English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 September 2012, 05:05   #1
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Do people still buy amigas?

Ae people still that excited they still buy Amiga hardware now days? Or do they just rely on emulation like Cloanto software to the same job? Given PC is up to speed.

Given that Amiga hardware is as rare as 'hens teeth'' in 2012 what happens when that 1084s CRT monitor breaks and you need a techie to fix?

Or don't people worry to much about that anymore,, more if a "through away" type of issue.....

Out with the old crt, in with the replacement.
Old 26 September 2012, 05:32   #2
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

I've never actually run Amiga emulation other than just to say that I could. I have, however, owned two 500s, a 2000, a 3000, and now a 1200 (and a third 500, though I don't keep it set up.) I've always found that I much prefer real hardware to the emulation experience, when it can be had at a reasonable cost - and Amiga hardware isn't that rare (nothing like DEC gear.)

I've never once encountered a broken 1084; they seem to last forever. Even if they do eventually break, there's other suitable RGB monitors out there that can be had - Apple IIGS, for instance.
Old 26 September 2012, 05:41   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
Or do they just rely on emulation like Cloanto software
Cloanto don't make emulation software, they just use WinUAE.

I use WinUAE a lot more than my real A1200, which I do still have. WinUAE is just so much more convenient!
Old 26 September 2012, 05:44   #4
quarkx
Our prices are Insane!

I am a certified Hardware junky. I would never even consider running it in emulation. Much easer to hook up a real Amiga, pop in a floppy and you are there. I tried win -aue and was lost with all the options.
Give me real hardware any day of the week, and judging from the sales from my on-line store, a lot of people agree.
Old 26 September 2012, 05:46   #5
dJOS

Quote:
Ae people still that excited they still buy Amiga hardware now days? Or do they just rely on emulation like Cloanto software to the same job? Given PC is up to speed.

Given that Amiga hardware is as rare as 'hens teeth'' in 2012 what happens when that 1084s CRT monitor breaks and you need a techie to fix?

Or don't people worry to much about that anymore,, more if a "through away" type of issue.....

Out with the old crt, in with the replacement.
Emulation bores me to death, I use it to setup my CF cards and that's it - gimmie a real Miggy anyday (even if it is just my lowly 500+).
Old 26 September 2012, 05:50   #6
NovaCoder

You don't want to know how much I've spent on building up a 1200 over the last year, so yes people (crazy people) do still buy hardware.

I personally use WinUAE a lot, it's what I use to test the RTG versions of my software releases. I don't think I would ever use it as a replacement for my A1200 though because it's just not the same as the real thing. I get a real buzz out of seeing what 1992 hardware can do which you won't get from 2012 PC emulating an Amiga.
Old 26 September 2012, 06:07   #7
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
You don't want to know how much I've spent on building up a 1200 over the last year, so yes people (crazy people) do still buy hardware.
Same here, my wife would string me up if she knew what I'd spent in the last 4 months on my 500+. I supect I could have bought a brand new well specced Mac Mini with the money!
Old 26 September 2012, 06:37   #8
fishyfish
Banned

A bit of a misconception there though too.
There's no need to use a crt monitor at all, let alone something like a 1084.

Not everyone is interested in loading another entire OS and having it host AmigaOS either. It distorts the feel. This can be stripped back somewhat so Windows loads amigaos straight away after its loaded, but its still not the same. It's still using DirectX and you can really "feel" that.

There's 101 reasons for a lot of people why Winuae, despite being a great bit of software will never replace a real amiga.
Im sure some people will get this (proabably not those that use emulators exclusively), but the smell and feel of the hardware will never be replicated with an emulator.

You can paint/disguise anything to appear like something else, but the real enthusiast is very aware that its not the real deal, ergo not always interested.
Old 26 September 2012, 08:50   #9
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Back in the 90s I bought one of the first C64 emulators. cc64 it was called. I also got a parallell port adapter and transferred all my c64 disks to d64. Was wonderful to have everything so convinient. But i missed the joysticks, and the feel wasn't the same. And then the disk crashed and I lost all my d64's..

When i came back to "retro" it was through the cd32 and the c64dtv. I wanted something that felt more like it. But while i liked the dtv it didn't have the same feeling as the real thing, and the cd32 limited me.

