English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 08 January 2013, 21:30   #41
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
What version of Classic Workbench are you trying to run?

You should be using the GAAE version and even then I would disable as much of the extra as you can such as the doc bar and put away the extra Icons.

I have an 1mb A600 here with an internal 512mb SSD card, after booting a basic install of Workbench 2.1 there is only 800k Ram left after booting, it drops to 650k as soon as you open a window!

Certainly in the long term extra memory will be the way forward, I'd also suggest using an internal CF card as mounting compact flash drivers also uses memory (about 200k IIRC) so it's better for you even now to be booting with an internal drive.

I know you only have 37.299 Rom so that would need an upgrade too as you already know.
Old 08 January 2013, 21:33   #42
demolition
Unregistered User

Isn't 37.299 working if you just keep the first partition smaller than 40 MB?
Old 08 January 2013, 21:36   #43
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Isn't 37.299 working if you just keep the first partition smaller than 40 MB?
I didn't think it had IDE support at all, but I could be wrong!

The other workaround though could be to load the scsi.device from floppy disk, I assume that's possible?
Old 08 January 2013, 21:46   #44
demolition
Unregistered User

Yeah, you're right, 37.299 doesn't boot on IDE at all. 37.300 is the one which only supports 40MB on the first partition.

It should be possible to load scsi.device from a floppy and continue booting from the HDD.
Old 08 January 2013, 21:59   #45
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Yeah, you're right, 37.299 doesn't boot on IDE at all. 37.300 is the one which only supports 40MB on the first partition.

It should be possible to load scsi.device from a floppy and continue booting from the HDD.
This might be a better option for the OP as he will save the memory used up mounting the Compact Flash Device and FAT drivers.

He can always mount them later if he wants to transfer files.

By the way I was able to use larger partitions (200mb for SYS) with my A600 and 37.300

I found it a bit flakey with 4gb CF's but my 2gb ones work fine
Old 09 January 2013, 00:53   #46
foob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
What version of Classic Workbench are you trying to run?

You should be using the GAAE version and even then I would disable as much of the extra as you can such as the doc bar and put away the extra Icons.

I have an 1mb A600 here with an internal 512mb SSD card, after booting a basic install of Workbench 2.1 there is only 800k Ram left after booting, it drops to 650k as soon as you open a window!

Certainly in the long term extra memory will be the way forward, I'd also suggest using an internal CF card as mounting compact flash drivers also uses memory (about 200k IIRC) so it's better for you even now to be booting with an internal drive.

I know you only have 37.299 Rom so that would need an upgrade too as you already know.
I am trying to run the GAAE version, but i don't have the ability to write .adfs because i have no memory when loading WB from the PCMCIA CF, which in turn does not let me create the bootfloppy required.

Also, EasyADF simply doesnt work when booting WB from floppy.
Old 09 January 2013, 01:07   #47
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I have a 1mb A600 here, I'm going to load up GAAE to a CF card and install it in the A600 and try to write some ADF's with TSGui (which is built into CWB) I also own EasyADF so can try that too.

CWB also has the CF drivers so really I think the solution for you might be to upgrade the Rom & mount a CF on the internal IDE. You can still use your PCMCIA for file tranfers but you might have to dismount it to be able to write the ADF's due to lack of Memory.

I'll let you know if I have enough Ram to complete the task and report back

Steve.
Old 09 January 2013, 01:17   #48
foob

just for the record, this is where it freezes when booting from the easyADF floppy.

http://i.imgur.com/wM0ak.jpg

im going to give it half an hour just to see if it behaves the same way as botting from CF but im up to 20 minutes at the minute and im not holding up hope. The system itself is responsive toa right click and will give me a german error message if i remove the CF at all.

edit;- just additional info, if i boot into workbench from floppy and then try to launch easyadf from floppy within workbench, i get an error saying "TransADF cannot be found at: SYS:C/TRANSADF"

Last edited by foob; 09 January 2013 at 01:33.
Old 09 January 2013, 01:51   #49
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Okies, when I first booted GAAE in it's standard form it was using 600k of the A600's 1mb

So once you mount the CF device and load EasyADF it's going to crap out.

I was able to easily save 200k by disabling some of the unnecessary components (this can be done from the CWB menu's) so I now have 600k free after loading, that was plenty for me to load up TSGui and write an ADF

There would still be enough free Ram to mount the CF card and transfer files, maybe even write some Disks.

So the first thing you need to do is disable some of the components on CWB, you can do this from WinUAE, you may just be able to save enough Ram to get your current method working.

I do think, the best thing would be to go with an internal CF HDD.

EasyADF needs over 500k just to load up, the only way I could write an ADF with EasyADF was to boot with minimal startup to CLI and launch from there.

So it can be done with a 1mb Amiga (Just about!)
Old 09 January 2013, 02:03   #50
foob

While i appreciate the help, i fear we may have jumped the gun a little here.

One of the issues i am facing is that the GAAE version of CWB is run from an .hdf file. As far as i'm aware, this requires a different kind of bootdisk from the one Akira gave me (which boots from normal WB installed via winUAE straight to the CF, no .hdf files required).

Without a way to write .adf files, i cannot create the initial boot floppy to load CWB from PCMCIA in the first place, let alone get in and start tinkering. This is the reason i am trying to identify what reason this EasyADF software won't work when booting from floppy, because according to amigakit, it supposed to support this method fine. I don't think theres anything wrong with the CF card i have seeing as it seems to boot with other methods, and quite frankly i feel amigakit have been less than adequate with thier support as the only interaction i've managed to get from them was a posting on here telling me they sell compatible CF cards.
Old 09 January 2013, 02:14   #51
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

There just isn't enough Ram to boot into Workbench and load EasyADF, that's why you're getting stuck at that point, it cannot load any further.

