English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 June 2016, 14:41   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I HATE using a Emulator..Are you with ME...

I hate using one,I guess cos I love the hardware,I love what Toni has done with it,it's amazing but for me the hardware will ways be first,I will use a emulator for copying large amount of files over to my HD or CF thats all,tryed use Amiga CD32 emulator the other day,but it was not the same so started use my Amiga CD32 hardware..what you think...Are you with ME..

The only emulator I use most of the time is the one on my A1200 for playing CD32 games..love playing the cd200 cd on it,love the animations on it and the music,I just watch it sometime,I know I am a nerd but aren't we all..
Old 02 June 2016, 14:51   #2
DamienD
Banned

Definitely not with you on this one...

Don't get me wrong real hardware is great but expensive / takes up space etc...

I love sooo many emulators as it gives me the chance to relive my youth. Take MAME for example; there's no way I could acquire all the old arcade machines that I love.

Re: WinUAE, you have the ability to have all Amiga makes / models at the touch of your hands

Plus; I can connect my laptop up to my 50" OMLED TV via HDMI and play from the comforts of my lounge (with wireless Xbox One crontrollers or a HotRodSE for arcading).
Old 02 June 2016, 15:04   #3
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Well I have 3 Amiga's on my desktop and use all of them,thats why I don't use a emulator alot,I do like MAME,I used in 3D Arcade.I like real hardware cos it's the feel of the keys under your fingers and the feel of the real controller in your hands.and I like fixing them if something need fixing,like I had to yesterday,had to fix the right channel of my audio of my A600 now its working fine..
Old 02 June 2016, 15:10   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I have a CDTV, I play some games on it, but I mostly use WinUAE.
Besides hardware for OS4.1 and PPC 060 are for rich people (definitely not me )
Old 02 June 2016, 15:38   #5
Cherno

Being able to use savestates is what I like most about emulators in general. Makes some of the harder games from back in the day much easier *cough* Beast 2 *cough*
Old 02 June 2016, 15:39   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
Being able to use savestates is what I like most about emulators in general. Makes some of the harder games from back in the day much easier *cough* Beast 2 *cough*
"Ten Pints" for Roger!
Old 02 June 2016, 15:42   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I can not say I hate emulator. I only prefer real HW. There are cases, where emulation is more commfortable (preparing a new CF card) or the only possible (grabbing screenshots).

But because a lot of work with Amiga games database for Lemon, I use 90 percent WinUAE and 10 percent my real A1200 these days.
Old 02 June 2016, 16:07   #8
Jope
-

I don't mind emulators. Once I can get a setup that does 50fps smooth scrolling on my laptop, then I don't see much need for a real amiga any more. :-)
Old 02 June 2016, 17:21   #9
Jackoland

I too prefer the real hardware, but I am also lacking of space. My better half wouldn't like the amigas set up. But I do get them out to play on them and in between use an emulator. I am currently building a mame powered Bartop arcade machine. I will be playing all the old classic using arcade controls.

Cheers rich
Old 02 June 2016, 17:36   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackoland View Post
I am currently building a mame powered Bartop arcade machine. I will be playing all the old classic using arcade controls.
Awesome

...always wanted to build my own but am rubbish at that type of stuff

As mentioned in my post above I use a HotRodSE for MAME:

Old 02 June 2016, 17:55   #11
DamienD
Banned

Sorry for the off topic posts but this is pretty cool:

http://thechive.com/2015/08/22/how-t...rel-22-photos/
Old 02 June 2016, 18:37   #12
pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I hate using one,I guess cos I love the hardware [...] Are you with ME..
Definitely with you. If you're a casual nostalgia gamer, or think that the Amiga is ugly and takes a lot of room, fine, use your emulator with savestates on your shiny new TV. Heck, why not even replace all the hardware with an FPGA and pretend it's the real thing.

But nothing beats using the real hardware, when coding or playing. I'm just much happier when watching the real code run, on the real computer, on a real monitor.

Old 02 June 2016, 18:51   #13
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Maybe hate was the wrong word to use,I like WinUAE,I am using it right now with OS4.1 in OWB to type this message.I even use a old keyboard to make it feel the same,it a old chery keyboard with a 5 pin din on the end,and its small er then the A600 keyboard but the same layout..
Old 02 June 2016, 19:38   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

With DoubleD on this one - without emulators, no way I would have time to setup all systems I own to play, not to mention all the ones I don't have.

All that power in RaspberryPi...
Old 03 June 2016, 00:27   #15
DisposableHero

In an ideal world, I'd use the real thing, but I simply don't have the space in my flat for either of my old Amigas, let alone any serious amount of games (and this is assuming they still work). Having every configuration there at your fingertips is neat - I've even whiled away time deliberately selecting games with incompatible settings and watching them crash. And the faster loading and savestates are a boon. That said, I do keep meaning next time I'm at my mum's to get the Amigas out for a quick blast (let's see if those capacitors have survived).
Old 03 June 2016, 01:42   #16
amiman99

I too prefer the real thing, I have A1200 sitting on my desk next to HP i7 PC hooked up to the same monitor.
I'm OK with emulator, I think it's fine if you don't have the access to the real thing.
I'm pretty lucky to have almost all Amiga models for very reasonable price acquired for the last 20 some years.
Old 03 June 2016, 02:32   #17
UberFreak

Only real HW for me, on all the systems I use.
Tried emulation a few times, felt just like using a PC, the "feeling" wasn't there at all.
Old 03 June 2016, 10:15   #18
Cobe

Yeah Hate is too strong word cause emulators are great for testing and preparing things for use on a real HW and just that and nothing more for me. They are not reviving any nostalgia to me and I really can not play games on them. I'm bit hard on that thing I also must play them on CRT and see them shine and glow like they are meant to.
I could start a thread "I HATE using LCD... are you with ME..."
Old 03 June 2016, 10:21   #19
Locutus

Since i don't get smooth scrolling with the Indivision MK2 in my 4000 anymore, i suppose emulation isn't so bad ;-)
Old 03 June 2016, 10:46   #20
phx
Natteravn

Emulators like UAE are an extremeley useful tool for debugging low level software on all sorts of Amiga configurations. It's great that we have this possibility now, otherwise most of my games wouldn't be finished yet.

Otherwise I tend to agree with the original poster. There would be no reason for me to develop any software, when only running it on an emulator. It's the real hardware which motivates me and which I want to use, like I did for the last 30 years.