English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 July 2008, 19:19   #21
Titler
Zone Friend

Everything you ever wanted to know about Elite for most versions, from the old, old alt.fan.elite FAQ which I rummaged back up for you... I can guarantee that they are reasonably accurate for the Amiga, as "Ian" in the acknowledgments is me, having written up most of the Amiga section myself (and the manually working out the Amiga score for ships), and thus being given the avatar to the left for it way back in the dawn of the internet

http://bbc.nvg.org/doc/games/EliteFAQ.htm

I don't, over a decade and a half later recall how the missions were triggered, but to prove some of them are at least possible in a normal game on the Amiga, here's my final, completely honest (and rather obsessive) ranking, now preserved via WinUAE and by being able to make a working .adf of my saved game disc back when I had 2x 3.5" floppy drives and DISK2FDI and an OS it would work on

Last edited by Titler; 14 July 2008 at 19:34. Reason: Added picture and a bit more detail
Old 14 July 2008, 22:17   #22
reyearthnexus

I already know you masterpiece!

I found it looking for infos through the web..there I discovered the other Elite versions, missions etc... so...thanks!!

ok, now I know something more about missions! Finally!

But, about that trouble..I mean lha, archives.. etc...can you tell me something? I'm really fashinated by Amiger versione but I cant really play it!

I always dreamed something like these versions we are talking about... where you can sell and buy other ships and much other....ah i love this game

PS: what i'm asking these days to myself is: if there are a lot of games (maybe all games never done...) in adf format..isn't possible to convert these "strange" lha files [i'm a rookie i know...] in that type?? and simply load them by "floppy" options on Winuae screen...

Last edited by reyearthnexus; 14 July 2008 at 22:28.
Old 14 July 2008, 23:17   #23
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

You should be able to unpack an LHA file with something like Winrar or Universal Archive Extractor. LHAs are an older form of packed archive which was widely used on the Amiga, along with LZX files.

Think of them like ZIP archives, they need to be unpacked.
Old 15 July 2008, 00:01   #24
reyearthnexus

yes Merlin I understood that when I installed Picasso.
But in this case it seems to be different. I had to unpacked it in winXp with winzip 'cause in WB it wasnt possible. The file - anyway - i obtained (install) could be launched...a shell appears saying is not possibile..

Ps: i'm sorry guyz, i know it's easier teaching a stone to fly...

Last edited by reyearthnexus; 15 July 2008 at 00:10.
Old 15 July 2008, 00:44   #25
reyearthnexus

DAMNED OOLITE!! It's impossible to enter the coriolis!!!

Old 15 July 2008, 00:50   #26
Titler
Zone Friend

If you are going the WinUAE route, this is a good place to start;

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?s...nus&machine=31

Pretty much every Amiga ADF ever there for you to grab, including Elite and Frontier: Elite II

Quote:
I always dreamed something like these versions we are talking about... where you can sell and buy other ships and much other....ah i love this game
You may want to check out the more modern EvE too then; they've ripped off Frontier even down to the futuristic text 14 day free trial here;

https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?ai...bid=&nogreet=1

Edit: Oh, trying to enter the Coriolis are we? Does this mean you've got one version running?

Simplest way I found to do it is to line up away from the space station so the station is off centre to your left or right on the screen, with the door facing in towards the centre of the screen. Then fly forward, keeping the station to your left/right and stop when you are directly in front of it (when it appears in the centre of your left or right view point). Then from there make small adjustments so you are facing roughly towards the door. Don't worry about hitting it dead centre, or with the door square aligned precisely towards you; the important thing is to either fly in fast enough so that you dock before getting blown up, and most important of all, to be rotating correctly as you enter. Approach slowly, and rotate your ship as you do; match the ship to the door, then just hold course with the nose pointing in... and that should be it

Last edited by Titler; 15 July 2008 at 00:58.
Old 15 July 2008, 11:26   #27
reyearthnexus

Hi Titler,
well maybe you can imagine how hard could be for a rookie like me to learn something about these things starting by abc..in my mother tongue....! in english or french it's REALLY hard...

but I wont give up!

I want now just learn to unpack this f**** lha...!! I dont undestand why I cant...maybe my WinUae version (1.0) is too old? And WHDLoad dosnt work cause it needs an OS more recent?
The only thing I think I've undestood is "I need WHDLoad to play not ADF games"....is it correct?? I hope so!
Anyway I attached a shot of my WB messages so you can see it better
Tell me please where Im wrong

I'm trying to play Oolite (kindly offered by Merlin..! )
I was..no better, i AM a master in ClassicElite: I can dock under 4-5 police ships pression..with just pulse laser....but here, it seems impossible..i try to use my old technique but it doesnt work.....while in classic version the coriolis door is, at the end, just a 2D rectangle....now it has an own depth!! Really easy is to destroy the ship during the process...the Cobra's movements are really faster then before....yep, I have to play more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boh.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	17149  
Old 15 July 2008, 11:38   #28
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyearthnexus View Post
DAMNED OOLITE!! It's impossible to enter the coriolis!!!
You are kidding, right? Just head towards the station, eventually you will be able to make out the marker buoy near the station. Fly up to the buoy and stop. Then flip over and head towards the station at "ahead slow".

The marker lights inside the landing bay make it easier I reckon, especially the four in the centre, once you have the crosshairs lined up it should be a piece of cake.