The only way I was able to load EasyADF and write a Floppy was booting to CLI and launching it that way.

Once you've loaded PCMCIA drivers as well there just isn't enough Ram.

I took a Video to demonstate, I can You Tube it if you like.

Give up with EasyADF, disable as much as you can in CWB GAAE and use TSGui to write your ADF's

Or you need to buy more Ram...
Old 09 January 2013, 02:24   #52
foob

But how can I boot into cwb if I cannot write its boot floppy?
Old 09 January 2013, 02:35   #53
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foob View Post
But how can I boot into cwb if I cannot write its boot floppy?
I thought you had a boot floppy already that mounts the CF card in the PCMCIA slot and loads workbench from there?

I think the reason it is taking so long to load is A) PCMCIA is very slow and B) you're running low on Ram.

If you load up your Classic Workbench install in WinUAE, disable the extra components such as the dock bar this will save you some valuable memory:

Right Click on the Workbench Bar then Choose 'Workbench>Settings'

A menu will pop up, select 'components'

Click on each of them one at a time and disable them all except the two that relate to Icons.

Next Put Away all of the Icons on the Workbench except the actual Disk Partitions, Ram Icons and CLI/Run Icons.

Now try again with the CF in the A600, you might be surprised with that extra Memory you save you might A) Boot a lot faster and B) have enough free Ram to load TSGui (System>Programs)

TSGui like EasyADF can write ADF's back to Floppy Disk
Old 09 January 2013, 03:04   #54
foob

Unfortunately, that is currently not what I have.

At the moment, all I have is a standard workbench add set(2.05). This is installed straight to directories on the CF and does NOT use an hdf file. Akita provided me a boot disk to use for this.

I have found cwb download, but that IS and hdf file, and as far as I can gather, I cannot use Akiras boot disk to boot that. I could be wrong, but I guess I'd have to wait for Akira to confirm.

If there's a way to install the correct version of cwb to the cf without using the hdf file I can try that, but it will have to wait till tomorrow as its 2am here.
Old 09 January 2013, 03:06   #55
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi foob,

I uploaded the short Video I took, I edited out the ADF writing as it takes quite a while.

You can see that when I try to run EasyADF there just isn't enough Ram to write the ADF.

It may be possible for me to free up a little more Ram but it's not necessary as you can see later in the Video I can write and ADF with TSGui and also when booting from CLI there is enough Ram to write the ADF with EasyADF.

The real solution to your problem is to upgrade the Rom and fit a CF HDD inside on the IDE, I know you wanted to avoid that but it's really the best option for you.

If you also upgrade your Trapdoor Ram or get another form of Ram Expansion you will even be able to explore WHDLoad, trust me once you use WHDLoad you wont want to go back to Floppy Disks!

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way.

[ Show youtube player ]

Steve.
Old 09 January 2013, 06:21   #56
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
If there's a way to install the correct version of cwb to the cf without using the hdf file
You could always mount the hdf and also your cf card in winuae , then copy the contents of the hdf wb directly to your cf card with dopus.
Old 09 January 2013, 12:45   #57
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@foob I'd be happy to setup a CF for you to use internally, I can supply (at cost inc the IDE adapter) or you can send me yours. If you send the CF filled with the ADF's you want I will save them before I wipe the CF and put them back on after installing Workbench.

You can get the 37.300 Rom on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/amiga-600-...item484e629cbf

Or even a 3.1Rom for not much more: (better for larger CF's like 4gb but might be less compatible with Games)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-600-...item4ac03629af

The latter looks like a burned EEPROM though, it's not a problem, it's just not 100% legitimate (Unless this seller is licensed by the Copyright holder but I doubt it!)

Trust me, you'll enjoy your A600 a lot more with internal storage and you can then stop pulling your hair out
Old 09 January 2013, 13:06   #58
foob

i will have to think about this stuff and get back to you. The thing with opening my amiga is that once i do it, i only want to do it once. That means if im putting in a CF, then ill put in a kickstart and a mem expansion. I simply don't have the money to burn on the mem expansions alone without considering a new KS/CF IDE kit. It's simply not possible right now.
Old 09 January 2013, 13:12   #59
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
i will have to think about this stuff and get back to you. The thing with opening my amiga is that once i do it, i only want to do it once. That means if im putting in a CF, then ill put in a kickstart and a mem expansion. I simply don't have the money to burn on the mem expansions alone without considering a new KS/CF IDE kit. It's simply not possible right now.
I can understand that.

I suggest in the short term you should learn to install Classic Workbench and get it working within WinUAE, once you master that you should find the procedure of setting up the real Amiga a lot easier.

It would be a good idea to learn what these boot Disks you have been sent do and why, reading up on the original thread's linked earlier in your posts will help with this.

I think what's happened here is you have been given a bunch of tools you don't understand how to use and now it's just causing you more confusion.

I might have a go at creating my own boot disk that loads to CLI with compact flash drivers mounted with EasyADF ready to run. If I can get that working I'll make you a copy and send it your way.

It'll take me a little while to research the needed files and put something together though.

I think that could get you out of trouble for now
Old 09 January 2013, 14:58   #60
foob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
You could always mount the hdf and also your cf card in winuae , then copy the contents of the hdf wb directly to your cf card with dopus.
i'm going to try this as a last-ditch effort. how might one do this? after a bit of googling i see Directory Opus is both an old amiga prog and an updated win version. which do you mean me to use?