English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 April 2024, 16:20   #541
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I would say that Brick has made it very clear that he won't spend any more time on the project for the time being. Not sure what you try to achieve here.
People simply don't seem to respect the work of others after an initial cheer and then think they have the right to demand more.

If anyone wants more than this awesome port: play the arcade original or do a better port yourself!
Old 06 April 2024, 17:36   #542
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Then why do you keep quoting Brick?
Because he's the one with access to his sourcecode! If he wants to look into it, great! If not, thanks for a quick blast!
Old 06 April 2024, 19:41   #543
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Because he's the one with access to his sourcecode! If he wants to look into it, great! If not, thanks for a quick blast!
Well it is his source code since he made everything himself, except for the gfx.

That's up to him to release or not.

Personnally I think he should because there is many people there that could help his version being the definitive one because I think original Amiga gfx doesn't do justice to its port but I'm totally fine and understand if he doesn't want to.

So let's enjoy what we have.
Old 07 April 2024, 11:27   #544
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Well it is his source code since he made everything himself, except for the gfx.

That's up to him to release or not.

Personnally I think he should because there is many people there that could help his version being the definitive one because I think original Amiga gfx doesn't do justice to its port but I'm totally fine and understand if he doesn't want to.

So let's enjoy what we have.
OK, agreed to make the most if what we have but looking at the MegaCD version their is missing front flip jump animation on Enhanced and obviously the struggle to get up I previously mentioned! Damnd or Thrasher also jumps and laughs a lot more! Animations where people walk down the stairs at the end of the level and the screen shake adds a lot! Just saying, but 'Enhanced' is far better than vanilla Final Fight. Just think extra animations would be a good call now that the core game is a lot better.

...spinning weapons when they get knocked out of your hands were fun to!
Old 07 April 2024, 20:46   #545
Cris1997XX

Can you guys stop complaining and enjoy this port instead? We'll never have a perfect Amiga version at this point, just use a PiStorm to emulate the original on MAME or something

Last edited by Cris1997XX; 07 April 2024 at 20:52.
Old 07 April 2024, 21:19   #546
Konrad

Final Fight Enhanced is such a massive improvement over the original port and some people still aren't satisfied.
Play the arcade version via MAME if you want arcade perfect gameplay...
Old 08 April 2024, 11:08   #547
vulture

For the specs it's targeting, it's already very close to the best it can get. And it's a great conversion on its own regardless of how mediocre was the original US Gold one.
Old 08 April 2024, 20:55   #548
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
For the specs it's targeting, it's already very close to the best it can get. And it's a great conversion on its own regardless of how mediocre was the original US Gold one.

It's a shame that the source code for the previous AGA project was lost. The two projects could have merged and further 'icing on the cake' modifications made by the community!
Old 11 April 2024, 11:51   #549
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
Can you guys stop complaining and enjoy this port instead? We'll never have a perfect Amiga version at this point, just use a PiStorm to emulate the original on MAME or something
Run OpenBOR 68K.
Old 11 April 2024, 12:22   #550
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
It's a shame that the source code for the previous AGA project was lost. The two projects could have merged and further 'icing on the cake' modifications made by the community!
Wasn't the previous AGA project an AMOS or Blitz implementation though ?

I'm assuming this new one isn't ?
Old 11 April 2024, 16:04   #551
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Wasn't the previous AGA project an AMOS or Blitz implementation though ?

I'm assuming this new one isn't ?
Yes it was - Blitz and very impressive too!

I think the enhanced versions is amazing and a testament to brilliant coding. Could this have been done back in the day? Or do we know more now and have better tools and are just better at coding?
Old 11 April 2024, 22:14   #552
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Yes it was - Blitz and very impressive too!

I think the enhanced versions is amazing and a testament to brilliant coding. Could this have been done back in the day? Or do we know more now and have better tools and are just better at coding?
The guy that coded the original didn't get what made the game special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Run OpenBOR 68K.
If you are going to try BOR then try Street Fighter '89: The Final Fight! Simply the best updated version but WIP!

