English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 December 2019, 20:13   #21
Tsak

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Maybe with limitations*. But due to the low resolution and color depth, visually the result would be quite messy.

*I mean, relatively to stock A1200: with better CPU and FAST RAM things are much different. For example, my Blizzard 1230-IV runs the same thing in about 0.3 frames (i.e. 1 frame less than the stock A1200).
Well, in regards to low resolution, given this runs fullscreen (right?) it's not much worse than 2x2 in 1/4 low-res screen other amiga FPS games run, on stock a1200. Also 25fps is a big win compared to other similar games running on stock machines (and in general ideal for the genre).

As for color depth, any game you'd make with that engine would have the same problem, so I see that more of an aesthetic choice rather than an issue. The way you stretch those Chaos Engine portraits btw showcases that 3d space could be emulated quite convincingly, without feeling messy.

Anyhow, great work again and good luck with this.
Whatever the genre, a game using this engine seems like an interesting idea.
Old 21 December 2019, 21:18   #22
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Well, in regards to low resolution, given this runs fullscreen (right?) it's not much worse than 2x2 in 1/4 low-res screen other amiga FPS games run, on stock a1200. Also 25fps is a big win compared to other similar games running on stock machines (and in general ideal for the genre).

As for color depth, any game you'd make with that engine would have the same problem, so I see that more of an aesthetic choice rather than an issue. The way you stretch those Chaos Engine portraits btw showcases that 3d space could be emulated quite convincingly, without feeling messy.
To the eye, there's a lot of difference between a 2x2 dot and a 1x1 dot surrounded by black space: the spacing affects the grouping of dots, and thus the readability of the graphics. If one took a classic GameBoy screen and displayed it in dot-matrix style, it would be much more difficult to read. The low color depth makes things worse in that it reduces the difference between objects. The portraits in the video work well because they're huge If I were to make - say - a shoot'em up, ships and bullets would be hardly recognizeable against any non-flat background.

By the way, the shoot'em up is one of the genres I have taken in consideration, but I have discarded it mostly for the reason above. For experimenting, I also have the core of the scrolling engine, which does line-by-line parallax, with real-time stretching (i.e. the source textures are not pre-stretched in perspective), at both top and bottom, plus redraw of the whole background (so that no restoring is necessary), and it takes only a fraction of frame on a stock A1200 (maybe I'll show this in another video).

Quote:
Anyhow, great work again and good luck with this.
Whatever the genre, a game using this engine seems like an interesting idea.
Thanks!
Old 27 December 2019, 13:47   #23
saimo

Two more experiments (including the shmup thingie mentioned in the previous post)

[ Show youtube player ]

For convenience, these are the previous videos:
* [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by saimo; 10 February 2020 at 14:39.
Old 10 February 2020, 14:38   #24
saimo

Reprise of the spaceship-travelling-through-tunnel idea:

[ Show youtube player ]

The tunnel renders in about:
* 1.1 frames on a stock Amiga 1200 (I must say I'm quite disappointed I just can't make it take less than 1 frame);
* 0.28 frames on an Amiga 1200 + Blizzard 1230-IV with 60 ns RAM (the machine used to record the video).

Previous videos:
Old 10 February 2020, 18:40   #25
vulture

Looks very nice
Old 11 February 2020, 13:41   #26
saimo

@vulture

Thanks!

@all

I managed to get the effect to run in less than one frame also on a stock Amiga 1200. I was trying to be too smart, so I thought I'd try to dumb the code down... and it worked! The time needed to render the tunnel went from ~1.1 frames (~22 ms) to ~0.937 frames (~18.74 ms). On the other hand, unsurprisingly, the simplified code performs worse on expanded machines: on an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard 1230-IV with 60 ns RAM, it went from ~0.28 frames (~5.6 ms) to ~0.48 frames (~9.52 ms).

This video shows the effect running on a stock Amiga 1200. The second part shows visually the rendering time: the blue blackground represents the part of a frame (the whole screen + vertical blanking area) taken by the the tunnel rendering; in other words, the non-blue blackground represents the unused time of a frame.

[ Show youtube player ]

Previous videos:
Old 11 February 2020, 14:20   #27
vulture

great job there saimo!
Old 12 February 2020, 09:43   #28
ruinashiro

I think that's really cool! Would love to see this idea put to some cool uses.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:52   #29
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
I managed to get the effect to run in less than one frame also on a stock Amiga 1200. I was trying to be too smart, so I thought I'd try to dumb the code down... and it worked! The time needed to render the tunnel went from ~1.1 frames (~22 ms) to ~0.937 frames (~18.74 ms). On the other hand, unsurprisingly, the simplified code performs worse on expanded machines: on an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard 1230-IV with 60 ns RAM, it went from ~0.28 frames (~5.6 ms) to ~0.48 frames (~9.52 ms).
Care to show some code ? Perhaps other ppl could spot little speedups.
Old 12 February 2020, 15:16   #30
saimo

@vulture

Quote:
great job there saimo!
Thanks!

@ruinashiro

Quote:
I think that's really cool! Would love to see this idea put to some cool uses.
Thanks! I'm experimenting precisely to come up with a good idea for a game

@meynaf

Quote:
Care to show some code ? Perhaps other ppl could spot little speedups.
To be brutally honest, no: I enjoy doing things and searching for solutions on my own