English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11 August 2017, 11:07   #161
supaduper
Registered User
supaduper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
OK, so this works with the new firmware via this method? That would require a USB-A - USB-A cable (which I have) and shorting some pins/holes? How does a n00b like me do that? Are there some "jumpers with pins" available for that?

So if this turns out to be easy I may get a Gotek after all and use it with an A500+ACA500plus as external drive and use the ACA500plus as bootselector to have the Gotek runs as df0. That can be any cheap Gotek offered in China, correct, as long as I flash the right firmware on it. Would that be possible?
Go for it mate its easy peasy, we will help ya !
here is a pic of the Gotek pinout( Some Gotek PCBs only have 2 holes on the bottom set so just bridge to the first hole) and the links for the dfufse software and how-to video are in this thread, If you want I can send you the the converted Hex to DFU file needed to flash the gotek if needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gotek defuse pin set.png
Views:	61
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	54135
supaduper is online now  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 August 2017, 11:18   #162
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
That's a very useful feature as those 1602 LCDs are massive.
I have the HxC bootloader in my Goteks - can I test this release without removing that?
JF keeps an HxC-compatible update file for FF in the HxC distribution. Of course you would need to wait for that to be updated.

Buy another Gotek
kaffer is offline  
Old 11 August 2017, 11:19   #163
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Go for it mate its easy peasy, we will help ya !
here is a pic of the Gotek pinout( Some Gotek PCBs only have 2 holes on the bottom set so just bridge to the first hole) and the links for the dfufse software and how-to video are in this thread, If you want I can send you the the converted Hex to DFU file needed to flash the gotek if needed.

Attachment 54135
The red bridge/jumper in that picture concerns me a bit as it's connecting 5v power to a pin that can be configured to 0v (if in use as serial Tx). I would try connecting via a current-limiting resistor (eg 1k).
kaffer is offline  
Old 11 August 2017, 14:38   #164
ch40s_engineer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cologne
Posts: 71
Good to know... I have done it like this on 5 drives in total and had no problems, but will take this into account for the next ones. better safe than sorry ☺️
ch40s_engineer is offline  
Old 11 August 2017, 15:25   #165
supaduper
Registered User
supaduper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch40s_engineer View Post
Good to know... I have done it like this on 5 drives in total and had no problems, but will take this into account for the next ones. better safe than sorry ☺️
Yes I have done loads the same but no problem,you learn something new all the time ,thanks Kaffer
supaduper is online now  
Old 12 August 2017, 11:17   #166
SunSpire
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 13
Just out of curiosity, would config-less mode be limited to 999 .adf files on the USB stick, or will it select beyond the maximum # the 3 digit LCD can physically display?

EDIT: tested it right now and it does indeed go above 999 and then simply shows 100 for 1000, 101 for 1010 .. and so on. So all as expected and perfectly fine! So of course an OLED display would be much nicer (already on my stuff-to-buy list), but I was wondering would some sort of on-screen display also be doable, kaffer?

And somebody on the German A1k forums pointed out that your firmware is already being sold (Ebay) on pre-flashed Gotek drives, maybe a line of text near the top of the screen stating "this is freeware - if you bought it you've been ripped off" might be a good idea?

Last edited by SunSpire; 12 August 2017 at 11:47.
SunSpire is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 12:03   #167
supaduper
Registered User
supaduper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpire View Post
Just out of curiosity, would config-less mode be limited to 999 .adf files on the USB stick, or will it select beyond the maximum # the 3 digit LCD can physically display?

EDIT: tested it right now and it does indeed go above 999 and then simply shows 100 for 1000, 101 for 1010 .. and so on. So all as expected and perfectly fine! So of course an OLED display would be much nicer (already on my stuff-to-buy list), but I was wondering would some sort of on-screen display also be doable, kaffer?

