English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03 October 2018, 13:05   #121
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
... GlowIcons. Where are they?

On the Storage disk, glowicons folder. It has no icon itself, so use Workbench’s pulldown-menu to make it visible.Installation is a manual process for now. Insert Storage disk. Open a shell and enter:

copy Storage3.1.4:glowicons/#? sys: all

and reboot.
Are you sure?

I have no 3.1.4 yet, but this procedure would destroy all your existing tooltype and default tool settings, if 3.1.4 was used as an update.

Better use CopyIcon from Stephan Rupprecht, WB Icon Information or KDEView.
PeterK is offline  
Old 03 October 2018, 14:24   #122
bubbob42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Are you sure?

I have no 3.1.4 yet, but this procedure would destroy all your existing tooltype and default tool settings, if 3.1.4 was used as an update.

Better use CopyIcon from Stephan Rupprecht, WB Icon Information or KDEView.
Peter, this is meant for people who just installed 3.1.4 and want to switch to Glowicons immediately after.

You’re right with regard to existing installs, tho.
bubbob42 is offline  
Old 03 October 2018, 16:44   #123
MickGyver
Registered User

MickGyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
The Amiga 1200 Kickstart ROM does not scan the entire memory range which is reserved for the CD32 extension ROM and the FMV expansion, ..
Ooh, nooow I see, this makes things harder yes.
MickGyver is online now  
Old 03 October 2018, 16:56   #124
kolla
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 1,899
Available now: AmigaOS 3.1.4

Yes, the CD32 had its own exec.library. Funny enough, for OS3.9 the hardware detection routine for detecting CD32 appears to have been broken, so that (among others) A1200 exec was picked in the ROM update. At least my SX32 now sees its CD drive etc after ThoR fixed LoadModule to properly detect CD32, and I cannot really recall that it ever did this with OS3.9 and ROM updates before.
kolla is offline  
Old 03 October 2018, 19:42   #125
nogginthenog
Amigan

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthecanuck View Post
@OS 3.1.4 developers

You might want to get someone to do some more promotion on this release. I see no announcement of any sort on Amigaworld.net or Amigans.net?
It made it to Slashdot. Several (probably the same) Anonymous Cowards complaining it won't work with 512k
nogginthenog is online now  
Old 03 October 2018, 21:30   #126
spudje
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,122
So, unfortunately even Generation Amiga stopping is fake news (like the rest of their content), and they continue with blowing news out of proportion. Where do they get the info that 3.1.4 is selling much better than anticipated?
spudje is offline  
Old 03 October 2018, 21:36   #127
nogginthenog
Amigan

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Posts: 913
Amiga.org thread is here:
http://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=73661.0
(I don't think ThoR is on EAB.)

a1k.org thread is here (google translate does a reasible job)
https://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67511

I'm a member of a1k.org because I was at Amiga32 but my German sucks
nogginthenog is online now  
Old 03 October 2018, 21:53   #128
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
[...] but my German sucks
You can give a try to http://www.deepl.com
malko is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 02:00   #129
Heiroglyph
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 88
@thread

I don't mean to come across as negative in the few posts I've made in this thread.

I think it's awesome that you guys donated your time to this and that Hyperion gave you a chance to work for the 68k community. I've been asking for some 68k love for a long, long time.

I disagree strongly with the decision to loadmodule the newer Intuition rather than the old one and that you guys didn't get paid, but I have nothing but respect and gratitude for your hard work.

I think this is a great opportunity for the 68k community to show Hyperion that there is a market here, probably a bigger one than PPC and that efforts to improve the OS will be rewarded.

I've already bought one set and intend to buy more for my other machines.
Heiroglyph is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 03:56   #130
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 42
Posts: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiroglyph View Post
@thread

I don't mean to come across as negative in the few posts I've made in this thread.

I think it's awesome that you guys donated your time to this and that Hyperion gave you a chance to work for the 68k community. I've been asking for some 68k love for a long, long time.

I disagree strongly with the decision to loadmodule the newer Intuition rather than the old one and that you guys didn't get paid, but I have nothing but respect and gratitude for your hard work.

