English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 February 2009, 14:56   #61
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad View Post
I remain sceptical of the pandora, the wiz's screen is too small... psp is the best but its amiga emu does need a asm 68k core
Im trying to figure it out, got some help but still may not be able to sort it, . I hoping, the asm core can be added to PSPUAE. I was let down by a well known coder, who kept promising, but never delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfriend View Post
mmh, but the pandora has 256MB RAM and a 900Mhz CPU clocked to 600Mhz, that 8 times more ram and double the CPU speed of the PSP. And the big advantage is you dont have to hack your device to get any emulator running, nothing has to be done in the grey side.
Lets just wait until it got released and people posting their reports.
The PSP has 2 cpu's, sharing between the 2 can help.

I also doubt they will ever clock it to 900MHz, unless your going to redesign it not to over heat.
Old 05 February 2009, 15:05   #62
pubzombie

I am just sick of giving my money to the big players - i will gamble on the underdog every time now. Never liked sony much and nintendo even less. when everybody in my house was playing sony and nes consoles I always stuck with the C64, miggy, pc and atari2600, apart from Golden eye and res evil and the odd blast on Street Fighter 2. Just found the game s more to my liking and the community more grown up - at the time that is. Just really want to see an open source machine give the big players the finger - yay spin on it. Perhaps its a hangover from all those playground arguments I had in the early 80s over who had the best machines.
Old 05 February 2009, 15:19   #63
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I use the console/system that has/does what I want.

I rock.
Old 05 February 2009, 15:20   #64
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I also doubt they will ever clock it to 900MHz, unless your going to redesign it not to over heat.
heh, now you are just making stuff up. Its underclocked to preserve batteries. Running it at 900mHz isnt overclocking its the native speed.
Old 05 February 2009, 15:20   #65
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post

I rock.
lol, nice reply, .
Old 05 February 2009, 15:23   #66
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
heh, now you are just making stuff up. Its underclocked to preserve batteries. Running it at 900mHz isnt overclocking its the native speed.
So your telling me no cpu in the world generates heat?

I wasnt making stuff up, just saying. If I took the massive heatsink off my CPU, it would cook in seconds, its fact.

Have they gone for a laptop approach, where it roasts and gets really hot (even with a fan)?
Old 05 February 2009, 15:29   #67
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:

I wasnt making stuff up, just saying. If I took the massive heatsink off my CPU, it would cook in seconds, its fact.

Have they gone for a laptop approach, where it roasts and gets really hot (even with a fan)?
Did the psp cook itself in seconds when emu devs clocked it to its native speed instead of running it at the underclocked speed like the commercial games did?

The OMAP will not cook itself in seconds running at 900mHz. FACT!

The OMAP doesnt even have a heatsink and runs very cool at 900mHz as it was designed to run at this speed. Like the psp, gp2x and gp32 changing the clockspeed is done by software.
Old 05 February 2009, 15:32   #68
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Did the psp cook itself in seconds when emu devs clocked it to its native speed instead of running it at the underclocked speed like the commercial games did?

The OMAP will not cook itself in seconds running at 900mHz. FACT!

The OMAP doesnt even have a heatsink and runs very cool at 900mHz as it was designed to run at this speed. Like the psp, gp2x and gp32 changing the clockspeed is done by software.
Give up, we are getting into a pointless argument. Everything generates heat, 333MHz is alot different from 900MHz.

You still didnt answer my question, so your obviously going on all the hype thats press released.
Old 05 February 2009, 15:43   #69
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Give up, we are getting into a pointless argument. Everything generates heat, 333MHz is alot different from 900MHz.

You still didnt answer my question, so your obviously going on all the hype thats press released.
Your question:

Quote:
Is not relevant to your statement:

Quote:
I also doubt they will ever clock it to 900MHz, unless your going to redesign it not to over heat
The processor is designed to run at 900mHz without cooking itself in seconds. Why would they design a processor on a SOC designed to run with no heatsink that would cook itself in seconds?

But then I must be blinded by the hype for believing them over someone making wild statements on the internet with no research on the actual architecture of the device.
Old 05 February 2009, 15:51   #70
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Your question:

Is not relevant to your statement:

The processor is designed to run at 900mHz without cooking itself in seconds. Why would they design a processor on a SOC designed to run with no heatsink that would cook itself in seconds?

But then I must be blinded by the hype for believing them over someone making wild statements on the internet with no research on the actual architecture of the device.
Fair enough, just been reading up on this, it proberly does have a heatsink (built into the core).

I think we should wait til its released and used by people before commenting. Also this seems to be an on going discussion over at gpx32 forums. Quoting figures and frequencies, but no concreate proof.

