English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 03 July 2010, 07:52   #1
RizThomas

A4000 HDD replaced by CF in pictures

Hello,

If I may share pictures on how I replaced the old, noisy IDE HDrive with a CF - IDE unit mounted in its place.
here are the links
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?gallery=2Rm4MM

As I mentioned in one of the threads, this is the A4000 I got for free. Both of the IDE and the SCSI hard drives are so noisy so I decided to replace it with a CF as HDD instead.
Here are the steps of my installation:
1. Copied all contents of SCSI as another drawer into the old IDE drive. I wanted to keep the old system that the previous owner have done since he has a lot of registered apps installed.
2. Prepared the CF using WinUAE
3. Attached the old IDE HDD as a hard drive in WinUAE.
4. Created directories in PC and add them in WinUAE. Then I copied the contents of the old IDE into these directories.
5. Copied the old files (from the directories) into the newly formatted CF.
6. Installed the CF-IDE system in place of the old HD in A4000.
7. Consideration was made so that I can pull out the CF easily (without opening the A4000) from the back side. I have prepared CWBFull as another CF system in case I don't want to keep the old system.
8. I also decided to add a small cooling fan to help in the circulation of air.

I finally got rid of the IDe and the SCSI drive. Meanwhile, I picked up a used and very quiet SCSI drive to install back into the DKB Rapidfire. However, I'll stay with my CF drives for now...
Old 03 July 2010, 07:58   #2
thgill

Very nice!

I like the spot where you located the CF card. Makes it handy to pull out and replace or plug into into your PC and use WinUAE to back it up or update it.
Old 03 July 2010, 09:25   #3
Allen1

Nice Job M8, just in case anyone else does the same, maybe you could point out that the computer needs to be switched off before removing or replacing the CF card. I copied the idea from what alexh's A600 looks like with the internal to external CF card (same idea as yours) great idea but hot swapping is a definite NO and most folk will be aware of that but.........
Old 03 July 2010, 09:55   #4
RizThomas

Allen1 wrote:
Quote:
....maybe you could point out that the computer needs to be switched off before removing or replacing the CF card

Thanks for pointing that out. YES..this is always a must. NO HOT SWAPPING!

Thgill wrote:
Quote:
I like the spot where you located the CF card
the fact that there is already a pre-cut opening there with a backcover made it easy for me.