Now i only do real hardware, with diskdrive emulation and such. But I do have real drives too if i need that. A bit of "best of both worlds". And I'm in no fear of hardware breaking, i got spares. and there are skilled people on the boards that can fix most anything

Not to mention I don't find general amiga hardware "rare as hens teeth". While it isn't in every store, you find a selection in any classified magazine. Many looking to turn their posessions into gold, but also good deals.
Old 26 September 2012, 09:12   #10
mombasajoe

I don´t buy any Amiga-Hardware anymore...I´ve got 2 x A500 and 2x A500+, 2xCD 32 (all working)...that are enough spare parts for the next few years. If they are all broken some day ... bad luck -> Emu.
Old 26 September 2012, 12:31   #11
redblade
Zone Friend

Brought a A600HD last year when I was back home in .nz, got it sent to me in .au earlier but couldn't use it as I took the IDE HD out back in .nz and didn't get a 2.5"IDE CF adaptor in .au, I also didn't have any floppies, *grrrrhhhhhhhhh*
Old 26 September 2012, 12:59   #12
deicidal
Registered Insane

I use both, emulation is great for doing stuff quickly but it doesn't just feel as good as the real thing
Old 26 September 2012, 13:21   #13
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have enough Amigas, but sometimes I buy a new HW, yes. Like scandoubler or MAS player. I use emulation only for some web related work (grabbing screenshots etc.).
Old 27 September 2012, 00:17   #14
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

I purchased my amiga 500 to be stored for my future children, I hope

Anyway I use GAMEBASE and or CLASSIC WB both using winaue both gamebase is an awesome frontend with every amiga game ever released.

p.s I did have an original and far better stuff years ago
Old 27 September 2012, 00:18   #15
h0ffman

I use winuae a lot for writing tunes and coding. Loads of reasons why but the main one is you have complete access to all the files. Means you can instantly tranfer stuff in and out of the environment.

I have an a1200 but decided to buy an a600 on eBay this week due to finding out that a bug in winuae meant my music disk never worked on the system it was intended for!!!! Also I'm working on an Amiga live act which means I need two of them ! Also, it was £40!!!! Bargin
Old 27 September 2012, 01:03   #16
Sektor 83

I actually wouldn't mind owning a real Amiga again, and maybe I will see if I can try and get hold of a decent working one in the near future. I love WinUAE and use it regularly, but what it doesn't emulate, what it couldn't emulate, is the physicality of handling a real Amiga.
Old 27 September 2012, 01:20   #17
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Yes!

I am an ardent classic user, but;

I just purchased the amazing AmigaOne X1000.
I was doubtful if it would really feel like the classic Amigas of my youth. One month in I can confirm that this machine feels, behaves and wows just like the classic Amigas.

It is a limited run of custom made UK hardware. It is expensive and not comparable to modern PCs. It is beta, the OS has quirks, but it is Amiga.

It is divorce inducingly expensive, but no more so than golf clubs or classic cars...

Would I recommend it? Yes without hesitation.
Old 27 September 2012, 10:16   #18
diablothe2nd

I use both emulation and the real deal. Although more emulation at the moment as i'm waiting for Amigakit to ship me a new PSU as my one's just about dead.

Emulation for me cures the itch when I'm on the move or away from home in some manner, but nothing beats firing the real thing up, hearing the genuine sound of a floppy drive and re learning how to type on the spongy keys

also, there currently doesn't seem to be a away to emulate a PPC Amiga... and to me, the emulation doesn't feel as fast as the real thing. I guess cos there isn't WarpUp and the ability to clock an 060 to 66/70 Mhz in the emulator like i can on my real miggy. even using JIT doesn't seem to come close
Old 27 September 2012, 10:30   #19
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Just tell me where I can put my next paycheck and donate my left kidney
Yes people still buy the HW, can you understand that?
Old 27 September 2012, 11:17   #20
Coltch

I use both emulation and real hardware. If I'm not at home it's emulation on either my netbook (Amiga Forever) or in my phone (uae4droid) but nothing beats using the real hardware. In the last year I've spent quite a bit (2 x A1200, 1 x A600, 1 x A500 plus loads of boxed games - then there is the ACA1231, CF HDD's and ADF transfer kit).

My son will play PES or FIFA on my PC, but get him playing Sensi on the Amiga and he loves it.

Emulation has it's place but for me the real hardware is more rewarding and it's getting used and not collecting dust.