If they have a prototype, why dont they just hammer the CPU and report the findings, would save all the discussion.
Old 05 February 2009, 16:03   #71
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
If they have a prototype, why dont they just hammer the CPU and report the findings, would save all the discussion.
Some light reading for you if you are interested:

The ARM Cortex-A8:

http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM_Cortex-A8.html

This is the actual SOC used in both the beagleboard and Pandora:

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/gen...ontentId=36915

Also:

http://beagleboard.org/

The Beagleboard is almost a non portable version of the pandora the hardware is almost identical and has been out for a while now.

One of the devs pushing an actual pandora to 800mHz to see if it is stable.

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/200...g-on-angstrom/
Old 05 February 2009, 16:09   #72
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Some light reading for you if you are interested:

The ARM Cortex-A8:

http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM_Cortex-A8.html

This is the actual SOC used in both the beagleboard and Pandora:

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/gen...ontentId=36915

Also:

http://beagleboard.org/

The Beagleboard is almost a non portable version of the pandora the hardware is almost identical and has been out for a while now.

One of the devs pushing an actual pandora to 800mHz to see if it is stable.

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/200...g-on-angstrom/
Thanks, will take a look at this.

Seems 11 years of the same boring electronics has made me oblivious to new electronic advances.

Sorry for arguing, .
Old 05 February 2009, 16:12   #73
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Thanks, will take a look at this.

Seems 11 years of the same boring electronics has made me oblivious to new electronic advances.

Sorry for arguing, .
No problem at all FOL, you know I have mucho respect for you and your work on PSPUAE. It's probably for that reason I had to explain a couple of things. People will take your word over a bum like me any day.
Old 05 February 2009, 16:15   #74
pubzombie

Quote:

I rock.
yep and sony or nintendo have never done a lot for me
Old 05 February 2009, 16:18   #75
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
People will take your word over a bum like me any day.
lol, Why?

I just a normal person like you. What I have done with PSPUAE is mostly guess work, struggling on my own.

Im going to try my hardest now to get this core added to pspuae. I have the PSP ASM 68K core, but am unsure how to get it running. Gnostic said I need to check the registers (still trying to figure 100% out what he ment ).
Old 05 February 2009, 16:20   #76
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:

I rock.
You do indeed sir. Besides Amigas handheld game consoles are a bit of a passion of mine.
I have not counting the really retro ones: gp32flu, gp32blu+, gp2xfe, gp2xse, gp2xf200, tapwave zodiac2, gizmondo, psp phat, ds, dslite even an n-gage QD but don't tell anyone
Old 05 February 2009, 16:39   #77
pubzombie

Quote:
lol, Why?

I just a normal person like you. What I have done with PSPUAE is mostly guess work, struggling on my own.

Im going to try my hardest now to get this core added to pspuae. I have the PSP ASM 68K core, but am unsure how to get it running. Gnostic said I need to check the registers (still trying to figure 100% out what he ment ).
@Fol,
I never knew you are a coder/programmer. MUCHO respect to you. If it wasnt for people like you then emulation wouldnt exist and I wouldn't have had so much fun and got another amiga. I am bidding on a psp at the moment but really need to get it cheap, have seen them go as cheap as 20 quid on the eburglar sites. (with no games) I gues I am just stuck in my ways with games. I am a military historian and history teacher and lecturer by trade, and I grew up playing military type games with fight sims and strategy games forming my staple diet. I still enjoyed shooters but the style of games I really loved always seemed to require a keyboard and joystic/mouse and were much less common on psx and nintendo consoles. Moreover, I just couldnt get into the console generation back in the day, I hated the Mario games and Sonic type games were just pointless for me. Perhaps I am biased, but i just found computer games were on a different level for me than console games; after the market crashes of the 1980s and 90s i still played my old games much more than the newer ones. Just stubborn I gues. I want a panny because using virtual keyboards i find very difficult. anything else it does will be a bonus.
Again thanx for your work, I hope to sample pspuae very soon.
PZ
Old 05 February 2009, 16:48   #78
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

lol, there are others that deserve respect. I have just tried to help.

The original creators of UAE, the PSP porting of E-UAE and Toni for his continuation of WinUAE.

If it werent for WinUAE then E-UAE proberly wouldnt exist. Therefore, we may never have had a PSPUAE.

Think we are starting to go off topic here, .
Old 05 February 2009, 16:51   #79
pubzombie

@fol
would you not like to work on a panny?
Old 05 February 2009, 16:54   #80
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
@fol
would you not like to work on a panny?
Maybe, not sure yet. If GnosTiC gets 1 to continue his old UAE2x project, then I may be turned, to helping him with it.