English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 18 September 2010, 07:47   #21
8bitbubsy

Thanks!

I have never ever in my whole life seen a .MOD with samples longer than 65535.. I think you mean another sound format.
Also, 15 samples .MOD isn't ProTracker, it's some older tracker. I'm not sure if ProTracker itself will load these, I need to check that one day.

EDIT:
About platform porting:
Probably, depends on how portable the code will be. Things like the DISK OP. is a bit hard to make very portable (at least I don't know of any easy portable way of looking up a dir and see its files etc).

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 18 September 2010 at 11:21.
Old 18 September 2010, 12:34   #22
nooly

No problem, your project deserves bigger attention :]

There are many MOD files with samples bigger than 64kb and newer Protrackers support them, at least my 3.61 surely does. But I guess it's not a standard and only few newer trackers support this.

About porting Disk Op, I'd be happy with current status, clicking on button like Disk Op could activate standard API dialogue. But I know, it's too early to talk about this :]

P.S.: I listened to some of your modules yesterday and I really liked most of them :]

Old 18 September 2010, 13:17   #23
Asle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
EDIT: I tested the PT1.3 you linked to in WinUAE with those two modules, and no I don't hear any difference. Are you 100% sure you didn't run PT2.x instead? :P I really don't hear any big difference, it does handle "sample with no note/period" like PT1.3B.

Actually, this is not a playback problem It's a behavior in PT1.x vs PT2.x... In PT2.x, you don't play a sample without a note, but in PT1.x you do.. You see, I'm doing the PT1.x style. The replayer is coded by me and mukunda from scratch, and I've spent endless of hours making it as close to PT as possible (compatibility wise).. I'm sure there's some errors left to fix tho!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pro...2.zip/download
Please redownload to make sure you have the most recent revision.
I downloaded the correct file and experience the same issue. Please, download "between two waters" by Doh and play the pattern 10. Maybe my wording is wrong and it is only something like the old "GUS ultraclick".
I'm sorry for the lack of better report. I was hoping I could help, but obviously not much .

Please, don't get bothered by dubious reports like this. Keep up !

Sylvain
Old 18 September 2010, 20:25   #24
8bitbubsy

Asle:
Fixed... When a new sample number was found, it should set the new sample offset, sample length etc, but not reset the voice mixing position. Also, if the current channel read index >= new loop_length, then reset it to new loop_start.
Thanks a lot, I got what you meant now. I did indeed hear the difference. The "sample gets reset" click... Much better now!

http://16-bits.org/ProTracker-win32-r26012011.zip
(if you don't hear a difference, make sure you cleared the cache in your web browser, then download again)

EDIT: oops! Something is wrong now, gonna look into it.
EDIT2: Fixed! Now it's perfect. Same link

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 06 April 2011 at 17:05.
Old 19 September 2010, 15:43   #25
daxb

I can confirm the >64k sample issue. There isn`t complete support of them (you need to copy paste) but up to 128kb it works. There are really not many mods but a least I did one or two.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:33   #26
pmc
gone

Loving this bubsy - nice work.
Old 10 November 2010, 22:09   #27
Plagueis/KRX
coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Loving this bubsy - nice work.
Yes, this is some really good stuff, and a good addition to the cause of bringing up the "noise floor" of activity in the Amiga OCS/ECS (and AGA) community!
Old 24 November 2010, 09:41   #28
cosmiq

Great work! Keep it up.
I'd love to see this one finished... it might be even compo material for demoscene parties
niiice
Old 14 February 2011, 00:11   #29
8bitbubsy

I'll bump this thread.. There's a lot of changes, check out http://16-bits.org/ProTracker-win32-r26012011.zip
Put MOD.<filename> or <filename>.MOD files in the same directory as the executable, there's no way to change the texts yet, I have yet to write that routine.

Run "ProTracker-hardpanning.exe" instead of "ProTracker.exe" if you prefer the Amiga-ish "wide" stereo panning.

Also something I want to tell you:
This is not just another .MOD player... This one actually emulates some PT bugs and does vibrato/tremolo/invertloop just like PT does, check the sources for comments.
The sound mixer is heavily modified by aciddose/ad to drop bits and add blep+cutoff and stuff to get close to the "raw and crispy" Amiga Paula sound.

Crank up the volume and enjoy some good old .MODs, oldskool feeling guranteed!

