English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 01 January 2014, 00:15   #1
NovaCoder

IndivisionAGA MKII with FastATA - Guide

Thought some people would be interested in this link...

IndivisionAGA MKII with FastATA
Old 01 January 2014, 03:42   #2
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks Nova. It looks like you still have the idea of using that "pain in the ass" Fast Ata. I will tell you: it seems better to desolder the kickstart sockets and use round pin ones than to use angled cutted risers. I've tried both and it works better (for me) with the round sockets. It is anyway a "very" difficult task to change them, so you can leave that to some other, but after that it will work very well. In my case I had to file the side of the lower kickstart rom too, as it was touching with the keyboard, but it all works perfect now with an MKIV at PioV, giving more than 8Mb/s. It is less than with the MKII (9,5), but seems much more stable.

I have to make a video of my AmiKit 05, as it runs fast like hell with an ACA1230/56, Fast ATA MKIV, Indi MKII and some "add-ons" like RoadShow for Internet, a Mas Player, internal Dvd and the Roland MT-32 with a Deluxe Midi IV running all together very happily .

Edit: And we must try the new Scandoubler "Scanjuggler" that seems to fit with the Fast ATA without mods.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 January 2014 at 03:58.
Old 01 January 2014, 14:21   #3
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Hi guys I use cut strip pins for mine has anyone tried the cr version with a fastata
Old 01 January 2014, 16:22   #4
BrianHoskins

Johnim,

The Indivision that was fitted during this 'article' is actually the CR version. Was there much difference between this and the original MKII version? Is it worth me making any mention of it?

Cut-strip was my first choice as well but I didn't have enough of it in receptacle form to hand. Got plenty of it in mating form, which of course is typical. Next time I want mating form I'll suddenly have plenty of the receptacle type and none of the mating type. That's how it seems to work for me!

Retrofan:

I agree about your preference to replace the A1200 motherboard ROM sockets. Unfortunately it is not a trivial job, as you also mentioned. Through-hole components are difficult to remove from multi-layer PCBs, and the problem is compounded with DIL sockets because access to the top-side joints is restricted. I get the impression that you have experience of this.
Since the average Amiga tinkerer is unlikely to be in a position to replace the sockets I thought it was best to advise them to strictly avoid repeated mating cycles on the existing sockets. Basically, they should connect their riser sockets into the A1200 once and then leave them alone from that point onwards (using the riser sockets as 'sacrificial').
I do have some good tools for through-hole rework so maybe I'll do some surgery in the coming weeks

NovaCoder:

Thanks for the post

Last edited by BrianHoskins; 01 January 2014 at 16:28.

Old 01 January 2014, 18:14   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHoskins View Post
...Was there much difference between this and the original MKII version? Is it worth me making any mention of it?
Hi Brian. Yes, the first version comes with a thick connector and you can't just use some socket risers, but to use larger ones and cut them angled so you can have the Fast ATA over the Indi. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64319

Well, or change the original sockets like mentioned.
Old 01 January 2014, 18:40   #6
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi Brian here is mine http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=819330&postcount=27

the connector on the mkii is differnt on the mkii cr

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1085 mkii

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1148 cr version
Old 02 January 2014, 09:29   #7
BrianHoskins

Thanks both - that does sound like it's worth a mention!

I am really not fond on that angled solution for the standard MKII, though I accept that there are probably no better ideas. I assume the CR version will be produced going forwards so this problem will not exist for new customers of the Indivision.

I'll mention it and link back to the post about angling the FastATA here. Thanks for the link!

Brian