English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 01 March 2018, 10:37   #1
ray

Question Amiga 500 not loading Workbench environment

Hi,

I upgraded my Amiga 500 rev5 with this solution (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ight=rev+eprom) to run kickstart 3.X in a stable way. I bought cloanto kickstart rom 3.X version (http://amigastore.eu/es/455-rom-3x-a...006002000.html) and it seems to be running fine (tested on several games).

However, it does not completely load the workbench 3.1 environment (hangs on empty screen, computer still responsive, see attached image). The same thing happens when I try to load workbench 1.3 with kickstart 3.1 installed. Interestingly, when I install the original 1.3 ROM (EPROM workaround also still installed), the workbench 1.3 environment does load successfuly.

Does anybody have similar experiences with the Kickstart 3.X ROM?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WB.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	57069  

Old 01 March 2018, 16:27   #2
EzdineG

Amiga 500 not loading Workbench environment

I am unfortunately not familiar with the 3.X ROM, but i have done the pull-up mod on two Rev 5 boards and didn’t have this issue.

Is it possible your 3.X ROM is missing workbench.library? This is sometimes removed to free up space and has to exist on the storage medium that boots the machine.

[Edit]. Just saw this on the Cloanto site:

“The 3.X ROMs have a size of 512 KB, and are therefore compatible with all Amiga models except for the Amiga 1000. In order to make room for the enhancements, the 3.X ROMs employ the same technique used by Commodore for the 4000T ROMs, i.e. ROM space was freed by moving workbench.library out of the ROM. This means that a "Libs/workbench.library" file must be present on the boot disk, as detailed below.”
Old 01 March 2018, 16:34   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
Is it possible your 3.X ROM is missing workbench.library? This is sometimes removed to free up space and has to exist on the storage medium that boots the machine.
As far as I know the Cloanto Kickstart ROM 3.X actually has "workbench.library" inside where as the original Commodore one doesn't.
Old 01 March 2018, 16:38   #4
Amiga1992

Are you loading this from a floppy?
Start your Amiga while holding both mouse buttons of your mouse, and on the menu that shows up, select "Boot with no Startup-Sequence"

It should boot to an Amiga DOS prompt (if it does not let me know)
At this prompt type "ed s:startup-sequence". Make sure your WB disk is write-enabled.

It should look kind of like this:

Edit this file the following way:
- Remove the >NIL: text after Version
- Put a ";" before "FailAt 21"

Should look like this:

Press the ESC key, then the X key, then enter.

Reboot and report what happens. It should spew out an error.

If it says "Assign failed returncode" then undo the semicolon in front of FailAt 21 and try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench31 - wbench31_002.png
Views:	2813
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	57072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench31 - wbench31_001.png
Views:	3325
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	57073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench31 - wbench31_003.png
Views:	2889
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	57074  
Old 01 March 2018, 19:50   #5
ray

Thanks guys, for pointing me in the right direction (I think):
  • I tried modifying the startup sequence, which worked, but had no real effect. The loading screen now shows the kickstart version, but still ends up at the same empty screen as shown above.
  • The cloanto webpage gives more details on the missing workbench library and further changes to be made to startup sequence. I'm going to follow these guidelines and will let you know whether it works. For now, I'm waiting for them to respond to my support registration which should allow me to download the required library file

Old 03 March 2018, 10:32   #6
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post

[Edit]. Just saw this on the Cloanto site:

“The 3.X ROMs have a size of 512 KB, and are therefore compatible with all Amiga models except for the Amiga 1000. In order to make room for the enhancements, the 3.X ROMs employ the same technique used by Commodore for the 4000T ROMs, i.e. ROM space was freed by moving workbench.library out of the ROM. This means that a "Libs/workbench.library" file must be present on the boot disk, as detailed below.”
Thanks again This was indeed the solution. All is fine after adding workbench.library to the Workbench3.1 disk!

Old 07 September 2019, 16:44   #7
hugo_nl

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I seem to have the same problem.

I have installed the 3.X ROM and try to load AmigaOS 3.1.4 (booting from a CF card, using the HC508), but the Workbench stays empty.

I booted without a startup-sequence and discovered that a "workbench.library" file is present in the Workbench:/Libs/ directory, so I'm a bit confused why it does not work.

Any hints are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I figured it out. I was missing LoadModule. I downloaded that from aminet, placed it in the right directory, and have a functioning Workbench now! :-D

Last edited by hugo_nl; 07 September 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Solved.
Old 22 September 2019, 19:10   #8
shawnbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nl View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I seem to have the same problem.

I have installed the 3.X ROM and try to load AmigaOS 3.1.4 (booting from a CF card, using the HC508), but the Workbench stays empty.

I booted without a startup-sequence and discovered that a "workbench.library" file is present in the Workbench:/Libs/ directory, so I'm a bit confused why it does not work.

Any hints are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I figured it out. I was missing LoadModule. I downloaded that from aminet, placed it in the right directory, and have a functioning Workbench now! :-D
Hi, I'm having the exact same issue! How did you get the LoadModule onto the CF?

Thanks!