English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 September 2019, 20:44   #41
LanceT

Don't wish to defeat anything..

At Toni, this is what happens when I try to drag and drop these two files in to the CD & Hard drives window.
Because the zipped file has a file with the extension *.bin it is thinking that it's a Rom file.
Have noticed the same if a zipped file contain the extension *.rom within it, it will sometimes throw it to the Cartridge ROM File: location or the Main ROM File. (As a test I tried this on some mame game archives)

This problem doesn't bother me I am not likely to drop 30 files in the CD/HD spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LTX.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	64514  
Old 19 September 2019, 20:52   #42
LanceT

Also Toni, here is the hex / asc of the boot.bin file
not sure if it is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hex.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	64515  
Old 19 September 2019, 23:00   #43
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceT View Post
This problem doesn't bother me I am not likely to drop 30 files in the CD/HD spot.
Nobody is actually either, in normal Amiga use...

As mentioned already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I think you've already set the "sane" maximum Toni

@ransom1122; the reason why you want this is so that you can quickly copy files to multiple hard drives when creating self-booting ones for your project.

Ok, might be nice to have but... it's not really standard use of WinUAE; you only use it for the above, and I can't see anybody wanting to add this many .HDFs at once for constant / everyday use...

Surely 30 is enough? You do those, exit WinUAE and move onto the next 30... simple.

Personally, the maximum number of .HDFs that I've ever added for real use is probably 3.
It's just that for ransom1122 doing "14 x .HDFs" + "14 x .LHA archives" in one session, quitting afterwards, restarting emulation and then adding in the next batch for his project isn't good enough.

Clearly too much work, he wants more available so a reset / re-adding the next batch is out of the question

Last edited by DamienD; 19 September 2019 at 23:10.
Old 19 September 2019, 23:18   #44
LanceT

I am sorry, I was just trying to help, I will remove my comments from this thread. Thanks for pointing that out.

***** In response to comment #53 ******
@DamienD Thanks...
This thread will climb "bigly" because there are lots of files in WHDLoad set that wont drag and drop an example would be in the screenshot I took, out of the 19 files I drag and dropped only 8 took.

I myself would transfer files almost the same way as I have shown in this video. No need to reboot can add delete files (window side) while WinUAE is running (with just a refresh).
[ Show youtube player ]

LOL: Personally I would like to see 8-10 adf drives rather than 30 hd, would make WB installs a breeze. (I'm joking of course)

***** In response to comment #55 ******
If you had read post #41 and viewed the picture you would have seen that your file found it's way to the kickstart rom area and that is why it crash when you tried to start it. (In short: It had replaced the kickrom with the lha file)

***** In response to comment #58 ****** See "***** In response to comment #55 ******"
DONE:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19to8.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	765.2 KB
ID:	64537  

Last edited by LanceT; 22 September 2019 at 14:03. Reason: Added after POST #54 and #57
Old 19 September 2019, 23:34   #45
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I am sorry, I was just trying to help, I will remove my comments from this thread. Thanks for pointing that out.
No need to do that; so I've "undeleted" your posts

...I think people don't really understand the reasoning behind ransomm1122's request.

I do; as I know exactly why he wants this and wrote the instructions that he follows in order to create bare-bones / self-booting .HDFs for WHDLoad slaves / installs for his "Ultimate Amiga" project

...but as I've already mentioned to ransom1122; lets say the limit is now upped to "20 x .HDFs" and "20 x .LHA archives" as opposed to say adding "10 x .HDFs" and "10 x .LHA archives".

Ok, so now you need to quit / restart WinUAE once with the "10 x .HDFs" and "10 x .LHA archives" scenario, which takes another 5 seconds max; but you still have to spend the same amount of time re-adding the next batch of .HDFs and .LHAs archives as you would originally...

This whole thread is pointless and selfish, with absolutely no gain what-so-ever for people using the Amiga normally

Last edited by DamienD; 19 September 2019 at 23:54.
Old 19 September 2019, 23:53   #46
ransom1122

I do 13 hdfs and 13 LHAs. That's the most I can. I would do more if winuae allows it.

Question remains to Toni it's either a yes or no answer
Old 19 September 2019, 23:56   #47
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I do 13 hdfs and 13 LHAs. That's the most I can.
Final time I say this to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...but as I've already mentioned to ransom1122; lets say the limit is now upped to "20 x .HDFs" and "20 x .LHA archives" as opposed to say adding "10 x .HDFs" and "10 x .LHA archives".

