English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 August 2017, 04:38   #1
IvanEBC

New to OS4. What do i look at?

Hiya Folks.

Over the weekend i setup OS4.1 FE Classic with Amikit/Flowerpot.

This is the very first time i've look at this, so its exciting but i'm also staring blankly thinking, what do i look at first?

So i'm here looking for suggestions on games and (scene) demos that are the "must have". I'd prefer anything unique to OS4, no PC remakes, though exceptions can be made.

I found "http://www.os4depot.net" via google but wonder if there's other places that are worth a look to find "the good stuff"

Also, am i to understand that some stuff won't work in the emulated environment? What am i looking for, how will i know its going to work to save me time downloading (like trying to run AGA demos on an A500 for example)

Thank you folks....
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 August 2017, 12:40   #2
Daedalus

There's not a huge amount to be said really, OS4Depot is probably where you'll find most stuff. There isn't much in the way of demos that I've heard of, and most stuff of interest is likely a port from somewhere else. Depending on how fast your host machine is, you may struggle to run them. There are some games that might be of interest - a Battle Squadron remake, MACE and the upcoming Tower 57 all look quite interesting, and then you're into older ports like Castle Wolfenstein, Beats of Rage, Gorky17 and so on. A lot of the older 68k/PPC stuff also runs well under OS4 (Earth2140, Wipeout 2097 etc.), but since you're running under emulation there's not much point running them under OS4 as they're sure to run faster under an OS3 68k/PPC setup instead where the 68k emulation isn't on top of PPC emulation.
Old 12 August 2017, 18:56   #3
IvanEBC

interesting - thanks .... yeah .. i haven't found the experience to be overwhelming yet, after the first 2 nights, i haven't played with it again and founds things a bit cluncky, don't know if it is the emulation, lack of gfx card or just my inexperience....
Old 12 August 2017, 18:57   #4
Akira

Welcome to the void. There's not much to do here
Old 13 August 2017, 02:25   #5
idrougge

AFAIK, OS4 emulation is very slow compared to real machines.
Old 13 August 2017, 05:42   #6
IvanEBC

It doesn't feel slow ..... turn on JIT and its okay, it doesn't feel sluggish. I just don't have much to play with, i'll return to it this week with some of the earlier suggestions.
Old 16 August 2017, 13:47   #7
Daedalus

It's slow compared to dedicated hardware, but probably still feels fast if you're comparing it to an AGA screenmode for example. You'll probably see the difference using a web browser for example (Try Odyssey - don't bother even downloading Timberwolf). Using things like AmiCygnix can be a little sluggish on real hardware with a G4 - I suspect it's a nightmare under emulation, if it runs at all.
Old 16 August 2017, 14:02   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Simple: It is slow (in graphics) if compared to PCI bridge expanded classic with some nice modernish display card. It is faster (at least if PC is fast) than real thing if compared to system with ancient Z2 or Z3 display card.

(btw, JIT checkbox makes no difference with PPC emulation. PPC is always in JIT mode.)
Old 16 August 2017, 23:56   #9
idrougge

Note that I'm comparing it to AmigaOne hardware. Classic hardware is always slow.
AdSense AdSense