English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 April 2006, 13:46   #61
StarEye
Zone Friend

Just wanted to say I've recieved the dvd today and it's fabulous! Great work, thanks a lot!
Old 12 April 2006, 14:10   #62
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Me too. Received the DVD. Great work. Will test it out over the weekend. Thanks again.
Old 12 April 2006, 14:18   #63
DamienD
Banned

Excellent news StarEye and lopos2000

lopos2000, I believe you were one of the first people to get the DVD. If you want it to be up-to-date with the latest 2 changes, you would need to do the following and reburn:

... Apply Modified.zip (for the file and instruction see post #33)
... Apply Modified2.zip (for the file and instruction see post #50)

StarEye, I think you got a copy of the DVD after the 1st change had been made. If you want it to be up-to-date with the latest changes, you would need to just do the following and reburn:

... Apply Modified2.zip (for the file and instruction see post #50)

...but don't know if it's worth reburning just yet guys as tonight I will hopefully be working on the things that myself and Macca have been discussing
Old 12 April 2006, 15:15   #64
Macca
Zone Friend

Must admit that although I don't have mine yet the amount of work that you've put into it (even from reading these posts) should be applauded.

I love little projects like this - it makes me want to re-do mine!

Are there any other little problems that we (as a collective) can help with?
Old 12 April 2006, 15:42   #65
DamienD
Banned

I must admit that it really makes me feel very happy when I receive comments like this. Although it's not really important per say (or my reason for doing this), it's good to know that people appreciate all the effort you've put in.

Saying that though, in essence all I'm really doing is making it easier for the end user to set up the emulator and everything else...

I really take my hat off to the people who actually have the knowledge + understand a system so well, then spend loads of their personal time to use these acquired skills / knowledge in order to create / program / update the actual emulator. Not to mention that this is virtually always done for free and nothing is expected in return... Of course I'm taking about people like Toni Wilen, the MAME team and the Snes9x author. These people are the real champions here, let's not forget that and they deserve the utmost respect

Imagine how proud they must be of their "babies", I know I would be

Last edited by DamienD; 12 April 2006 at 15:48.
Old 12 April 2006, 15:59   #66
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
Are there any other little problems that we (as a collective) can help with?
There's one or two very small things that are not really a problem as such... Would like to have them working in a slightly better manner though.

In the middle of addressing these at the moment...

If I get stuck, I'll definitely ask for some advice / help / assistance. Many thanks for asking
Old 12 April 2006, 16:37   #67
Macca
Zone Friend

No problem I think that it's only fair that we should at least some of our knowledge of Windows and what have you to help if we can.

Agree with the emulator makers 100% everything from WinUAE, to CCS64 and the biggest one MAME should be held in a hall of fame. In 5-10 years we'll be playing PS2/3 and XBOX 360 games on Emulators which is why I love the PC.

Can't wait to get home to see if the postman has been!

Macca
Old 12 April 2006, 19:38   #68
Macca
Zone Friend

Postman has been!

Just having a look now and guess I'll download those files.

Macca
Old 12 April 2006, 20:59   #69
StarEye
Zone Friend

Just realized I really need an audio cable to connect to my tv for the perfect setup. Already have picture, but not sound.
Old 12 April 2006, 21:04   #70
DamienD
Banned

If you want to play it through the TV then unfortunately yes

I actually use an audio cable from the laptop --> my stereo. Better sound than the TV speakers
Old 12 April 2006, 21:37   #71
Macca
Zone Friend

Just an update for the rest of you guys who don't have it yet - must admit this is a cracking compilation many of the games that are there I would have picked myself (and Donkey Kong Country is owning me again as usual - lol)

Can't wait until we can finalise this then we can get it uploaded for the rest of you guys..

Thanks again mate - excellent stuff!

Macca
Old 13 April 2006, 12:41   #72
Macca
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Just realized I really need an audio cable to connect to my tv for the perfect setup. Already have picture, but not sound.
Alternatively you could just use your PC speakers.

Macca
Old 13 April 2006, 19:23   #73
StarEye
Zone Friend

I wouldn't call that an option, considering my PC speakers and my TV is in entirely different locations.
Old 13 April 2006, 20:05   #74
Macca
Zone Friend

Wireless speakers? lol I'm just being predantic...

