tool and I will use it to remap again a lot of wallpapers, surely all.

Edit2: I've installed also Genesis in CWB and it also works perfect with WBDock.
Tried reinstalling p96/updates/SAGA - dock still shows black outlines/placeholders for icons.

before and after i re-installed p96 etc i noticed that a right click on an icon and selecting 'information' crashes the machine. This is with Workbench as replacement desktop. seems fine with Dpos 5.9. Any ideas?

Last edited by JackLeather; 29 March 2016 at 19:49.
Old 29 March 2016, 22:34   #538
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, sorry. But the original icons in the WBDock of AKReal work right with the Vampire and Saga?

If not tell me which work and which don't.

Also, can you use AmiDock?

Edit: Just to comment that I like how the cat that l've remapped to 16 colors only looks. Well in fact it looks better for real than in this screenshot, but anyway:

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 March 2016 at 23:08.
Old 29 March 2016, 23:53   #539
JackLeather

Quote:
No, sorry. But the original icons in the WBDock of AKReal work right with the Vampire and Saga?

If not tell me which work and which don't.

Also, can you use AmiDock?

Edit: Just to comment that I like how the cat that l've remapped to 16 colors only looks. Well in fact it looks better for real than in this screenshot, but anyway:

I'll take some screen shots to illustrate better. I'm pretty sure the problem is the original icon of Janos and genesis as they are both very basic looking.

I can use amidock but I hate it!

I see wbdock has a tool type to switch to an amidock look. Do you have any docs on wbdock? What the tool types do etc. Where it takes it images from.
Old 30 March 2016, 00:24   #540
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
I'll take some screen shots to illustrate better. I'm pretty sure the problem is the original icon of Janos and genesis as they are both very basic looking.

I can use amidock but I hate it!

I see wbdock has a tool type to switch to an amidock look. Do you have any docs on wbdock? What the tool types do etc. Where it takes it images from.
It's nice that you can use AmiDock, I just thought you can't with an A600. Edit: Yes, I see it works. It was I was trying the emulation using OS3.5.

WBDock has a lot of options. It can look as you see, but it can look also like AmiDock or also like a Mac, with a pattern under it -in fact I will use a pattern for my next update-. An example:

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/9927...c993487cba.png

There aren't docs, but if you edit the info you'll see all of the options there, just play a bit with them.
Apart of that, if you right click over the icons in the dock you find a menu with some options, the main one the one to refresh it, "Last Saved", or also another to Quit.

I told you the images are taken from the programs icons. I will take a look to see any difference with the JanoEditor icon now.

Edit:... Ahem.. You haven't told me what icons work for you to compare, I need to know.
To be clear. There are problems with the icons with AfAOS and the Start menus of DOpus5 depending in the "old icon image". I solve them changing the icons they use adding the images to the old icon image. I just wonder if you have some related problem with Saga, I just want to see that.

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 March 2016 at 11:00.