English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 January 2011, 12:18   #81
NovaCoder

ok, cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vairn View Post
what did you change to make it work better, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm using GCC V3.3 at it's a bit crap, seems that some of the performance tuning options do some funny things to the code. I also swapped my custom Audio code out and just plugged in the 68k SDL instead.

Last edited by TCD; 13 January 2011 at 12:43. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 13 January 2011, 19:04   #82
Tumo007

Can't you use GCC 2.95? It seems to generate better ASM code. Anyone can confirm this?

Great work BTW, keep on rockin!
Old 13 January 2011, 21:41   #83
NovaCoder

Yep 2.95 is better.
Old 14 January 2011, 11:32   #84
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Hey nova, wouldn't it be easier to have 2 archives for ScummVM?
one for the exe. ex: ScummVM_030.lha ScummVM_040.lha etc
Then a ScummVM_Data.lha. so you don't have to upload 4 15 meg files?
cause I know how awesome Australia's internet is :P
Old 22 January 2011, 02:41   #85
NovaCoder

Can someone see if the latest version (1.4) can run Beneath a Steel Sky ok? You will need to replace the 'sky.cpt' file with the one from ScummVM AGA.

Thanks
Old 22 January 2011, 05:46   #86
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Can someone see if the latest version (1.4) can run Beneath a Steel Sky ok? You will need to replace the 'sky.cpt' file with the one from ScummVM AGA.

Thanks
Nops! I tried both floppy and CD MS-DOS versions and they freeze a few seconds after starting their respective intros. In the CD one the old man pronounces a couple of sentences while looking to the fire and dies... (not the old man, I mean the whole program crashes ). I tried with 1.1 with exactly the same results, anyway.

--
Old 22 January 2011, 05:51   #87
NovaCoder

Strange, works under WINUAE.

Thanks for trying it anyway

Last edited by NovaCoder; 22 January 2011 at 05:56.
Old 25 January 2011, 00:53   #88
NovaCoder

Discworld support in the Zone for testing

You can get the PC CDROM demo here

This release is just to test Discworld 1, no other games are supported in this release.
Old 25 January 2011, 16:49   #89
koshman

Ha, Discworld on Amiga, who would have thought that

Thanks, Novacoder.

Old 25 January 2011, 18:20   #90
rockersuke

Discworld!

I tried with a floppy version I had at hand. With default audio settings it stays gray-screen seemingly forever, but in "no-music" it works OK, as slow as Sam & Max, but playable!

Ow! such memories from my early PC days!

--
Old 26 January 2011, 03:03   #91
NovaCoder

Cool, thanks for trying that glad it is playable on an 030....that means it would rock on an 040/060

It would be good if one of they guys with a new 56Mhz 030 could give this a try to see what the performance is like.

You should find the GUI is quicker with this version and that single screen updates (eg when the game doesn't scroll) is also quicker.

You should try setting the player callback to 16 (default is 50) to see if that makes any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshman View Post
Ha, Discworld on Amiga, who would have thought that

Thanks, Novacoder.
Yep Discworld, Sam & Max, Full Throttle....all for AGA. I'll have loads of stuff to play when I get my new 56Mhz 030 SATA 1200 up and running

Last edited by TCD; 26 January 2011 at 07:27. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 26 January 2011, 07:45   #92
Vairn
The Grim-Button

030 56, my 030/50 is Jealous :P
I shall give it a try Later dude.
Old 26 January 2011, 08:55   #93
NovaCoder

cool, let me know how u get on
Old 27 January 2011, 11:19   #94
Vairn
The Grim-Button

It has been sitting on a grey screen for 3 or so mins.
it was grey, load load load, GUI.
select game.
grey load load load, grey.
now Waiting.
*edit* after waiting 10 mins, nothing is happening, so I gave up. Sorry dude.

Tested it under uae first (same SC Card) and it loaded.
got to the flying turtle.

Ok, no music got past the grey screen, I filmed it.
It was Slooooow.

I am upping a video now, no sound either

Last edited by Vairn; 27 January 2011 at 11:34.
Old 27 January 2011, 12:20   #95
NovaCoder

Try setting the audio to 'no music' using the ScummVM GUI that seems to get it working on a real 030. The MIDI emulation is just too much for an 030 it seems (an 060 can manage it ok obviously).

You can also play with the audio rate, set it down to 11k or even 8k and use the AHI device Stereo 8 bit (without the +).