And somebody on the German A1k forums pointed out that your firmware is already being sold (Ebay) on pre-flashed Gotek drives, maybe a line of text near the top of the screen stating "this is freeware - if you bought it you've been ripped off" might be a good idea?
They must be mad to pay that !
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-09 um 14.27.19.png
Views:	127
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	54158

Well outof Auftrag!
supaduper is online now  
Old 12 August 2017, 13:17   #168
BarryB
Amigaholic

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,414
The COPYING readme of FlashFloppy clearly states:

Code:
Anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or 
distribute this software, either in source code form or as a compiled 
binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any 
means.
So I would say that eBay seller is doing nothing wrong according to the above statement as long the licensing conditions in the COPYING file are met!
BarryB is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 13:23   #169
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
The COPYING readme of FlashFloppy clearly states:

Code:
Anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or 
distribute this software, either in source code form or as a compiled 
binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any 
means.
So I would say that eBay seller is doing nothing wrong according to the above statement as long the licensing conditions in the COPYING file are met!
People are free to sell the firmware, I don't care. I would hope it will end up replacing the Cortex-flashed drives on Ebay, and at that price point. Seems a reasonable price to pay for those who want minimal hassle. But I'm not going to try and police what people end up paying, or any nonsense like that.
kaffer is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 13:31   #170
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpire View Post
Just out of curiosity, would config-less mode be limited to 999 .adf files on the USB stick, or will it select beyond the maximum # the 3 digit LCD can physically display?

EDIT: tested it right now and it does indeed go above 999 and then simply shows 100 for 1000, 101 for 1010 .. and so on. So all as expected and perfectly fine! So of course an OLED display would be much nicer (already on my stuff-to-buy list), but I was wondering would some sort of on-screen display also be doable, kaffer?
OSD on the Amiga's display, someone was discussing it, it might be possible. I'm not seriously investigating at the moment though.

Regarding >1000 config-less files. Surprised that worked, actually I meant to clamp it to 1000. Is >1000 useful? If I support it I have some bugs to fix...

EDIT: I should support it really, I would like to support entering directories (on OLED/LCD display) too. Guess I have a bit of work to do lol.
kaffer is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 14:57   #171
SunSpire
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
People are free to sell the firmware, I don't care. I would hope it will end up replacing the Cortex-flashed drives on Ebay, and at that price point. Seems a reasonable price to pay for those who want minimal hassle. But I'm not going to try and police what people end up paying, or any nonsense like that.
fair play, and totally cool!


Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
Regarding >1000 config-less files. Surprised that worked, actually I meant to clamp it to 1000. Is >1000 useful? If I support it I have some bugs to fix...

EDIT: I should support it really, I would like to support entering directories (on OLED/LCD display) too. Guess I have a bit of work to do lol.
It's really great to be able to simply whack a bazillion files on the stick and not have to worry about anything else as they work out of the box. To test some more, I put a few thousand files on the stick (root dir) and created a matching text file list in notepad++ starting at 0000, then booted up a random # on the Amiga, let's say for example 580.

According to the text file it was supposed to be "this program" but instead I got "that program". Investigated some more and realized a few .adf files are larger than 901.120 bytes, my guess was they are being ignored by FF and therefore the numbers from the text file do not match, so I deleted them and made a new list. And now all files are matching up.

I remember seeing elsewhere that someone had set up a remote control for an HxC flashed drive with which he could easily enter the exact disk number and the Gotek would jump there, rather than having to shift through hundreds of images by pressing the drive's own buttons, but that's something I'll investigate later on. For now it works just fine.

By the way, directory support is a great idea
SunSpire is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 17:49   #172
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,282
I can't believe people pay 44 euros to get this done. I guess lazy people have a lot of expendable income too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpire View Post
I remember seeing elsewhere that someone had set up a remote control for an HxC flashed drive with which he could easily enter the exact disk number and the Gotek would jump there, rather than having to shift through hundreds of images by pressing the drive's own buttons
I already suggested to kaffer something about this, but dunno when he could implement it if he wants to.