@Brick Nash

Got the Edi. E boss stuck off screen with the previous version in 2-player with Maki (buggy character in my experience) and Haggar. It had half the level glitching the Sodom ring fight and the left half still Edi.'s carpark! Crazy bugs!
Old 11 April 2024, 23:00   #553
pixie

Quote:
The guy that coded the original didn't get what made the game special.
That's a bit harsh, giving that it was an one man show
Old 12 April 2024, 00:08   #554
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
That's a bit harsh, giving that it was an one man show
No, it's the truth! Side scrolling beat 'em ups were not his jam and he didn't view Final Fight as anything special! You can't bottle lightning if you don't know what the lightning is!

Last edited by BigD; 12 April 2024 at 00:43.
Old 12 April 2024, 09:07   #555
sokolovic

Quote:
Could this have been done back in the day? Or do we know more now and have better tools and are just better at coding?
Can't see why it could'nt. US Gold could have hired a team of extremley dedicated (japanese ) programmers with a massive budget and all the originals assets as it was done for consoles home versions.
Now it is easier for a one man job with no time constraint of course.
Old 12 April 2024, 12:34   #556
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Could this have been done back in the day?
That's hard question.
2MB Chip, back in the day, before AGA was released, wasn't really that common for configs. So I assume whoever is paying for the port, would request at least 1MB as minimum config (majority Amiga's 500), and that would make this port significantly harder.
Even with 2MB Chip, Brick Nash was doing this port in 3 years.

Quote:
Or do we know more now and have better tools and are just better at coding?
Richard Aplin who did original conversion had only 6 months to get the job done, and he didn't had any source files, anything that would make him life easier.
By his confession, he wasn't much into Final Fight, so that could explain that gameplay is so different from the original (gameplay is more of a Double Dragon style (which is no surprise, because he did great port of that on the Amiga)).

However, technologically speaking, he did a true miracle in coding, because his version could work on EVEN unexpanded A500's with only 512kb Chip... and he had scrolling.. big characters.. enemies... and all that in 6 months.

From what I understand, Brick Nash actually had some help from Aplin himself, in some advice on how to do this port.
Old 17 April 2024, 14:52   #557
PatmanQC

From what I understand, Mr. ApLIN had no desire or love for the game of final fight. He felt it was boring and uninspired so he really didn't care about , in my opinion , what made the game so fun Which was the gameplay. He felt that as long as it looked similar to the arcade game with large sprites and it moved at a decent rate than that was all that was required.

I know the guy can code 100 times Better than I can but if you don't have respect for the original arcade title But come on….

Last edited by PatmanQC; 17 April 2024 at 15:27.
Old 17 April 2024, 14:59   #558
Dunny

I remember my mates raving about FF back in the day but when I saw it all it was was a colourful version of target:renegade with big graphics.

But then I've never been a fan of beat 'em ups
Old 17 April 2024, 15:41   #559
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatmanQC View Post
From what I understand, Mr. ApLIN had no desire or love for the game of final fight. He felt it was boring and uninspired so he really didn't care about , in my opinion , what made the game so fun Which was the gameplay. He felt that as long as it looked similar to the arcade game with large sprites and it moved at a decent rate than that was all that was required.

I know the guy can code 100 times Better than I can but if you don't have respect for the original arcade title But come on….
Still...

Having only 6 month to finish the job, and he was alone to do everything (which is crazy), even if he cared, it's a big question if he would release anything better.
Just a reminder that our friend Brick Nash took 3 years to finish it.
Yes, it wasn't his full time job, but I assume these days tools are a lot easier in managing graphics for example, then back then, or finding an answer to coding questions... and this version requires minimum 2MB Chip (and Aplin's port requires only 512kb).
Old 17 April 2024, 18:48   #560
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Still...

Having only 6 month to finish the job, and he was alone to do everything (which is crazy), even if he cared, it's a big question if he would release anything better.
Just a reminder that our friend Brick Nash took 3 years to finish it.
Yes, it wasn't his full time job, but I assume these days tools are a lot easier in managing graphics for example, then back then, or finding an answer to coding questions... and this version requires minimum 2MB Chip (and Aplin's port requires only 512kb).

The SNES version wasn't perfect with 1-player only but it was good enough to sell hardware.The Amiga version was an embarrassment and US Gold should have given Aplin more time and cared about QA!

For modern Final Fight fun try Street Fighter '89: The Final Fight on OpenBOR!