English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 06 March 2018, 14:42   #1
handsfelloff

16GB CF IDE won't boot / find 500MB ClassicWB LITE partition (A1200 2B)

Hey Guys,

A familiar tale of woe...I am having some issues getting the 16GB CF IDE to boot with ClassicWB LITE as a master IDE drive on an A1200 (stock rev. 2B machine with ROM 3.0). In a nutshell after ~30 secs the purple insert floppy screen appears (very little activity on the CF led... a blip or two).

I just bought the CF from amigastore.eu (which I imagine would be compatible)
I don't know the brand of CF since Amigastore applied their own label that reassuringly states 'Compatible with Amiga computers'
http://amigastore.eu/en/132-cf-hard-disk-kit-25.html

I carefully followed this guide to prepare the disk
https://16bitdust.wordpress.com/2015...nuae-and-pfs3/
Disk are partitioned and formatted two partitions to PFS3 with MaxTransfer value to 0x1fe00

500MB partition for ClassicWB LITE DH0 has boot ticked
~15GB DH1: large store for stuff

scsi.device from MyFiles/LargeHD/128GB Support/SCSI_IDE_43_24/Patched/A1200IDE.scsi.device

I also read this helpful post: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32256

Checked my CF partitions with Check4GB tool: 500MB / 15GB reported

Then in Dopus I simply transferred the freshly installed ClassicWB LITE system over to the DH0: boot partition. Tested in WinUAE it boots happily.

However, back on the A1200 2B (with master selected on the jumper) it sits on a black screen for about 30 secs (very little activity on the HDD light / blue flashcard activity LED.....just a blip or two) then eventually it shows the kickstart 3.0 insert disk screen.

IDE connector is orientated red stripe by pin 1, seated properly and all pins should be connected.

I tried soft booting Ctrl+A+A nothing different.
I also checked the early startup menu and found

DF0: and CC0:

So appears not to see the CF 500MB DH0 IDE partition...?

I tests the CF adapter power pin a nice steady 5V there.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next. I must have missed something vital or subtle somewhere! So close but so far!

Advice would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Wilson

Last edited by handsfelloff; 06 March 2018 at 15:06.
Old 06 March 2018, 16:36   #2
Daedalus

Hmmm, putting the card back in WinUAE, does it boot again? Have You can set up WinUAE to emulate the A1200 IDE port instead of the generic UAE driver, which doesn't have the same quirks as the A1200 one and so that could be the difference. Also, double-check that the PFS3 filesystem is installed in the RDB, and that the identifier IDs match exactly between the two, because it's possible that HDToolbox has assigned it a different ID, meaning that the partition can't be found when trying to boot from it alone.
Old 06 March 2018, 16:51   #3
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

This is probably a stupid question but have you made sure the DH0: is set to bootable in partition?

Also upgrading to 3.1 ROM's would be a good move.
Old 06 March 2018, 18:16   #4
handsfelloff

Many thanks for the responses.

Yes I am able to boot in winUAE with emulation parameters set to stock A1200. Also the IDE driver set to Amiga type.

To hopefully answer your questions better than I can explain please see the following images of WinUAE drive setup and HDToolBox (used as in the guide above to make the partitions):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bdftcfgiw...4Vn2FDjka?dl=0

WinUAE_CF_Drive.jpeg
HDToolBox_Drive_Type.jpeg
HDToolBox_Partition_DH0.jpeg
HDToolBox_Partition_Filesys_DH0.jpeg
HDToolBox_Partition_DH1.jpeg
HDToolBox_Partition_Filesys_DH1.jpeg

Also info from HDInstTools:
HDInstTools_Setup_Drive.jpeg
HDInstTools_Partition_DH0.jpeg
HDInstTools_Partition_DH1.jpeg

Please let me know if I have missed anything.

Wilson

Last edited by handsfelloff; 06 March 2018 at 18:31.
Old 06 March 2018, 18:24   #5
Akira

I would suspect the scsi.device you are using, have you tried other versions? If you can't see the partition on boot, I would suspect it.
But it's weird because at the very least the first partition should show up.
Old 06 March 2018, 18:35   #6
handsfelloff

Hey Akira

Yeah thats what I thought at least I should see the 500MB Workbench partition.

I have tried scsi.device version 44.20 (as recommended in the guide i followed) and also
this MyFiles/LargeHD/128GB Support/SCSI_IDE_43_24/Patched/A1200IDE.scsi.device

Same behaviour with both (works in WinUAE but not picking up the boot partition on the A1200 during start up sequence)
Old 06 March 2018, 18:53   #7
-Acid-

3.0 roms are all you need don't listen to anyone saying 3.1 is needed, if the card is set up correctly it will boot from the 500mb partition as long as it's the first partition (ie it's within the first 4gb of the card). When you put it in your A1200... do any of the partitions show up in the early startup menu? If they are make sure you have actually put pfs3aio into the RDB.... just the other day I partitioned a card and set the custom file system etc and it worked in WinUAE, but I forgot to add the new file system in HDToolBox and when I put it in the Amiga nothing happened (even though I could see the partitions in the early boot menu).

Outside chance... is loadmodule attempting to load the A4000 IDE scsi.device file instead of the A1200 version - unknown to you? if it is it you will see the symptoms you describe as it's machine specific.
Old 06 March 2018, 19:19   #8
handsfelloff

Thanks Acid,

I only get DF0: and CC0: so none of the CF partitions are present.