I think this is a great opportunity for the 68k community to show Hyperion that there is a market here, probably a bigger one than PPC and that efforts to improve the OS will be rewarded.

I've already bought one set and intend to buy more for my other machines.
Thank you!

That was our goal: let them know we are here, and show them that there is a healthy market on 68k that they never took into consideration.

You dont need to agree on everything we do, and it is okay.

But we just need to push this together.

gulliver is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 05:03   #131
desiv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,393
OK, time for me to ask about something I might be misunderstanding. (likely)
The install talks about CPU libraries for your accelerator card, including generic libraries on Aminet (I did a quick search there and didn't find anything, but I only looked for "cpu library" and "cpu libraries".)
Never having had a 040 or above, I am not sure what that is.
Also, I have an ACA1230/28 that has no MMU.
Are the libraries more MMU or higher CPU related?
Or is there something I should be looking for that I am not familiar with?

I only just installed it (on WinUAE before I move it to a CF card and place it in my 1200), so I haven't done much with it yet. But man.. With it just being plain, it is REALLY FAST... (And that is not fast because it is a PC, because I have a really OLD dual core PC and some Amiga installs are sluggish on this guy.. ;-)
desiv is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 05:33   #132
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Amiga.org thread is here:
http://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=73661.0
(I don't think ThoR is on EAB.)

a1k.org thread is here (google translate does a reasible job)
https://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67511

I'm a member of a1k.org because I was at Amiga32 but my German sucks

there's already a thread over at amiga.org and just reposted this one over at amigans.net
klx300r is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 06:56   #133
hth313
On strike for kolla
hth313's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Delta, Canada
Posts: 185
It is not clear to me how this new Intuition works. It is on disk and I need to edit startup-sequence. Is that all there is to it? Once done, it will consume some RAM and come up immediately on power on? (no reboots and no fiddling?)

Will this release work with a superkick early A3000, provided that I roll my own superkickstart file based on the provided A3000 kickstart image?
hth313 is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 08:22   #134
ShK
Registered User
ShK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lahti / Finland
Age: 48
Posts: 355
Does 3.1.4 scsi.device 45.7 offer any benefit over scsi.device 4345p, or is 43.45p still the best one?

( http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/SCSI4345p )
ShK is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 11:19   #135
bubbob42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Does 3.1.4 scsi.device 45.7 offer any benefit over scsi.device 4345p, or is 43.45p still the best one?

( http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/SCSI4345p )
I don't know the above, but the OS3.1.4 variant has been bugfixed to the point of nausea. Just try it.

Last edited by bubbob42; 04 October 2018 at 13:26.
bubbob42 is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 11:40   #136
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 42
Posts: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
I don't now the above, but the OS3.1.4 variant has been bugfixed to the point of nausea. Just try it.
No more maxtransfer number guessing on scsi.device. it is now automatic.
A couple of bugfixes.
gulliver is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 13:27   #137
bubbob42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
No more maxtransfer number guessing on scsi.device. it is now automatic.
Thanks, Ignacio - I could not remember. Guess it's time for a break.
bubbob42 is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 13:41   #138
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 42
Posts: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Thanks, Ignacio - I could not remember. Guess it's time for a break.
Yes. dont tell me!
I am starting to make kindergarden typos on my postings

And I am starting to think 2+2=3
gulliver is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 15:57   #139
ptyerman
Registered User

ptyerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worksop/UK
Age: 55
Posts: 1,262
I'm just getting old and it sux!
ptyerman is offline  
Old 04 October 2018, 19:38   #140
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian
Tempest 2084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE MI / USA
Posts: 420
For someone who is just a game player and not a power user, is there any reason to upgrade to 3.1.4? I'm currently using ClassicWB on my 3000.
Tempest 2084 is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would AmigaOS 3.9 be ok for me? stu232 support.Hardware 12 02 October 2013 18:20
AmigaOS 3.9 PoLoMoTo support.WinUAE 8 27 August 2011 18:06
AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 maddoc666 support.Apps 12 22 February 2010 08:02
AmigaOS koncool request.Apps 6 04 June 2003 17:45
AmigaOS XL sturme New to Emulation or Amiga scene 4 15 January 2002 02:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.17370 seconds with 16 queries