Seriously easiest way is to connect a cable.
Old 13 April 2006, 22:15   #75
DamienD
Banned

Hey guys,

Well, I finished this update last night but have been trying to work out a very minor thing so didn't post this today already (will explain later)...

Just thought to myself, hey it's Easter why not give everybody the "new", "improved" update (as currently I'm not sure if I will overcome this "minor thing" and it is minor).

So without further delay, here is the latest update which does the following:

... Adds UNC path's to everything i.e. SETUP.EXE, Front End and finally the Emulator (yet still allowing you to open new games). The emulator part was the hard one (see previous posts) but finally got it working with the use of subst (many thanks Macca for reminding me of this). It did however, require me to re-think / re-create my Desktop shortcut that gets copied across.
... Update of the CD / DVD finding batch file so that it always picks up the first internal CD / DVD drive (obviously if you only have a CD drive this compilation is useless anyway). Before it would grab a virtual drive or USB key if it was first in the drive letters, now it doesn't matter which order they are in).

Now, to update your current DVD... The good news is that no matter what stage you received the DVD off me in, this update will bring all 3 different versions up-to-date. Here's what you need to do:

... Download the attached Modified3.zip.
... Copy all of your DVD's contents to the root of a Local Partition.
... Delete the file SETUP.EXE in the directory \SNES.
... Delete the directory \SNES\DESKTOP.
... Delete the directory \SNES\REGISTRY.
... Extract Modified3.zip to the root of the Local Partition that you copied all the DVD's contents to.
... Reburn the DVD.

Any questions / problem / issues, just ask me...

Hope that you all have / will enjoy the DVD and have a very happy Easter with family and friends.

Best regards

Last edited by DamienD; 16 January 2016 at 14:37.
Old 16 April 2006, 15:52   #76
Bloodwych

Thanks for the great support!

Updating now. Hope you have a great easter too.
Old 16 April 2006, 21:44   #77
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Thanks for the great support!

Updating now. Hope you have a great easter too.
Your welcome Bloodwych, thank you for your excellent suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
regarding the snes dvd i have been having some problems with snes9x so i've switched to zsnes (with your rom set).
Hey sarek2k, hmmm I must say that I also tried zsnes and found this to be inferior to snes9x. What problems are you having with snes9x?
Old 16 April 2006, 21:59   #78
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
basically it keeps crashing very soon after i start playing anything (pilotwings for instance) i played about with the sound settings as sound was awfull, i improved it but after a while it still crashes! don't know whether it's because i have a pentium 4 (prescott) processor or if you can get a version optimized for that!

so i tried zsnes and that runs flawlessly! i have my usb ps2 joystick on too and it runs great! if i am playing a game like DKC i use scanlines if it's a vector style game like pilotwings i use hq2x setting and it looks smooth as silk!
Old 16 April 2006, 22:06   #79
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I've always preferred zsnes to snes9x, in my opinion it's definitely the better of the two.
Old 16 April 2006, 22:25   #80
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
basically it keeps crashing very soon after i start playing anything (pilotwings for instance) i played about with the sound settings as sound was awfull, i improved it but after a while it still crashes! don't know whether it's because i have a pentium 4 (prescott) processor or if you can get a version optimized for that!

so i tried zsnes and that runs flawlessly! i have my usb ps2 joystick on too and it runs great! if i am playing a game like DKC i use scanlines if it's a vector style game like pilotwings i use hq2x setting and it looks smooth as silk!
Crashes after starting to play anything? I've played / finished quite a few games like:

... Blackthorne
... Donkey Kong Country
... Super Star Wars
... Super Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back
... Super Star Wars - Return of the Jedi

Just tried Pilot Wings and it seemed fine...

Maybe it does have something to do with your Pentium 4 (Prescott) processor?

On one laptop I have a Mobile Intel Pentium 4 - M CPU 1.80GHz processor and on the other a Intel Pentium III 697MHz processor and it runs perfectly.

Stupid question but have you tried exiting stuff in your System Tray like virus software etc?

Last edited by DamienD; 16 April 2006 at 22:32.