English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What game do you want to see ported to the Amiga?
Rolling Thunder (Arcade) 11 6.92%
Gauntlet (Arcade) 12 7.55%
Shinobi (Arcade) 25 15.72%
Pacman (Arcade) 7 4.40%
Final Fight (Arcade) 16 10.06%
Rastan (Arcade) 15 9.43%
Side Arms (Arcade) 1 0.63%
Nemesis/Gradius (Arcade) 11 6.92%
Raiden (Arcade) 6 3.77%
Raiden II (Arcade) 3 1.89%
Space Invaders (Arcade) 0 0%
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) 3 1.89%
Wonder Boy (Arcade) 23 14.47%
Axelay (SNES) 3 1.89%
Double Dragon (Arcade) 6 3.77%
None - Do my own game! 17 10.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 September 2019, 00:45   #281
Don_Adan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warsaw/Poland
Age: 51
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
@Don_Adan

While a 1:1 port of Assault is not feasible i know that is possible to recreate a game with a similar mechanic: both Awesome and another helicopter game i forgot the title are using a rotative approach - using several sprites rather than rotate the background; i guess that could be expanded to use some filled polygons to give more colors...
I dont know, but maybe for AGA this game can be possible to do. Nice zoom effect. For me this game has very good control, two joysticks, very good for tank game, one joy for one tank caterpillar. I played this game many years ago, in only one arcade salon in Warsaw. I prefer two joysticks control than SNK control method for tank style games (rotate joystick), f.e. Ikari Warriors, Gondomania, TANK 3.
Don_Adan is offline  
Old 22 September 2019, 16:40   #282
gian2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 5
my favorite game is not on the list. I want a decent port of ghoul’s n ghost
gian2k is offline  
Old 22 September 2019, 21:41   #283
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sunny Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
I dont know, but maybe for AGA this game can be possible to do. Nice zoom effect. For me this game has very good control, two joysticks, very good for tank game, one joy for one tank caterpillar. I played this game many years ago, in only one arcade salon in Warsaw. I prefer two joysticks control than SNK control method for tank style games (rotate joystick), f.e. Ikari Warriors, Gondomania, TANK 3.
Could do something similar on A500 too, using a lower resolution background, but still having the scaling and zooming like in the arcade version.

I would use a 4x2 "fake" copper screen for the background, with a combination of hardware sprites and bobs for the other objects... It would probably run at 25fps, but still would look great.

The 4x4 fake copper roto-zoomout in De Profundis took approx 60% of a frame.. the other spare cycles were decompressing the next image in the background

So a 4x2 fake would leave another 70% or so (perhaps less with more planes enabled) of a 2nd frame to draw objects and run game logic
DanScott is offline  
Old 22 September 2019, 22:25   #284
Don_Adan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warsaw/Poland
Age: 51
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Could do something similar on A500 too, using a lower resolution background, but still having the scaling and zooming like in the arcade version.

I would use a 4x2 "fake" copper screen for the background, with a combination of hardware sprites and bobs for the other objects... It would probably run at 25fps, but still would look great.

The 4x4 fake copper roto-zoomout in De Profundis took approx 60% of a frame.. the other spare cycles were decompressing the next image in the background

So a 4x2 fake would leave another 70% or so (perhaps less with more planes enabled) of a 2nd frame to draw objects and run game logic
Original arcade need 2 x 68000 at 12.2MHz CPU. I thinked about AGA mostly for fastest CPU and more RAM, maybe for better graphics. But im amateur coder only.
Don_Adan is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 00:01   #285
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sunny Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 433
I already have the tech for 4x2 fake copper full rotation and scaling background @ 50hz
DanScott is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 00:02   #286
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sunny Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 433
yeah, for AGA and A1200+ perhaps can use 2x2 bitmap scaling... but the advantage of the copper screen is that you can have full bitplane usage over the top
DanScott is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 10:24   #287
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 2,088
and " Wonder boy " is still leading, @mcgeezer
fortunately you wrote
Quote:
[...] if I was to port another game [...]
malko is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 11:17   #288
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,387
I’d be more likely to do Shinobi if i was to do another one, or for a smaller project - kung fu master as it looks like the blitz basic one may have gone TITSUP.
mcgeezer is online now  
Old 23 September 2019, 11:31   #289
d4rk3lf
Registered User

d4rk3lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Novi Sad, Serbia
Posts: 509
I'd also prefer Shinobi over the Wonder Boy.
So, feel free to take my vote from Final Fight (we are going to get Metro Siege), and add it to the Shinobi.
d4rk3lf is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 11:53   #290
ross
Per aspera ad astra

ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Age: 49
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
yeah, for AGA and A1200+ perhaps can use 2x2 bitmap scaling... but the advantage of the copper screen is that you can have full bitplane usage over the top
Hi Dan, this is a good idea but I fail to understand how you can have a full bitplane usage over the top (if I properly understand what you mean by 'full plane').
Assuming you use two planes to increase the amount of dithering on the 8 HiColor pixels made with copper (vs one on De Profundis), you can use only two more planes..
Unfortunately AGA DMA fetches are "packed" and if you have more than four planes (even with FMODE=x4) you cannot emit any more a color with copper every 8 px.

Ok, you can 'dither' every 12px or 16px but the routine is no more the same.

The only way I see is a rendering directly on the 'fake' 2x2 plane but this implies having simple four colors 'free plane' OR
a big 16 colors (64*4) plane with AGA sprites (game screen is 256px).

But I probably didn't think of other ways you have taken in consideration .
ross is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 12:14   #291
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 15,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I'd also prefer Shinobi over the Wonder Boy.
So, feel free to take my vote from Final Fight (we are going to get Metro Siege), and add it to the Shinobi.
Done
DamienD is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 12:26   #292
d4rk3lf
Registered User

d4rk3lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Novi Sad, Serbia
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Done
hah...
I think you wouldn't be so fast in changing the pool, if I voted the other way around.
d4rk3lf is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 12:52   #293
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 15,102
Of course I would; these need to be made for any voting changes ASAP to keep the poll up-to-date and relevant
DamienD is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 13:48   #294
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,387
I could be tempted to do Shinobi, I'd have to improve the scrolling engine from Rygar but I was going to do that anyway.

The kicker is though that ... I wouldn't be able to call it Shinobi... it would have to be something else without copyright, but I'd be happy to make the game roughly the same.

It all depends if you Shinobi fan boys could live with that though.

... and besides... the game is similar to Rolling Thunder which is a big plus for me!
mcgeezer is online now  
Old 23 September 2019, 13:55   #295
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,743
Looking at 005AGIMA, why not call it Ibonihs?
Anubis is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 14:06   #296
d4rk3lf
Registered User

d4rk3lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Novi Sad, Serbia
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I could be tempted to do Shinobi, I'd have to improve the scrolling engine from Rygar but I was going to do that anyway.

The kicker is though that ... I wouldn't be able to call it Shinobi... it would have to be something else without copyright, but I'd be happy to make the game roughly the same.

It all depends if you Shinobi fan boys could live with that though.

... and besides... the game is similar to Rolling Thunder which is a big plus for me!
Just make an accessible IFF master screen title, that we could edit and change to whatever title we want.

Yeah, Rolling Thunder was great as well.
d4rk3lf is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 14:21   #297
amighista
Registered User

amighista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 39
I really would like a AGA version of Art of Fighting 1.
amighista is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 14:26   #298
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,743
Somehow Art of Fighting always seemed bit odd and not that great fighting game.
Anubis is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 14:58   #299
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 15,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
The kicker is though that ... I wouldn't be able to call it Shinobi... it would have to be something else without copyright, but I'd be happy to make the game roughly the same.
Why would it have to be named different and not the same gameplay wise?

The Amiga version of Rygar is called the same as the arcade version and virtually the same gameplay

Last edited by DamienD; 23 September 2019 at 15:04.
DamienD is offline  
Old 23 September 2019, 15:01   #300
ransom1122
Registered User
ransom1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omnicorp
Posts: 3,652
ShinAGAbi
ransom1122 is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Next ST game port : Oids meynaf Amiga scene 47 20 July 2017 08:15
anyone willing to port a dos game to amigaos honx Amiga scene 40 07 May 2017 12:57
<none> as default port 2 (game ports) sodapop request.UAE Wishlist 26 17 September 2016 20:31
A1200 Game Port Malfunctions? Please help investor support.Hardware 5 09 March 2007 14:25
Setting up game port controls HELP playedalive New to Emulation or Amiga scene 2 11 July 2005 02:17

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.10248 seconds with 16 queries