English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 May 2018, 05:06   #1
Pyromania

Kim Dot Com Documentary Shows an Amiga 500

I was watching the Kim Dot Com Documentary today on Amazon Prime Video and guess what I spotted, an Amiga 500! It was his first computer.

https://www.amazon.com/Kim-Dotcom-Ca...ght+in+the+web

It's an interesting documentary to watch and now it's even better with an Amiga in it. I have watched the Kim Dot Com story develop over the years but didn't know he was a fellow Amiga user until today. Screenshot is taken directly from from the documentary approximately sixteen minutes in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KimDotComDocAmiga500.png
Views:	261
Size:	710.1 KB
ID:	58208  

Last edited by Pyromania; 14 May 2018 at 05:08. Reason: Update
Old 14 May 2018, 06:35   #2
-TCB!-

This is likely to trigger a flurry of responses. Yes, he was a member of the amiga scene, though not a very much respected/liked one. He went under the handle Kimble / Toyax / Bitbug for different purposes -- ran a pretty sizeable BBS in Germany and was founder/leader of Romkids (a console group -- back then it was relatively easy to get a supplier in HK or JP and you could churn out releases easily)

He became famous/notorious for going on TV and exposing how to Bluebox in Germany; some people blamed him for the demise of BB in Germany. His 2nd reach for stardom was when he got busted for insider trading charges for letsbuyittogether.com

The rest is +/- in the open: the participation in gumball races / lavish life in Hong Kong and finally his move to NZ.
Old 14 May 2018, 07:12   #3
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I have watched the Kim Dot Com story develop over the years but didn't know he was a fellow Amiga user until today. Screenshot is taken directly from from the documentary approximately sixteen minutes in.
You have never visited Wikipedia page of him? And especially seen this picture of him with A4000.

But yea, he's probably one of the most hated persons in the BBS scene because of those reveals in public.

Last edited by jPV; 14 May 2018 at 07:18.
Old 14 May 2018, 13:55   #4
Pyromania

@jPV

I did a search and found no occurrence of the word Amiga on his Wikipedia page.