Set both of these tool types to FALSE to enable requesters:

AUTO_SELECT_VIDEO
AUTO_SELECT_AUDIO

And if you're using Paula you could also try changing the player callback frequency down to 16 times per second using the tool type 'AUDIO_CALLBACK_RATE' which may help.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 27 January 2011 at 13:09.
Old 08 February 2011, 22:34   #96
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hey Nova: Do you know what? I'm playing it!!!
Only a couple of things: when you go to install the 060Aga version it's install script fails saying about a missing ScummVM.info
Well, really I didn't need the installation. I used the Scummvm of the drawer and only changed to no sound. I left ALL the rest as it is. I mean, I didn't touched AHI even. It plays at FULL speed. Only the music at the beginning at some moments wasn't playing well, but... for the lights of the HD it was reading it very very fast.

Apart ot this, as I say I didn't change anything... no other monitor types... nothing. I'm seeying it in my Tv. But, the only thing is that the screen is a little "up" in my TV. How do I change it?

I'm very very happy, Nova, and it's really going at full speed. Thank you very much for your work!!!

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 February 2011 at 12:09. Reason: I writted it wrong.
Old 08 February 2011, 22:56   #97
frikilokooo

However in 030 works very slow even without sound
Old 08 February 2011, 23:39   #98
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Hey Nova: Do you know what? I'm playing it!!!
Only a couple of things: when you go to install the 060Aga version it's install script fails saying about a missing Full Throttle.info
Well, really I didn't need the installation. I used the Scummvm of the drawer and only changed to no sound. I left ALL the rest as it is. I mean, I didn't touched AHI even. It plays at FULL speed. Only the music at the beginning at some moments wasn't playing well, but... for the lights of the HD it was reading it very very fast.

Apart ot this, as I say I didn't change anything... no other monitor types... nothing. I'm seeying it in my Tv. But, the only thing is that the screen is a little "up" in my TV. How do I change it?

I'm very very happy, Nova, and it's really going at full speed. Thank you very much for your work!!!
Cool, another happy customer

Yep it does hit that HD a lot (which is why I'm after an IDE FixExpress for my new Miggy). Glad you got it working in the end, the screen position problem can be fixed by tweaking your OverScan prefs while running in PAL mode. I normally just run in in VGA mode which seems to get everything centered well (see readme for details).

You should try the version in the Zone on your 56Mhz 030, I'd love to know if an 030 can run Discworld ok (without music of course!).

You can get the PC CDROM demo here

Thanks up for the heads up with the install script bug, I'll have to fix that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
However in 030 works very slow even without sound
Hiya,

Yep the code isn't optermized yet (see above) and it's too hard to make it any faster without having a real Amiga do develop it on. There's an experimental version in the Zone that only supports Discworld that may be a bit quicker than the versions on AmiNet.

There are a few things you can try to make it a bit faster though. For a start if you've got a sound card then use it over Paula, if you've only got Paula then select Stereo 8bit (without the +). Try running it in PAL mode and also adjust the playback frequency right down to say 8k (you have to restart ScummVM for any audio GUI settings to take effect BTW).

Last edited by TCD; 08 February 2011 at 23:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 09 February 2011, 10:36   #99
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Cool, another happy customer

You should try the version in the Zone on your 56Mhz 030, I'd love to know if an 030 can run Discworld ok (without music of course!).
Although I was one of the first to buy it, and have bought it twice..."Every other customer around the world has now received their product. We have never in 7 years of trading had any International Signed For packages go missing before.". I'm the one without lucky...
So still will have to wait. Anyway I'm getting a version of Discworld to try it.

Old 11 February 2011, 09:02   #100
NathanTolbert
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

I cannot comment on how it will run on my A4000D with my 060 yet, as I have to make some small changes to the scsi settings on my GVP4060DT to have it accept hard drives larger than 4GB, but I can attest to the fact that it runs well on my WinUAE setup that is supposed to mimic my A4000, using the same hard drive I will be using as well. DOTTAGA ran quite on my real A4000 so I'm going to hope that the rest do as well. I've noticed some mild graphic corruption during animations, and I cannot for the life of me get the program to identify that Discworld is there. Is this because I only own the CD-ROM version for PC? I'm loading my copies of Sam 'n Max, and Day of the Tentacle and I will check them soon as well. Thank you for all the hard work you have done. It's very very impressive!

Edit - When you say that 1.4.0 supports AGI, is that a game, or the AGI system from Sierra? If it's the latter, please let me know and I will start testing my expansive collection of AGI based games from sierra to see how they work.

Last edited by NathanTolbert; 11 February 2011 at 09:14.