English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 December 2019, 20:13   #21
Tsak
Registered User

Tsak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Maybe with limitations*. But due to the low resolution and color depth, visually the result would be quite messy.

*I mean, relatively to stock A1200: with better CPU and FAST RAM things are much different. For example, my Blizzard 1230-IV runs the same thing in about 0.3 frames (i.e. 1 frame less than the stock A1200).
Well, in regards to low resolution, given this runs fullscreen (right?) it's not much worse than 2x2 in 1/4 low-res screen other amiga FPS games run, on stock a1200. Also 25fps is a big win compared to other similar games running on stock machines (and in general ideal for the genre).

As for color depth, any game you'd make with that engine would have the same problem, so I see that more of an aesthetic choice rather than an issue. The way you stretch those Chaos Engine portraits btw showcases that 3d space could be emulated quite convincingly, without feeling messy.

Anyhow, great work again and good luck with this.
Whatever the genre, a game using this engine seems like an interesting idea.
Tsak is offline  
Old 21 December 2019, 21:18   #22
saimo
Registered User
saimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Well, in regards to low resolution, given this runs fullscreen (right?) it's not much worse than 2x2 in 1/4 low-res screen other amiga FPS games run, on stock a1200. Also 25fps is a big win compared to other similar games running on stock machines (and in general ideal for the genre).

As for color depth, any game you'd make with that engine would have the same problem, so I see that more of an aesthetic choice rather than an issue. The way you stretch those Chaos Engine portraits btw showcases that 3d space could be emulated quite convincingly, without feeling messy.
To the eye, there's a lot of difference between a 2x2 dot and a 1x1 dot surrounded by black space: the spacing affects the grouping of dots, and thus the readability of the graphics. If one took a classic GameBoy screen and displayed it in dot-matrix style, it would be much more difficult to read. The low color depth makes things worse in that it reduces the difference between objects. The portraits in the video work well because they're huge If I were to make - say - a shoot'em up, ships and bullets would be hardly recognizeable against any non-flat background.

By the way, the shoot'em up is one of the genres I have taken in consideration, but I have discarded it mostly for the reason above. For experimenting, I also have the core of the scrolling engine, which does line-by-line parallax, with real-time stretching (i.e. the source textures are not pre-stretched in perspective), at both top and bottom, plus redraw of the whole background (so that no restoring is necessary), and it takes only a fraction of frame on a stock A1200 (maybe I'll show this in another video).


Quote:
Anyhow, great work again and good luck with this.
Whatever the genre, a game using this engine seems like an interesting idea.
Thanks!
saimo is offline  
Old 27 December 2019, 13:47   #23
saimo
Registered User
saimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 269
Two more experiments (including the shmup thingie mentioned in the previous post)

[ Show youtube player ]

For convenience, these are the previous videos:
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by saimo; 10 February 2020 at 14:39.
saimo is offline  
Old 10 February 2020, 14:38   #24
saimo
Registered User
saimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 269
Reprise of the spaceship-travelling-through-tunnel idea:

[ Show youtube player ]

The tunnel renders in about:
* 1.1 frames on a stock Amiga 1200 (I must say I'm quite disappointed I just can't make it take less than 1 frame);
* 0.28 frames on an Amiga 1200 + Blizzard 1230-IV with 60 ns RAM (the machine used to record the video).

Previous videos:
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
saimo is offline  
Old 10 February 2020, 18:40   #25
vulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athens , Greece
Posts: 1,149
Looks very nice
vulture is offline  
Old 11 February 2020, 13:41   #26
saimo
Registered User
saimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 269
@vulture

Thanks!


@all

I managed to get the effect to run in less than one frame also on a stock Amiga 1200. I was trying to be too smart, so I thought I'd try to dumb the code down... and it worked! The time needed to render the tunnel went from ~1.1 frames (~22 ms) to ~0.937 frames (~18.74 ms). On the other hand, unsurprisingly, the simplified code performs worse on expanded machines: on an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard 1230-IV with 60 ns RAM, it went from ~0.28 frames (~5.6 ms) to ~0.48 frames (~9.52 ms).

This video shows the effect running on a stock Amiga 1200. The second part shows visually the rendering time: the blue blackground represents the part of a frame (the whole screen + vertical blanking area) taken by the the tunnel rendering; in other words, the non-blue blackground represents the unused time of a frame.

[ Show youtube player ]

Previous videos:
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
* [ Show youtube player ]
saimo is offline  
Old 11 February 2020, 14:20   #27
vulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athens , Greece
Posts: 1,149
great job there saimo!
vulture is offline  
Old 12 February 2020, 09:43   #28
ruinashiro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 44
I think that's really cool! Would love to see this idea put to some cool uses.
ruinashiro is offline  
Old 12 February 2020, 10:52   #29
meynaf
son of 68k
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon / France
Age: 47
Posts: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
I managed to get the effect to run in less than one frame also on a stock Amiga 1200. I was trying to be too smart, so I thought I'd try to dumb the code down... and it worked! The time needed to render the tunnel went from ~1.1 frames (~22 ms) to ~0.937 frames (~18.74 ms). On the other hand, unsurprisingly, the simplified code performs worse on expanded machines: on an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard 1230-IV with 60 ns RAM, it went from ~0.28 frames (~5.6 ms) to ~0.48 frames (~9.52 ms).
Care to show some code ? Perhaps other ppl could spot little speedups.
meynaf is online now  
Old 12 February 2020, 15:16   #30
saimo
Registered User
saimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 269
@vulture

Quote:
great job there saimo!
Thanks!


@ruinashiro

Quote:
I think that's really cool! Would love to see this idea put to some cool uses.
Thanks! I'm experimenting precisely to come up with a good idea for a game


@meynaf

Quote:
Care to show some code ? Perhaps other ppl could spot little speedups.
To be brutally honest, no: I enjoy doing things and searching for solutions on my own
saimo is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small DOT, instead of a normal icon, why? WHDLoad c0dehunter support.Apps 2 16 January 2019 04:47
Green CRT & Dot Matrix Printer for Sale dJOS MarketPlace 2 10 October 2013 09:20
Plotter / Dot Flag pmc Coders. Tutorials 45 19 January 2011 19:02
ASCII and Experimental Epson Dot Matrix Printer Emulation AmigaBoingBall support.WinUAE 1 27 May 2009 18:39
Almost Free Color Dot Matrix Printer IBM/AMIGA le geek MarketPlace 0 06 May 2004 00:48

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07575 seconds with 15 queries