Basically the way the Selector works could be changed radically for making this kind of stuff a little bit better, I personally don't see the use for indexed mode, or why you would populate slots from the Amiga with a joystick/keyboard and the way it works now, takes forever. I would do a "conceptual" rewrite of the whole thing, but I don't know how, yet.

kaffer, I can bother you again about this whenever you are ready Seems to me you are focusing on the firmware itself right now and that's better.
Akira is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 20:47   #173
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
kaffer, I can bother you again about this whenever you are ready Seems to me you are focusing on the firmware itself right now and that's better.
Yes a conceptually different design for a selector would be a good thing imo, and I plan to write a new selector for Amiga. But I do need to sort the firmware some more first, it's not quite there yet. So for now, slot-based selector and the config-less operation (best with an LCD) are going to be the only options, perhaps with some plain-text configuration stuff thrown in.
kaffer is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 20:50   #174
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpire View Post
It's really great to be able to simply whack a bazillion files on the stick and not have to worry about anything else as they work out of the box. To test some more, I put a few thousand files on the stick (root dir) and created a matching text file list in notepad++ starting at 0000, then booted up a random # on the Amiga, let's say for example 580.

According to the text file it was supposed to be "this program" but instead I got "that program". Investigated some more and realized a few .adf files are larger than 901.120 bytes, my guess was they are being ignored by FF and therefore the numbers from the text file do not match, so I deleted them and made a new list. And now all files are matching up.
Yes, no support for "Extended ADFs" yet, only the fixed-size 880kB basic ADFs. FlashFloppy automatically filters out images which it knows it cannot support.

I will move away from "slots" entirely in the no-config mode when LCD/OLED is attached. Just cycle through files/dirs, pause 2 seconds to select / enter the subfolder. For the 3-digit display there's no real getting away from slots/numbers as three digits is the only UI feedback you can get I can thoroughly recommend an OLED display and the bit of work to fit it in place of the 3-digit display (it's just small enough to fit in place with a bit of Gotek case rework).
kaffer is offline  
Old 12 August 2017, 23:21   #175
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,282
Can we use a 128x32 non-OLED display too?
OLED is usually too damn bright for my liking.
Akira is offline  
Old 13 August 2017, 00:24   #176
WalterM
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3
What about a serial to bluetooth integration to F-F and selecting the files on your smartphone? That will make unnecessary to add OLEDs or any other display, just a "bt connection on" led will be enough.
WalterM is offline  
Old 13 August 2017, 02:11   #177
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,282
Bluetooth is unreliable garbage and having a BT stack running would eat up precious space in the flash. I rather have more functionality.

Not everyone wants to attach their modern slavery device to their liberating old computers anyway :P LED options are just great and work perfectly without the need of ridiculous extra devices.
Akira is offline  
Old 13 August 2017, 02:27   #178
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,070
BTLE is not unreliable, and the stack doesn't have to run from the flash (or rather, it cannot).
idrougge is offline  
Old 13 August 2017, 11:20   #179
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Can we use a 128x32 non-OLED display too?
OLED is usually too damn bright for my liking.
If there's one with the same I2C interface then sure. But I didn't find the OLED display overly bright. Also it has a contrast setting which I could make configurable.
kaffer is offline  
Old 13 August 2017, 11:22   #180
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM View Post
What about a serial to bluetooth integration to F-F and selecting the files on your smartphone? That will make unnecessary to add OLEDs or any other display, just a "bt connection on" led will be enough.
If someone wrote the phone software it would probably not be too hard to connect up a bluetooth-serial adapter to the Gotek's serial pins, and have the firmware dtrt.
kaffer is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help to open-source SAS/C Hauke Coders. General 35 26 September 2017 23:39
LCD on Gotek (with HxC firmware) christopherpm Hardware mods 1 08 January 2017 03:51
Gotek drive firmware for mounting .iso cd images Ox. Amiga scene 7 05 November 2014 06:14
Gotek drive firmware for Amiga general USB mass storage solution Supamax Amiga scene 2 20 September 2014 09:35
BlitzBasic - Is now open source Djay Amiga scene 2 08 February 2003 02:09

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.23615 seconds with 15 queries