English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 July 2014, 04:02   #1
ancalimon
Supernormal

Does FastATA MK4 support cfcards?

I have trying my luck with cfcard. Unfortunately "I think" my version of FastATA MK4 does not support cfcards because as soon as I run ata3.driver, can no longer read files from drive and after reset, Amiga goes on a guru reboot loop. Emailed Elbox if I could get myself an updated mach chip but got no reply (I think it's been near a month). In the past, they sent me updated mach chips for one of my FastATA interfaces to update it from mk2 to mk3.

(first one I think I received from Power Computing which updated Power Flyer to Power Flyer Gold)
Old 25 July 2014, 07:08   #2
voyager_1701e

I'm having a problem currently with a mk4 and I've been discussing it with amigakit

My problem....any setting above pio 0 causes freezing and crashes the system ....and it wont boot

Try pio 0 and see if it works?
Old 25 July 2014, 09:27   #3
Vot

As I messaged privately my mk2 would not see partitions on it until i partitioned the card with the driver running.(early boot menu didn't see any partitions). I did notice hdtoolbox used different drive geometry.( i just made a boot floppy with the ata driver, hdtoolbox and pfsformat)
Old 25 July 2014, 11:36   #4
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager_1701e View Post
I'm having a problem currently with a mk4 and I've been discussing it with amigakit

My problem....any setting above pio 0 causes freezing and crashes the system ....and it wont boot

Try pio 0 and see if it works?
Check whether Rom chips are properly in place (especially the upper one).

I ended up using Rom risers which work great.
Old 25 July 2014, 22:06   #5
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
As I messaged privately my mk2 would not see partitions on it until i partitioned the card with the driver running.(early boot menu didn't see any partitions). I did notice hdtoolbox used different drive geometry.( i just made a boot floppy with the ata driver, hdtoolbox and pfsformat)
I am going to try installing everything using a boot floppy with ata3.driver now. At the moment, I can boot from cfcard but as soon as I run ata3.driver, files can not be read properly and upon reboot, partition appear as not a dos disk.
Old 25 July 2014, 22:59   #6
ancalimon
Supernormal

Not working. After I install and create a 512mb partition, I can not format it. Also hdtoolbox starts to report the drive around 2gb and the geometry is totally changed. (initially it detects it as nearly 4gb). Also hdtoolbox start to eat my 256mb memory and leaves around 2mb. After closing hdtoolbox 16mbs are left. Weird..

Tried the newer ata3.driver from Elbox page that's supposed to be for the new MK4 CF and it's working with my MK4 IDE to my surprise. (there are two different drivers for MK4) Will try with it running... EDIT: Not working. Will try cleaning the mbr on Windows once again.

Last edited by ancalimon; 25 July 2014 at 23:06.
Old 27 July 2014, 06:37   #7
voyager_1701e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Check whether Rom chips are properly in place (especially the upper one).

I ended up using Rom risers which work great.
I have tried 3 different 1200 mainboards, 3 different roms inc. 3.9 rom....4 different cf cards from 512mb to 8gb and a mechanical hard drive...I've tried partitioning the 512 on the amiga using the driver off the boot floppy....tried all 3 file systems (ffs sfs pfs)....and still it wont work off anything other than pio 0.

I've been using machine pins sockets on the roms coz I've pulled them in and out so often I'm surely going to fatigue some pins off !

Yet i plug in my fastATA mk1 and in 2 minutes its working flawlessly in pio4.

Very very frustrating.... I've spent countless hours with very disappointing results

I do have to add amigakit have been trying very hard with constant fast responses in trying to get this solved with me....so another good plug for them !
Old 27 July 2014, 06:38   #8
voyager_1701e

Quote:
I am going to try installing everything using a boot floppy with ata3.driver now. At the moment, I can boot from cfcard but as soon as I run ata3.driver, files can not be read properly and upon reboot, partition appear as not a dos disk.
Interested to see if you have tried setting it up as pio 0?

In my case (I think you said yours didn't) but my cf card always shows up in the boot menu...
Old 28 July 2014, 13:02   #9
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager_1701e View Post
I have tried 3 different 1200 mainboards, 3 different roms inc. 3.9 rom....4 different cf cards from 512mb to 8gb and a mechanical hard drive...I've tried partitioning the 512 on the amiga using the driver off the boot floppy....tried all 3 file systems (ffs sfs pfs)....and still it wont work off anything other than pio 0.

I've been using machine pins sockets on the roms coz I've pulled them in and out so often I'm surely going to fatigue some pins off !

