English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 December 2009, 00:45   #1
xlar54

Amiga as an OS

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.xamiga.net/index.html

Looks like a minimalist Linux, emulating an Amiga. Pretty awesome in theory - was wondering if anyone has tried it?

It would be even more interesting to replace an Amiga motherboard with a PC motherboard and run this. An A2000 case would fit the bill nicely I would think.
Old 29 December 2009, 04:15   #2
xlar54

Looks like this has been around for awhile actually. I tried installing under VirtualBox, but it gets into all kinds of grief with the cdrom. (It wont properly recognize a host iso and a cdrom)
Old 29 December 2009, 06:06   #3
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

Development stopped 3 years ago, I'd recommend using AMithlon, even tho its older
Old 29 December 2009, 07:56   #4
xlar54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcast270mhz View Post
Development stopped 3 years ago, I'd recommend using AMithlon, even tho its older
I actually got it to work, although I think theres still some oddness under VirtualBox. When you say development stopped 3 years ago, isnt the real issue the UAE emulator that it runs on? It may be out of date, but it could be updated with a more recent copy? I wouldnt think the Linux under the hood matters all that much, even at 3 years old?

That all being said.. he really didnt do much of anything other than create a slimmed down Linux distro and an installer for UAE (no offense meant of course). I suppose one could just manually install Linux and UAE and get the same result. Still would be kinda sweet to put it all in a A2000 or 3000 case