English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 October 2018, 14:14   #61
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Slam Tilt for sure. There is no pinball game that i played that much since 1996.
Old 19 October 2018, 14:23   #62
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Cannon Fodder or SWOS
This.

I don't even like football/soccer - like, I hated it at school, but that is such a damn fun game to play, with equally as fun graphics, that I played it quite a lot.

As for Cannon Fodder, well - just the way the dev team are photographed in the intro sequence - do you even get that kind of personal touch anymore?

Awesome games.
Old 19 October 2018, 14:51   #63
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

For me it's definitely Goal!, a game I still play nowadays with one of my best friends (who sold his Amigas years ago).
Old 19 October 2018, 17:38   #64
d4rk3lf

K240 - Even by today standards, this game is very playable. Graphics are outdated of course, but I still enjoy it very much. And I keep wandering why there's no new game like this on PC (not talking about Fragile Allegiance, I am talking about some 2015-2018 game)

Dune 1 and Reunion - Great games with unique mix of strategy and adventure, back in the days where games companies weren't afraid pf experimenting.

Monkey Island 1, 2
Goblins 3
Simon the Sorcerer - Awesome graphics even by today standards (art is art), and the humor is great

Ruff 'n' Tumble - It's a masterpiece platformer. It's so polished in every single aspect, and I still play it, and still being amazed how awesome it is.
Someone said choppy scrolling. Where? I don't see any choppiness, it runs very very smooth.

Shadow of the Beast 3 - Very hard, but awesome intelligent quest. Actually, this game is not suited or 2018, because players are very spoiled, and would cause many frustration for lots of them.

Another World, Flashback - Again, art is art. You can't easely beat designs of these vector graphics.

Civilization - I mostly played Civ 3,4 and 1. But nothing beats Civ 1 with epic feel when you research technology and there are scientist standing before you. I don't like at all Civ 5 and 6. Not stacking units is a mess. I firstly though that it could be nice in strategic point, but I was wrong. It slowed the game so much. The should have allowed at least stacking 3 to 5 units. Then the games are constantly bombard you with options like: do you want + 5 production, or faster worker.... who cares? Both are good, just pick whatever, and let me play damit!
I'd pick Civ 1 over Civ 5 and 6 anytime.

Frontier - Playing it these days. My Imperial rank is Ser, and I hope I will serve his majesty at my beast in the years to come. Let's wreck those Federals that hide their true ambitions under the veil of democracy.

Settlers, Lemmings,. Dyna Blaster (pure awesomeness in multiplayer), many pinbal games, Arcade Pool,Fire and Ice...

... and many, many more.
Old 19 October 2018, 18:07   #65
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Ruff 'n' Tumble - It's a masterpiece platformer. It's so polished in every single aspect, and I still play it, and still being amazed how awesome it is.
Someone said choppy scrolling. Where? I don't see any choppiness, it runs very very smooth

I agree gameplay-wise. But technically it's a 25fps (maybe less) game in combination with a very fast scrolling. I get sea sick playing this today, even on a 50Hz CRT. A very good candidate for a proper AGA port in glorious 50fps scrolling.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 October 2018 at 18:18.
Old 19 October 2018, 18:47   #66
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I strongly disagree with everyone who has suggested Monkey Island 1 & 2. The Amiga versions of these games were crap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Compared to what? PC??
Stay on-topic!

If you want to compare some game versions, start a new thread.
Old 19 October 2018, 19:11   #67
Zak
Zap´em

Goal! is my alltime favourite game and I still play it the most today. I think most important about a game is the gameplay. FIFA may have better graphics but the Goal! gameplay is unbeatable even today.
Old 19 October 2018, 19:20   #68
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Goal! is my alltime favourite game and I still play it the most today. I think most important about a game is the gameplay. FIFA may have better graphics but the Goal! gameplay is unbeatable even today.

Couldn't agree more!
Old 19 October 2018, 21:03   #69
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Is that game that could never measure to Sensible Soccer??
Old 19 October 2018, 21:36   #70
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Goal! eats Sensible Soccer for breakfast! The rankings are: 1. Goal!, 2. Kick Off 2, 3. Sensible Soccer/SWOS.
Old 19 October 2018, 21:43   #71
Anubis
Retro Gamer

No, no, no...

