English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 December 2004, 23:50   #1
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Amiga Networking problems

Hi I'm trying the PCICIA network card to connect the amiga up to my router. It connects to the router the green light comes on but I can't get Aweb to work. I'm usig o.s 3.9 and genisis as my ip/tcp program. I've configured genesis the gateway is 10.0.0.1 the ip address of my router and the ip address of 10.0.0.3. Genesis connects but displays something like bootp not sent and then logs in.

When I go onto aweb and try to go onto a web page nothing happens. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.
Old 28 December 2004, 11:48   #2
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Bootp is an old protocol used to obtain IP address - it preceeded DHCP. I don't know Genesis, but is there a setting along the lines of "obtain IP address"? Do both IP addresses have the same subnet mask (255.0.0.0 in this case?)
Old 28 December 2004, 12:16   #3
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

There is a setting to obtain the ip address automatically, it works when using a laptop, but not when using an amiga. So I have to input the ip address manually, this is where I'm going wrong I think. I'm not sure what the IP address is.
Old 28 December 2004, 16:31   #4
Uplink7

Can you ping the Amiga from a PC connected to the router? You should be able to if Genesis has connected properly. Have you set the subnet mask?. I use a Genesis and set everything manually. I'm not sure how to setup DHCP on an Amiga. So I set it all manually. Do you have internet access turned on for that address? With my router I can turn off access for any IP address or a group of them etc. Try pinging it first and that will tell you if your card is working and if Genesis is configured correctly. I also assume you have your driver for the card setup correctly in Genesis.
Old 02 January 2005, 18:50   #5
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Found out what the problem is, I use a router but my isp is AOL. According to something I read you can't connect to aol without the aol software. But when using the router I can go straight onto internet explorer. Has anyone ever got a network card to work with AOL as there isp? I can ping the amiga to the pc and the pc to the amiga.
Old 02 January 2005, 18:54   #6
Jim

AOL = (for) Assholes Or Lamers.

If you're trying to do anything more complicated than downloading 2 files at the same time then it's best to get a real ISP.

If you've got AOL for the kids then get a real ISP, then invest in some filtering software and you as their parent decide what they are allowed to see, not some big American corporate entity.

Old 04 January 2005, 15:36   #7
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Managed to get the network card up and running, by the help given to me by the person that sold it to me. All it was is you had to set it to adsl in miami and all the settings where figured out automatically. AOL may not be the best isp but at least I know it would go into liquidation like my other one did.
Old 09 January 2005, 22:47   #8
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Really? Neither was Worldcom, Enron, or Global Crossing.... guess what... 1 dead and the other 2 out of Ch11, but both teetering on the edge....