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 06 April 2011 at 17:05.
Old 14 February 2011, 02:30   #30
spoUP

=)
Old 14 February 2011, 10:48   #31
SyX

You know how much i love this program, 8bitbusy

I use it exclusively in Hard Panning mode

For compiling in my linux machine, i only have changed in pt_diskop.c all the references to ent->d_namlen to strlen(ent->d_name), because the struct dirent doesn't have a d_namlen field in my system includes.
Old 14 February 2011, 14:41   #32
h0ffman

Thats some sweet work there 8bitbubsy!!!!

Tested it with a handful of mods and all seems to play pretty well...

Suggestion...

Needs a MONO option!!

Other than that, all wicked...
Old 14 February 2011, 23:06   #33
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

just tried in and it comes up with "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

[EDIT] ah - installed from http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/d...displaylang=en fixed it

Last edited by Coagulus; 14 February 2011 at 23:12. Reason: solved
Old 15 February 2011, 10:04   #34
SyX

Compiled and tested without any warnings
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
IT'S 8BITBUBSY!
Aarrghhh, i'm going to tattoo with nails and an hammer sorryyyyy... again
Old 25 February 2011, 23:13   #35
h0ffman

hey dude, really impressed with this, however it is currently not supporting an original protracker bug.

The trick is used a lot in chiop tunes. It is when you switch waveform without playing another note. Pattern data example...

A-2 2 000
3 000
4 000
5 000
A-2 2 000
3 000
4 000
5 000

If you grab my conversion of uridium 2 (loader) from modarchive or modland, play it in the original protracker and your protracker, you'll soon hear what i mean.

Last edited by TCD; 25 February 2011 at 23:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 27 February 2011, 01:49   #36
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
hey dude, really impressed with this, however it is currently not supporting an original protracker bug.

The trick is used a lot in chiop tunes. It is when you switch waveform without playing another note. Pattern data example...

A-2 2 000
3 000
4 000
5 000
A-2 2 000
3 000
4 000
5 000

If you grab my conversion of uridium 2 (loader) from modarchive or modland, play it in the original protracker and your protracker, you'll soon hear what i mean.
I know very well that technique, and you're sadly wrong..
My PT port does not only do sample swapping, it does it correctly just like ProTracker v1.3b. Most .MOD players on the PC change the sample source but they also reset the read position to the beginning of the sample (which makes the sound click heavily)... I've been many hours into this, and got some tips from 4-mat on how to do it correctly. And it's not a bug, it was a way PT1.x had. PT2.x removed this.

I just tested your tune *right now* in my PT, and it does on-the-fly sample pointer swapping just fine. Maybe you used ProTracker 2.x? Those versions does not change the sample pointer, only the volume in this situation.
You must've been using an extremely old version of my PT... Get the newest here: http://16-bits.org/ProTracker-win32-r26012011.zip

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 27 February 2011 at 02:02.
Old 27 February 2011, 08:51   #37
pmc
gone

Is it these differences between 1.x and 2.x that prompted you to remake ProTracker1.3b instead of any other...?

I only ask out of curiosity as 2.3d tends to be regarded as the "daddy" version - just idly wondering why you hadn't focussed on remaking that one.

Regardless, I really like your remake - plays modules very accurately from what I can hear when I try it playing various Amiga mods I know well.

While I understand accurate replay is your main focus, the thing I'd most like added is a file loader so that I can load modules without having to put them in the base directory of the tracker.
Old 28 February 2011, 15:11   #38
h0ffman

Cheers dude, will check it out, must have downloaded an old version!

hoff is much m0ng!
Old 02 March 2011, 14:18   #39
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Cheers dude, will check it out, must have downloaded an old version!

hoff is much m0ng!
Did it work this time?

Quote:
Is it these differences between 1.x and 2.x that prompted you to remake ProTracker1.3b instead of any other...?
Yep, and a lot of the older chip-styled MODs used the 1.x technique.

Quote:
Regardless, I really like your remake - plays modules very accurately from what I can hear when I try it playing various Amiga mods I know well.

While I understand accurate replay is your main focus, the thing I'd most like added is a file loader so that I can load modules without having to put them in the base directory of the tracker.
Thanks
Yeah, I'll get into that. As said, the main challenge now is to write a handler for editing texts in the tracker. This way you can change the path in the disk op. Another problem is the tiny amount of chars you can write in the boxes, I'll need to write auto-scrolling when it overflows.
Old 02 March 2011, 17:04   #40
Crown
Demoscener

8bit, you're doing a great job.

Do you think it could become a full tracker (rather than a player)?