> pfs3aio into the RDB
Hopefully I have got this right...I added a newcustom Filesystem using pfs3_aio-handler
https://16bitdust.files.wordpress.co...ng?w=604&h=429

Entered DosType for PFS3 0x50465303
https://16bitdust.files.wordpress.co...ng?w=604&h=429

and selected PFS\03 in the system characteristics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bdftcfgiw...4Vn2FDjka?dl=0
HDToolBox_Partition_Filesys_DH0.jpeg
HDToolBox_Partition_Filesys_DH1.jpeg

I copied into DH0: DEVS folder MyFiles/LargeHD/128GB Support/SCSI_IDE_43_24/Patched/A1200IDE.scsi.device (renamed to scsi.device)

I did not copy loadmodule to the DH0: partition nor edit startup-sequence file to include loadmodule. I understood that ClassicWB LITE simply having the correct scsi.device in the DH0:/DEVS folder was sufficient?

Thanks,

Wilson

Last edited by handsfelloff; 06 March 2018 at 20:19.
Old 06 March 2018, 19:36   #9
Akira

Oh then ,you are maybe not loading the device. I don't know about ClassicWB, I wouldn't be sure it would automatically load the device.
Make sure that you are loading it as the first thing in your startup-sequence. "loadmodule devs:scsi.device" should be the first line.

Otherwise: have you tried any other CF card and/or IDE adapter? It could just be an incompatibility.
Old 06 March 2018, 20:05   #10
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
3.0 roms are all you need don't listen to anyone saying 3.1 is needed, if the card is set up correctly it will boot from the 500mb partition as long as it's the first partition (ie it's within the first 4gb of the card)
You are correct, but I only mentioned it because I noticed he was attempting to go beyond the 4GB barrier and large disk support, scsi.device 44 requires 3.1 ROM's.

IMHO, I have always found 3.1 ROM's to be easier when setting up large HDD units.

Something else you could try, connect the drive up place a workbench disk in the floppy drive. When it has loaded open HDToolBox and see if it detects your drive and partitions. This should rule out hardware conflict.
Old 06 March 2018, 20:25   #11
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
scsi.device 44 requires 3.1 ROM's.
You can load any version you want on any 3.x ROM, you don't need 3.1 to run 44 or any other.
What doesn't run on 3.1 is LoadV43Module, but LoadModule runs anywhere: http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/LoadModule
Source: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/4gb_faq.html
Old 06 March 2018, 20:36   #12
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Is this really true Akira? I didn't know that! I have set-up loads of Large Hard drives too. CF and motor and always thought that 3.1 was needed, when going beyond the 4GB barrier, specially when using large disk support.

I must admit, I never really attempted to try fully to set-up a large HD using only 3.0 ROM's. I may just attempt to do this now as a matter of interest.

Although, If he plans to go beyond OS3.1, he would most definitely have to upgrade to 3.1 ROM's.

Last edited by MigaTech; 06 March 2018 at 21:08.
Old 06 March 2018, 21:14   #13
Akira

My A1200 still has 3.0 ROMs. I load the modules I need and that's it. No need to upgrade.
Also you can softkick a 3.1 ROM if needs be.
Old 06 March 2018, 22:46   #14
handsfelloff

> place a workbench disk in the floppy drive

Unfortunately I don't have WB 3.1 on floppy...I should get it. Indeed it would be good to confirm if we have anything...

The CF card itself is brand new from amigastore.eu and they state it is compatible with amigas. It is targeted specifically for A600 / A1200. The adapter has a QC passed label and I inspected it for issues and it looks clean...(albeit cheaply put together)

Checking out this guide re. ClassicWB and scsi.device http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tutorials.htm

^ Do you think that I need to do any more than copy the correct scsi.device to DEVS?
In WinUAE on boot it detects the large partition... Presently the A1200 seems not to see either or any partition gah its a jungle right now!
I have the A1200 motherboard looks clean no signs of cap leaks etc. Although a recap is on my todo I want to get this sorted before!
Old 06 March 2018, 22:58   #15
Akira

You should at the very least, as I said, make sure the first line on your s:startup-sequence file is "loadmodule devs:scsi.device" or something.

You can also do what the tutorial shows and "version" it from shell to see if it is loaded.
I feel like your problem is scsi.device and relying too much in that ClassicWB has done everything right. Personally I don't trust such installations, I make my own WB setups.

Last edited by Akira; 06 March 2018 at 23:06.
Old 06 March 2018, 23:05   #16
handsfelloff

Thanks Akira,

Yep I'll try that now and report back.
Old 06 March 2018, 23:37   #17
-Acid-

Try changing the mask to 0xfffffffc (7 f's) on both partitions. Also remember to either use HDInstTools or HDToolBox, one or the other do not mix their use as they do not play nicely together.
Old 06 March 2018, 23:59   #18
handsfelloff

Thanks Acid I will try that next.

Hey Akira same situation with the startup-sequence. loadmodule scsi.device. Note in WinUAE it show the correct version so its working once it it loaded. I think we are not even getting to the stage where anything is being loaded from disk. So I see no activity on the disk to indicate. Something about the partition A1200 ROM boot is not happy about.

Next job diskpart blank then repartition same sizes using HDInstTools (for a change) and setting the mask to 0xfffffffc. Am i ok to use PFS3?
Old 07 March 2018, 00:27   #19
Akira

Yeah evidently your Amiga is not recognizing the partition. I would not entirely discard an incompatibility, regardless of what you have been told by whoever sold you the card.

It'd be good if you had another CF of a different size and tested what's up.
Old 07 March 2018, 12:26   #20
handsfelloff

I'll get the 3.1 Kickstart ROMS and WorkBench 3.1 Floppies from AmigaKit. I can rule out hardware conflict. I can't rule out incompatibility with the CF of course. I am emailing amigastore.eu to enquire about testing on A1200 2B. I may have to buy a spare CF adapter and card...although I would want to be very certain that is verified working... verified by users as reliable. There is AmigaKit who are in the UK...(this is a smaller @ 4GB) ...
http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/...roducts_id=883

The electric yellows got me by the brain banana