Yet i plug in my fastATA mk1 and in 2 minutes its working flawlessly in pio4.

Very very frustrating.... I've spent countless hours with very disappointing results

I do have to add amigakit have been trying very hard with constant fast responses in trying to get this solved with me....so another good plug for them !
Strange...
Old 02 September 2014, 00:31   #10
ancalimon
Supernormal

Long story short, is anyone able to use cfcards using the FastATA MK4 IDE version (not the FastATA MK4 CF version which uses the later drivers). I can boot from the cfcard I prepped on WinUAE but as soon as I try writing anything to the card, everything becomes corrupted and the disk becomes ndosdisk. I can use the card properly on my other A1200 with native ide port.
Old 02 September 2014, 00:40   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Long story short, is anyone able to use cfcards using the FastATA MK4 IDE version (not the FastATA MK4 CF version which uses the later drivers). I can boot from the cfcard I prepped on WinUAE but as soon as I try writing anything to the card, everything becomes corrupted and the disk becomes ndosdisk. I can use the card properly on my other A1200 with native ide port.
I didn't know there were two versions. Mine works perfectly with PFS3AIO with Pio IV, around 8.500.000 Kb/s. What I believe to remember is that the instructions say something about that you need to prepare the CF with the FastAta, not in WinUAE.

Anyway if you want to use WinUAE, try PFS3AIO (I think I've made all my cards there).

Edit: I also use a Cf with my A1200/ACA1231/42/FastAta (PowerFlyer MK II), at Pio III or IV, but sometimes it takes its time to boot from cold.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 September 2014 at 00:50.
Old 02 September 2014, 07:59   #12
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I didn't know there were two versions.
The thing is I can use the driver for the CF version too but it doesn't change anything.

I can not prepare the cfcard after I run ata3.driver
Old 31 January 2017, 02:03   #13
ancalimon
Supernormal

I need to figure out if the FastaATA MKV with the newer mach chip is able to use cfcards with pio4 mode. My MkIV with the older mach is not.
Old 31 January 2017, 07:53   #14
HelloBeautiful

I think my FastATA is rev0 and it supports PIO mode 4 on cf cards. I think PIO 4 only works with my 060 though (not with my 030)

Last edited by HelloBeautiful; 31 January 2017 at 09:04.
Old 31 January 2017, 08:41   #15
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBeautiful View Post
I think my FastATA is rev0 and it supports PIO mode 4 on cf cards. I think it only works with my 060 though (not with my 030)
Is that the first released one?
Old 31 January 2017, 09:05   #16
HelloBeautiful

Quote:
Is that the first released one?
Yes, but I guess it could be rev 1 too as people tend to mix these terms up.
Old 06 February 2017, 19:00   #17
ancalimon
Supernormal

I am now successfully using the 64gb Kingston Compact Flash card on the first port of FastATA MKIV in PIO3 mode. PIO4 mode does NOT work.

Also if plugged on the secondary port of FastATA MK4, for some strange reason, it is seen as 2gb and the name of the device is gibberish.

Using SFS was not possible because it kept giving checksum errors while trying to copy stuff to CF forcing me to reinstall and repartition the CF. PFS3 AIO is much more reliable as it only got corrupted once while copying the whdload games. I fixed it by using pfsdoctor, continued copying everything and it did not give any error again.
Old 07 February 2017, 09:42   #18
idrougge

I would be very wary of the data integrity on that card if SFS throws checksum errors.
Old 08 February 2017, 19:57   #19
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I would be very wary of the data integrity on that card if SFS throws checksum errors.
Everthing seems to be working perfectly fine at the moment. I will copy the tosec archive once I got the updated one. Also the CD ISO collection.
Old 17 February 2017, 11:52   #20
Hedeon
PPC Hacker

Not sure what revision I have but with PFS3AIO I had 2 CFs running in the system (One internal for boot and one I could remove from the outside). It has been running with a BPPC 040, later upgraded to 060. and with an A1200TX on top of it with 4 PCI cards (was a tight fit). It does PIO4. The FastATA MK4 is 2 or 3 years old now, don't know with revision it is. Also didn't know it had 2 different versions. I haven't updated the driver since I installed the FastATA (if it ain't broken...).

I must admit I never had any problems with any CF cards in any of my Amigas (A4000D: IDE2CF; A4000T: USB card reader and another A1200 in a tower: IDE2CF)

It might be a combination of the correct drivers (PFS3, scsi.device etc I do have custom ROMs in them all) or just plain luck.