We don't sort from worst to best, but from best to worst...

So, without further ado...

1. Sensible Soccer
2. SWOS
3. Kick Off
4. Lothar Mathaus Super Soccer
5. Goal

Old 19 October 2018, 22:29   #72
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I strongly disagree with everyone who has suggested Monkey Island 1
True, in the sense that father time has taken its toll. But to call Monkey 1 on Amiga CRAP? Blasphemy! Graphics were partly on the poor side. But very atmospheric and art direction was still solid. The game had VERY nice vistas on Amiga just as on other platforms.

Graphics aside, it was step-by-step just as good as any other version. With absolutely heavenly music.

I still wouldn't have it on this list. Generally, you need to have enjoyed it back then.
Old 19 October 2018, 22:46   #73
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Alien Fish Finger, v 1.31. I just can not imagine how this could be better.
Old 19 October 2018, 23:13   #74
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Never heard of that one?!
Old 20 October 2018, 07:07   #75
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Never heard of that one?!
There is life on EAB outside of Off-topic you know:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58134
Old 20 October 2018, 08:19   #76
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I would say shufflepuck cafe !!!
In my family each new generation plays this game and they still like it.
They tried to make a remake but it was an epic fail.
The others i thought about are on the list of others members.
Old 20 October 2018, 12:37   #77
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Dune 1 and Reunion - Great games with unique mix of strategy and adventure, back in the days where games companies weren't afraid pf experimenting.

Frontier - Playing it these days. My Imperial rank is Ser, and I hope I will serve his majesty at my beast in the years to come. Let's wreck those Federals that hide their true ambitions under the veil of democracy.
Dune 1 was amazing, and got me to finally read the book (one of the only novels i've read - i get bored, haha).

Reunion never heard of and i'll look into.

Frontier! I am still looking forward to playing this on a good accelerated Amiga. I've seen it in person, the intro, at 7 mips or so and its as playable as a modern game in terms of frame rate. I can imagine still losing hours and hours to that 1 disk bit of genius.
Old 20 October 2018, 13:50   #78
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Dune 1 was amazing, and got me to finally read the book (one of the only novels i've read - i get bored, haha).
For me, the first 3 books were good, but last 3 not so good. Too much internal confusion of the "chosen one" Muad Dib, for my taste.

Quote:
Reunion never heard of and i'll look into.
Reunion is similarly, like Dune, very interesting mix of strategy/adventure. They are not similar games, don't get me wrong, but their programmers had courage to experiment and try new approaches with mixing few games genders. They were both highly successful, imho.
I am wondering why you haven't heard of Reunion before. Back in the day it was pretty popular. At least in my country.

Quote:
Frontier! I am still looking forward to playing this on a good accelerated Amiga. I've seen it in person, the intro, at 7 mips or so and its as playable as a modern game in terms of frame rate. I can imagine still losing hours and hours to that 1 disk bit of genius.
I am playing it on my Amiga 500 with Aca 500+, but only on 14Mhz, and even I could go to 42Mhz, 14Mhz is totally fine with me.
In Frontier, FPŠ depends on where you are, and if you're on planet surface, then it can get pretty slow, but in space, and around orbital stations, FPS is totally Ok (for me, at least), and I avoid planet surfaces, mainly because autopilot have tendency to crash the ship.

So, I wouldn't recommend playing it on stock A500 on 7MHz, but at 14Mhz, it's totally Ok with me. Now, if you want perfect speed, even on 42Mhz, on planet surface is not 100% smooth, when I tested it.
Old 20 October 2018, 22:00   #79
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
There is life on EAB outside of Off-topic you know:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58134

Ouch.... it almost sound as if you miss me...

Thanks!
Old 21 October 2018, 13:59   #80
high-5
Zone Friend

Still playing Dogfight Simulator when it comes to 4-Player-simultaneous games. GFX and sound are minimalistic but 4P-fun-factor is unbeaten.