English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 02 February 2020, 07:02   #41
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Guys , finally i have no way to buy a complete mobo,
then i decided to buy just a gfx card.
I'm left with 2 choices radeon rx 5700 or a nvidia rtx 2060.
In fact i already purchased the rtx 2060 but the fact that RX5700 seems 5% more powerfull but the more important for me is its 8 gb of vram....
the 2060 from nvidia has just 6 GB.

I was thinking that if i want to keep my card longer, 8 GB of vram could keep it alive more long.

But i have to use it on a old z77 chipset (will change the mobo in june) and the amd is gen4 pcie card, will my old mobo be compatible with this gen4 pcie ???? my mobo has a gen3 pcie.

All of that said : I was thinking about canceling my command and take the amd 5700 instead, I commanded it with amazon could i have some problem to cancel the purchase if the gfx card hasn't moved yet, the start of the shipping won't be before monday.
It's really the 8gb vs 6gb which make me hesitate.
If you could give me an advice in my decision ???
Old 02 February 2020, 07:50   #42
jmmijo

Well here is the deal with the GPU, sure you could have a bit better frame rate etc, however what RES are you going to be running in ?

1080p
1440p

If at 1080p or 1440p either card should be fine even with only 6GB of Frame Buffer space.

As for the GEN4 PCIe spec, the 5700 will sync according to the supported connection, so it will downclock to GEN3 PCIe spec without any issues.

Besides GPU's still don't even saturate the PCIe GEN3 spec but it's nice to have for being ready down the line.
Old 02 February 2020, 08:12   #43
Valken

The AMD RX 5700 SHOULD work in the older MB but sometimes it won't because you will need either a new BIOS on the MB or GPU.

Check the AMD forums and ask before buying.

The 8GB ram and PCIE Gen 4 will benefit when you move up to a new MB and CPU later.
Old 02 February 2020, 09:17   #44
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I am a seasoned amazon buyer, and I know for a fact you should preferably cancel the order before its expedited. By doing so, you make sure you won't get charged for something you don't want. Btw, are you sure these graphic cards aren't too powerful considering the generation your CPU and mobo belong to (feel free to remind me what you have at your disposal, as this thread is not easy to backtrack from a glance) ?

Last edited by SquawkBox; 02 February 2020 at 10:04.
Old 02 February 2020, 19:26   #45
Unkown
The Old Fart!

i have my big brother PC ( antique Kinda ) Intel core 2 duo and one of the biggest issues it has is it has 3 GB of i guess its ddr2 or ddr3 and it has one 2gb stick and 1gb stick in the same slots on the mobo, ( yeah i know before you say it ) so its gonna be striped down good clean, the fresh compound on the CPU swapping out the gfx card then update the bios, install win 10 or a Linux bistro, install some more memory the same type so it will run in dual Chan, and maybe put in a a SSD of the main Os. i did try to get him to buy a new PC but he is a effing scrooge... LuLz
Old 06 February 2020, 13:36   #46
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
@turrican3
The MSI GTX 660 Titanium Twin Frozr 2 GB DDR5 won't break any record, but it's a great middle of the road card, runs cool, and will fit the bill to complement an aging platform (no offense meant). If I hadn't something equivalent in my main computer (sadly underused GTX 670 from Gigabyte), I would definitely get it. It's listed at a selling price of 60 euros on our equivalent of CraigList.
Considering you're from Belgium, I assume you read French. Here is a review, don't be alarmed by the games that were chosen for testing. Ignore 4k, and it will run many, many games in HD resolution reasonably fast :

https://www.cowcotland.com/articles/...win-frozr.html

Heck, it was even mentioned in one of these ubiquitous "Which GPU for WinUAE ?" thread from 2016 .

Last edited by SquawkBox; 06 February 2020 at 13:45.
Old 11 February 2020, 22:11   #47
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
If I were shopping for a gaming rig today, I would probably be going for 32gb

You do NOT need 32GB or DDR4 in a gaming rig, That is if you plan on streaming and encoding video and uploading to various streaming sites.

You can get away with 16GB DDR4 for gaming and as far as i currently know there are not games out that would need or even use 32GB DDR4.

So there you go, facts checked and typed out for you, true story bro.
Old 12 February 2020, 01:25   #48
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
You do NOT need 32GB or DDR4 in a gaming rig, That is if you plan on streaming and encoding video and uploading to various streaming sites.

You can get away with 16GB DDR4 for gaming and as far as i currently know there are not games out that would need or even use 32GB DDR4.

So there you go, facts checked and typed out for you, true story bro.
That being said, what is the price difference between a 16GB and a 32GB kit ?

Here in the states it's not much but might be more in different regions around the world.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:39   #49
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Why limit yerself?
If you've got them slits, just fill'em... fill'em good.

Someday we might need a lot more!

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Shoonay; 12 February 2020 at 10:45.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:46   #50
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
You don't buy hardware for games today, you buy hardware for the next generation of games. And guess what: the next generation of consoles is landing this year, so it is very relevant at this juncture to take it up a notch when buying a gaming rig.
Old 12 February 2020, 12:24   #51
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
That being said, what is the price difference between a 16GB and a 32GB kit ?

Here in the states it's not much but might be more in different regions around the world.
If you want lower latency, there is some difference even in states... Some dude helped me with my setup and rather than going for 32GB high latency, I ended up with 16GB low latency with plans to upgrade that to 32 very soon.

Sure, not single game I played used anything close to 16GB of memory, but 2 virtual machine can use more than that. (if you into that stuff )

One thing to keep in mind with more memory - you need more paging space, bigger C drive... so in Shooney example you would consider 128GB of paging space reserved on system.