Mind you, I spent wwwaaayyy too much time on this game as a kid...
Old 15 July 2008, 11:53   #29
Titler
Zone Friend

If you ever get stuck with something, doing a "X Video" google search usually pulls up something useful; so here's a manual docking video for "Oolite Docking Video" I found

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 July 2008, 13:38   #30
reyearthnexus

eh no..unfortunately I m not kidding...of course Im accustomed to classic speed...

ah, in another 3d i posted somewhere in this site Arnie said me that i stupidly forgot to write ":" after "ram" in command shell.... now i will try again----->(edit) yes, now it works!! But what i have to do now? (see picture)

For Oolite's docking: now I will play again...but anyway i think its TOO hard...

for ClassicElite:...uuh...I never knew that Fuel Scoop allows to refuel che ship drivin fast near the sun (i read in Titler's Bible...)..so I tryed just some minutes ago.....NOTHING.
How close to the star? I filled 3/4 and more CT bar...then the allarm started and I renounced

-NOTHING-

Im really angry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eli.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	17154  

Last edited by reyearthnexus; 15 July 2008 at 13:58.
Old 15 July 2008, 15:12   #31
reyearthnexus

@ MERLIN: little by little I'm succesfully playing Oolite...but...THIS ONE (see picture)?? something tells me I should not to buy it...its becoming giant...!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	merda.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	17156  
Old 15 July 2008, 16:34   #32
Titler
Zone Friend

I believe that is a Tribble...?
As for Fuel Scooping, you need to go closer... closer... closer... this close to a star to fuel scoop; make sure you are at full speed as you approach, then do a 180 as soon as your tanks are full, to start lowering temperature again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Elite 2.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	17157  
Old 15 July 2008, 16:57   #33
reyearthnexus

Happy

YEAA

I cant believe to my eyez...maybe I never could imagine what you meant with so close..

the a 180 eh? well...i'll try!! have I to press any key to activate it? Or it will be detect automatically the right distance to turn itself on?

what have I to do with that MONSTER?? to bring him away to somewhere...?
Old 15 July 2008, 17:07   #34
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
YEAA

I cant believe to my eyez...maybe I never could imagine what you meant with so close..

the a 180 eh? well...i'll try!! have I to press any key to activate it? Or it will be detect automatically the right distance to turn itself on?

what have I to do with that MONSTER?? to bring him away to somewhere...?
If it's the mission I'm thinking of (it doesn't appear in the Amiga version, C64 and a few others only), you need to star-skim, like with fuel scooping, to raise your ship temperature and kill some of them off if they get too out of control; but otherwise, deliver them to a certain star system... Read up the information on the Tribbles mission in my first link

The fuel scoop is automatic; but you need to do a 180 degree turn as you'll be flying at full speed, and delay one or two seconds too long and you'll go POP!
Old 16 July 2008, 10:35   #35
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Quote:
...i discovered that there was before a better version of that game (maybe the BEST ever) for Archimedes (Acorn..or something like that...)
..well I searched for a long time as I wrote, downloading a lot of emulators, RedSquirrel, B-em, Arculator, but I found them very hard to set up . I found - I think - the right adf file of the game but maybe I'm really unskillful..
I noticed no one mentioned anything about the Acorn versions of the game mentioned in your original post, so I thought I would.

The very first original version of Elite was created on the UK home computer called the Acorn BBC Micro. This was a very good 8-bit system invented by the UK TV company BBC for use by home users to tie in with a TV series on using computers, and the BBC Micro went on to be in every school in the UK. The Acorn Archimedes was the successor to the BBC Micro and was the first fully 32-bit home computer released in the UK (not sure about the world). This system also went on to be in most schools in the UK. And the Archimedes version of Elite is indeed very good.

Archimedes emulation would be very confusing for anyone who has never used a real Archimedes computer as the RISCOS operating system is very unique to the system. For emulation it is also confusing that the name of the disk images for the Archimedes emulators are also called ADFs (Archimedes Disk Files). If you still want to get the Archimedes version working then PM me as I can lead you through how to do it, and also provide the files if needed.

The very first original BBC Micro version of Elite is also worth playing just to see where the game started and how good the original really was, especially when you consider the computing power available at the time. Again if you need help running it via emulation let me know.

I also noticed that Frontier: Elite II hasn't really been mentioned in this thread either. Have you played Frontier? And if so what do you think of it compared to the original Elite? It is probably my favourite game of any on the Amiga. Back at the time of its release I must have spent many months playing the game.

And if you like space trading games then the recent PC games X are highly recommended and worth playing. X3 Reunion can be found at low prices these days and is a great game with scope far beyond anything imagined at the time of the original Elite's creation.
Old 16 July 2008, 13:32   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I played Elite on Amiga to death, but no matter what I did, I could never attain higher than 'DEADLY'.
Old 16 July 2008, 13:41   #37
Monsterland

I don't really remember if I reached elite status on the amiga but on the pc version (elite plus) it was just a matter of killing a certain amount of enemy ships.
Old 16 July 2008, 13:58   #38
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I played Elite on Amiga to death, but no matter what I did, I could never attain higher than 'DEADLY'.

It was down to how many kills you made - but unlike the BBC version there was a point system - so a Thargoid would be worth more than an Asp, which would be worth more than an asteroid. You got a "Right on, Commander!" message every 256 points and I think you acheived Deadly status at 3000 points, and Elite at 6000 points. That's to the best of my memory, anyway.
Old 16 July 2008, 14:11   #39
Monsterland

I remember killing lots of thargoids by using the retro engine to warp myself miles away from the incoming enemies and taking them out one by one from large distances.
Old 16 July 2008, 15:54   #40
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterland View Post
I remember killing lots of thargoids by using the retro engine to warp myself miles away from the incoming enemies and taking them out one by one from large distances.
I remember the tactic - but I usually settled for inducing a Witchspace jump, and taking out the locals at close range, and trying to bag the Tharglets as they were jetisoned. It probably didn't hurt to have the Naval Energy Unit for these close encounters but survival wasn't certain - at least for me.