English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 November 2010, 00:02   #21
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Maybe I should've said "Chip RAM loader" then (apologies), but isn't loading data on the fly precisely how a chip-ram-only HD loader works? (I'm going by the assumption that anything not specified as a Fast loader doesn't require Fast RAM full stop, of course).
It is not a "Chip Ram loader" as I already said. It will just load parts from the disk image on the fly and it doesn't have the be chip ram, it'll just load the data from the disk image to the memory location the game requests (can be fast or chip) while the fast ram version will just copy the data from the buffered disk images in RAM.
Old 04 November 2010, 00:15   #22
MethodGit

Ah okay, got it now. Thanks for explaining it.
Old 19 November 2010, 12:57   #23
marsbar

Hello!

Hope you're all keeping well! It still surprises me that after 15 years people are still talking about these...!

There's a story behind all this confusion and filenames you know...!

The 'Cwuk-Loader.EXE's were my statement to the world that THOU SHALT BUY MORE FAST RAM! :-) I started doing these at school and I needed to get them working on a friends A500/0.5Meg Fast/HD because he was the only one with a modem and I wanted Shadow of the Beast II before anyone else :-) These chip loaders only worked if you booted into a minimal Hard Drive Startup Sequence with nothing else running - we used to have a tool very early on in our Startup Sequence that listed our games so they could be started before anything else... 'Cwuk-Loader' would still use the _LVO's to call into the ROM / Hard Drive routines so if those _LVO's were overwritten by the game all kinds of shaftiness would ensue (I miss the frantic copperlist fireworks and strange hissing noise my friends Multisync monitor would make when things went wrong! So much more exciting than Dr Watson! Ah, the days before MMU's...).

The 'Cwuk-Loader.EXE's hardly worked on any machines, but most of them failed because A-Hole here (ie: moi!) for some reason was saving and writing back out the memory location of the BCPL Pointer (and I've no idea why!). Thrash!/Anthrox pointed that out to me and I was rather embarrassed I did it because it was a trifle obvious... given that I already had a few dozen installers out by this point, I decided to put my routines into a library (MackHDLibrary) so that I could standardize & upgrade the routines later on :-) I eventually patched about 20 games using MackHDLibrary working with a few cracks & trainer combos each, based on feedback from lots of peeps, but I never got around to releasing them because I went to Uni and sold the miggy.

The Fast-Loader's worked on every machine I had access to (we used to test them on A500,A1500/68040 & A1200 before release) because all of the images were loaded into memory and the loaders (already simplified by crackers) were just patched to pull data out of memory. I could never work out or get my hands on a machine where these failed but I know a lot peeps had problems with them from messages I got on Chem's board ('Call the Crimewatch Incident Desk' Soap City BBS... RIP!). As hardware become cheaper, and more 68040+'s were owned, they more or less became unusable.

Oh, yeah, and all of the patches worked only on particular cracks with particular trainers :-) [It used to take a long time to download a DMS file in those days! I couldn't be doing it for all cracks!] A1200 fixes etc. would alter the images and render them un-installable.

Alas!

Nostalgia!

Mars Bar / ex-CWUK (now in Sydney)

Last edited by marsbar; 19 November 2010 at 13:21. Reason: A1200

Old 19 November 2010, 14:35   #24
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Howdi marsbar a blast from the past, now days we have WHDload for HD games but your installs still get the odd bit of use - Thanks for the memories
Old 19 November 2010, 16:19   #25
kriz

Nice information mars bar =