English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 19 October 2016, 00:00   #1
cla
dev

Send a message via ICQ to cla
Amiga Time Zone Database 5.0

The tz database, also called tzdata, the zoneinfo database or IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) time zone database, is a collaborative compilation of information about the world's time zones, primarily intended for use with computer programs and operating systems. It is sometimes called the Olson database, referring to the founding contributor, Arthur David Olson. Paul Eggert is currently its editor and maintainer.

AmigaOS now has its own version with full support for all time zones. So far only Classic Amiga OS is supported but support for at least AROS is planned. AmigaOS 4 might already have support for this database. I haven't been able to find any information about it online. Read more about the database at Wikipedia or IANA. The primary usage is to keep your Amiga clock synced regardless of changes in summer and winter time. Other application might also benefit from the database, f.x. network time synchronization software. The software also include small tools, one of them being able to show the time in other parts of the world.

The Amiga Time Zone Database is steadily hardening. Hopefully version 5 can be promoted to stable. All code and data are open sourced. To get the most out of The Time Zone Database a RTC module is required. Are you a developer or maybe just a curious Amiga user, then you can download The Amiga Time Zone Database from aminet.
Old 19 October 2016, 00:07   #2
apex

Thank you very much!
Old 23 December 2017, 19:56   #3
cla
dev

Send a message via ICQ to cla
New Development package uploaded to aminet:
http://aminet.net/util/time/tzdev.lha

There is currently an error on aminet stating the package is a zip package. This is not true. It is a lha package.

The package is synced with TZ 2016i. TZ 2017 packages contains a significant amount of changes which was not so easy to merge.

As a small experiment the library try patch the GMT variable from the locale.library. It not stable though and the package should be considered a true developent package.
Old 22 January 2020, 17:10   #4
B2k_ad

Hi

i am searching to ge around my broken RTC Clock on my A4000.
It didn't die because of a leaky battery but of someone who tryed to fit a button cell on the board, but instead killed the RTC chip.

Since the Board is fine with absolutely no leakage on it, it can stay that way with out further damage.
However i want to ask if i can deploy your program to get the time somehow over a network solution and set the system time with it?
Old 22 January 2020, 19:41   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

That's what I do. My A4000 gets the time on each boot from the network. I forget what program I use. I'm sure there are many on Aminet.