English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 March 2006, 13:13   #1
molosev

F/A 18 interceptor - mission 6

Hi,

Does anyone know how to clear this mission, I tried a hundred times and have never been able to discover what was the point !!!
There are two aircraft carrier on the map. Is it the one on the upper left which I have to sink ?

THX

Old 09 March 2006, 13:50   #2
sittingduck

In a recent interview here: http://radish.hosted.doosh.net/stein...es/000027.html the creator, Bob Dinnerman, said the following:

Quote:
Ah yes, the 'infamous' last mission of F/A-18 Interceptor... As far as what I believe I did, the destruction of all enemy aircraft plus the enemy sub and a successful return to base should do it. I must note though, that the enemy carrier sub never actually blows up even if it's deemed destroyed! However I'm admittedly a bit remiss on exactly what constitutes the carrier sub having been destroyed, that is, perhaps the minimum number of cannon or missile hits on it, etc. I apologize for my brain lapse on this detail from 15 years ago! Another detail that I'm curious to know is if after one elects to and successfully lands on the carrier sub and gets rearmed/refueled, can he/she resume the mission and blast away at the carrier some more?! Some day I should find and dig up the code, go through it and verify what conditions are required to complete that mission. Again, my humble apologies. A footnote: Maybe the elusiveness to being able to complete this mission (though unintentional) has contributed to the game?s lure??
I completed the game many years ago and I seem to recall that a full load of missiles won't do the trick - you have to land and rearm and fire some more missiles at the sub. Which, by the way, can be a little tricky because you can't lock your missiles onto it. I think I had some success with attacking from high in the sky and then diving towards the sub while using the zoom feature to make sure that my aim was correct. Remember, that with a little practice, you can also land on the sub and rearm instead of returning all the way back to your own carrier. The other day I completed the first five missions in WinUAE and I will try to complete the last one for a second time whenever I feel like some serious trial and error-workout!

EDIT: And yes, it is the subcarrier in the upper left that you have to destroy. The only other carrier on the map, is the one you're taking off from. Not much sense in blowing that one up...

Good luck.

Last edited by sittingduck; 09 March 2006 at 13:56.
Old 09 March 2006, 14:53   #3
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Nice interview
Old 09 March 2006, 16:07   #4
SilentBob

Oh, I love those kinda interviews with developers, done ages after the release of a game.

And it would be cool to even just see F/A-18 redone with better graphics.
Old 09 March 2006, 18:40   #5
sittingduck

Not sure if I actually picked this one up here on eab, but here's another intereview; Eric Chahi who made Another World: http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archive...ic_chahi_1.php
Old 10 March 2006, 09:16   #6
molosev

Thank you sitting duck !

Old 10 March 2006, 10:30   #7
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Got this beauty in with my Batman pack so I played it loads for the first few weeks.

I remember getting to the last mission and never being able to destroy the sub. I even managed to land on it.

Ive still not played a flight sim with a more convincing illusion of height. Something to do with the colours maybe.

Fantastic game and still my favourite flight sim.
Old 10 March 2006, 12:04   #8
DamienD
Banned

Me too Dastardly. This is definitely my favorite flight sim...

Absolute classic
Old 10 March 2006, 12:27   #9
OzNoG

Remember this game and the last mission. As I recall landing on the subcarrier rearming and refueled ok landing was a bit tricky on the sub. Spent hours and hours on this, gonna have to try and find the game now. heheee.

Oz

Old 11 March 2006, 10:07   #10
redblade
Zone Friend

I couldn't even do the training mission of landing on the air craft carrier.

I used to take off, turn up side down, fly back past the air craft carrier and try to land.
Old 11 March 2006, 10:43   #11
blade002
Zone Friend

Yep, to this day its still the BEST flight sim ever!. F29 Retaliator & Thunderhawk were great, but nothing even comes close!.

Ive tried alot of PC flight sims, and all that Analog and 1 million things to do with all the gauges crap just makes me hate them!. there is no spirit to ANY flight sim on the PC ive played.

Give me a digital joystick and the simplistic realism of Interceptor ANYDAY!.

Im still completely astounded that its still the best?

( BTW. Interceptor was the FIRST Amiga game i ever saw running, and what a great introduction to the Amiga it was!. )
Old 11 March 2006, 10:47   #12
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Yep, to this day its still the BEST flight sim ever!. F29 Retaliator & Thunderhawk were great, but nothing even comes close!.

Ive tried alot of PC flight sims, and all that Analog and 1 million things to do with all the gauges crap just makes me hate them!. there is no spirit to ANY flight sim on the PC ive played.
Well i think this is the thing isnt it, the more "Realistic" they TRY to make it, the more crap it is..

I still like to fire F18 up just to have a fly around, down a Mig or two, and land again.

It might not be Graphicaly perfect, but its got atmosphere, and its addictive.. (Yes i got a batman pack too).
Old 11 March 2006, 10:49   #13
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Was there ever a version of FA/18 Interceptor that had a gradient sky?

I remember the pic on a mates A500 Starter Kit box here in Aus that must of had touched up screenshots or something.

We always thought you needed the meg expansion to see the gradient sky but once we both upgraded the sky looked the same.
Old 13 March 2006, 10:06   #14
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly

Ive still not played a flight sim with a more convincing illusion of height. Something to do with the colours maybe.
interesting point, i never thought about it before, but i agree
Old 21 March 2023, 13:43   #15
rasclaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
interesting point, i never thought about it before, but i agree

I feel like it's sound and graphics working very subtly together - but I've always appreciated the way that sparkles on the water / dots on the land become visible at low altitude.