Ok, so now you need to quit / restart WinUAE once with the "10 x .HDFs" and "10 x .LHA archives" scenario, which takes another 5 seconds max; but you still have to spend the same amount of time re-adding the next batch of .HDFs and .LHAs archives as you would originally...
5 seconds different between both scenarios i.e. one quit / restart... I know, way too much effort
Old 20 September 2019, 00:09   #48
ransom1122

This is about drag and drop not working properly now as well.
Old 20 September 2019, 00:12   #49
DamienD
Banned

Whatever

Let's be honest, that was really only secondary when Toni tried to give you a workaround. You weren't even aware that you could use this feature previously.

Also, so far it's only with that one archive; just add manually!!! End of story.

...and as LanceT investigated / explained:

Quote:
At Toni, this is what happens when I try to drag and drop these two files in to the CD & Hard drives window.
Because the zipped file has a file with the extension *.bin it is thinking that it's a Rom file.
Have noticed the same if a zipped file contain the extension *.rom within it, it will sometimes throw it to the Cartridge ROM File: location or the Main ROM File. (As a test I tried this on some mame game archives)
I'm not surprised, if an archive contains a .BIN or .ROM file.
Old 20 September 2019, 00:59   #50
ransom1122

The alternative drag and drop doesn't work. Then with its unreliability dumping 26 files, you have to go through one by one to see which files aren't attached due to drag and drop
Old 20 September 2019, 08:33   #51
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

As I said, works for me. Nothing will be happen without explaining exactly what don't work, which exact files (attached/uploaded) and config and log.
Old 21 September 2019, 01:08   #52
ransom1122

Start with JaguarXJ220_v1.6_Files_1200.lha not able to drag and drop..

As I progress I will let you know what else doesn't work when dragged and dropped.

Also found sometimes, sometimes when messing with drag and drop this was after approx thenth file being dragged and dropped, hdf would not add wether dragged or drop or manually added. Very strange.. it would allow to add but would not show up in the hdd tab list. Kind of like after you hit the dh29: position but at dh10 position.

As I said many strange things happen with drag and drop since I've been testing and never have I encountered problems like this.when not using drag and drop.

If your happy with drag and drop feature working, then we can call it a day I guess. If that's the case I'll be using the non drag and drop method and not using more then 28 entries in hdd tab.
Old 21 September 2019, 03:34   #53
ransom1122

looks like lha's marked with "files" cannot be drag and dropped.

Heres another example

SnowBros_v1.3_Files_2601.lha
Old 21 September 2019, 09:26   #54
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

SnowBros_v1.3_Files_2601.lha seems to work identically, dragged to WB vs dragged to GUI before starting the emulation.

Can you duplicate it with basic WB 3.1 without nothing updated? (Boot using WB 3.1 disk if you don't have HD installation)
Old 22 September 2019, 05:11   #55
ransom1122

SnowBros_v1.3_Files_2601.lha dragged to HDD GUI does not work before starting emulation or after.

Results in an invisible entry which doesn't exist.

Launching WB 3.01 from floppy after this then gives me a HALT11 error.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:50   #56
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"invisible entry"? Where? What? "Does not work"?

I won't reply anymore until all the required information is included. This is not getting anywhere without enough information. EDIT: and don't mix different problems in same post. Sometimes it seems to be about archives, sometimes HDFs and I have no idea if they even have anything in common..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 22 September 2019 at 12:03.
Old 22 September 2019, 12:12   #57
ransom1122

Invisible meaning after dragging the file to gui does nothing.

I tried my best to explain how dragging of lhas and hdfs doesn't work. Seems like I can't explain any further as I sound like I'm repeating myself.

If your happy with it working, then let's call it a day.
Old 22 September 2019, 13:35   #58
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You never mentioned if you dragged to GUI or WB window. You never mentioned any details. No one can see what you do, you need to explain it in detail, step by step. There are multiple ways to do the same thing.

Never say "it does not work". It tells absolutely nothing. Good example: "I dragged it to GUI, it appeared on GUI correctly but when I started emulation, it didn't appear on WB and C:Info listed it with status "no disk in drive". This is useful information.

C:Info status is very useful. Something appearing or not appearing on WB isn't that useful.

Or at least add screenshots if you aren't sure.