English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 May 2018, 16:23   #81
DamienD
Banned

Yeah, Fightin' Spirit absolulety rocks and reminds me of all the cool arcade fighters of the time!!!

I mean; there are numerous moves that each player can do and all with only one button / Street Fighter like movements.
Old 17 May 2018, 16:59   #82
Amigajay

I agree Fightin Spirit is my favourite Amiga fighting game, it has that arcade vibe, feels solid unlike most Amiga fighters, and being a Neo Geo fan its a big compliment! the CD32 is the best with full pad support and great cd audio, the only thing it misses is some parallax scrolling, and considering its not much different to the A500 version im sure they could have put some in.
Old 17 May 2018, 18:01   #83
Glen M

Graphically fightin spirit is very impressive. The backgrounds have a pixel art type quality. Reminds me more of a king of fighters look rather than street fighter. I'd set the game somewhere between the 16bit and 32bit 2d fighters. Parlax would be nice but personally it's those background animations that make it for me.

The controls are tight and I like it takes an input of a street fighter type sequence to pull off the specials, rather than body blows and push yellow for special move. My cd32 arcade stick makes the experience even better. Truly is the greatest fighting game on the amiga. Oh and that intro and it's song really gets you pumped ready to play lol.

I don't know if that's cd32 exclusive or not?
Old 20 May 2018, 18:24   #84
Raid27
I have a joystick

Wing Commander on the Amiga 500
[ Show youtube player ]

...and on the CD32
[ Show youtube player ]

The former is sometimes a slideshow.
Old 20 May 2018, 22:44   #85
Glen M

I believe the cd32 version of wing commander makes use of akiko. I wonder if played with tf328 would it be slightly faster again.
Old 20 May 2018, 23:23   #86
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I believe the cd32 version of wing commander makes use of akiko. I wonder if played with tf328 would it be slightly faster again.
I heard it doesn't (properly), well it was coded to, but a line of code was wrong so it doesnt work as well as it should or something along those lines, cant remember the source of that info though.

Edit; found a link to a guy on another forum saying the same thing, not sure how he got the info, or i just remember his comment, wonder if anyone could check the code and try to fix to see how faster it would go if fixed?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...t=40&49#605986

Last edited by Amigajay; 20 May 2018 at 23:31.
Old 21 May 2018, 10:12   #87
Daedalus

Quote:
In terms of the topic and CD32 vs Floppy versions I actually Frontier is a good example of small tweeks between the versions. The CD32 version I believe has larger cities with windmills. A minimal upgrade but a difference nonetheless and shows a developer showing some interest. I think it also removed the copy protection cause who can copy a CD....
It also fixed a few bugs and added the flight computer function that makes navigation within a system a little bit easier. But all that still doesn't use anything CD32-specific other than the controller. It's still an ECS game that makes use of the faster CPU to provide a smoother framerate, and runs without modification on other Amigas if you copy it off the CD.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:21   #88
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
It also fixed a few bugs and added the flight computer function that makes navigation within a system a little bit easier. But all that still doesn't use anything CD32-specific other than the controller. It's still an ECS game that makes use of the faster CPU to provide a smoother framerate, and runs without modification on other Amigas if you copy it off the CD.
Nevertheless still shows a developer putting in some effort rather than just copy and paste to CD. Yeah I know it runs fine off the CD as it would be the version I play on my 1200.

I suppose it would have been nice to see the classical music redone with CD audio but I'm not sure an AGA upgrade would have done much but potentially make the game run slower again.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:22   #89
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I heard it doesn't (properly), well it was coded to, but a line of code was wrong so it doesnt work as well as it should or something along those lines, cant remember the source of that info though.

Edit; found a link to a guy on another forum saying the same thing, not sure how he got the info, or i just remember his comment, wonder if anyone could check the code and try to fix to see how faster it would go if fixed?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...t=40&49#605986
Scratch that then. Didn't know it had this problem.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:43   #90
Amigajay

Quote:

I suppose it would have been nice to see the classical music redone with CD audio but I'm not sure an AGA upgrade would have done much but potentially make the game run slower again.
Which is why i was very dubious when First Encounters was announced for Amiga, Elite 2 wasn’t even very fast with flat vectors/polygons, how they expected to run that sequel with texture mapping was very strange, no surprise we never saw anything of it.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:44   #91
Daedalus

Quote:
Indeed, not a lot of use was made of the chipset features since it was all 3D and therefore CPU-bound. It really needs a faster CPU (some fast RAM helps too) - without that, having extra colours isn't really an advantage as it will still plod along with the same slow framerate. For me, playing it on a stock 1200 was just about acceptable, playing on a 600 just wasn't enjoyable for me.
Old 21 May 2018, 16:14   #92
Leffmann

These threads always makes me think about how the CD32 was such a missed opportunity. It could've been so good with just a few small HW upgrades and some modernization.
Old 21 May 2018, 16:31   #93
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
These threads always makes me think about how the CD32 was such a missed opportunity. It could've been so good with just a few small HW upgrades and some modernization.
I think there's a tendency to compare consoles of this era to the playstation. Sony basically invented the notion of selling hardware at a loss to make money from software sales and it was that risk in my opinion that started to push the tech.

Commodore barely had the cash to make the cd32 as it is so wouldn't of had a chance making it an 030 16mb ram aaa chipset. Even if they had of put the faster processor and more ram in it still likely would have put the cost out of the market.

It is what it is so let's make the most of that. No one has ever done a bad job in hindsight.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:09   #94
ruinashiro

A CD32 was my main amiga for years, with an SX32Pro 030/50 loaded with RAM, etc.

I still love it and think fondly of it in my bouts of nostalgia, and it was very good as an amiga computer. That said, as a console released in that era, it was basically junk (I'm dodging rotten fruit now).

It was severely underpowered (as you said, Commodore couldn't have done any better) and with no support from real pro houses. There were no "killer apps." Every decent game in any genre has better games of that genre, or just plain better versions of the same game, on the competing machines which could also do types of games the CD32 couldn't handle.

I all but gave up gaming on the amiga in that era for that reason. Not for FPS, which I still hate, but for better 16-32-bit style 2D gaming. My Neo Geo CD and Sega Saturn were mindblowing in comparison.

Perhaps some of that wasn't the CD32's or Commodore's fault (well, the 1200 came out as too-little too-late also IMO). And maybe it was as you said, that Sony (and maybe Sega also) fought a fight with extravagant money. NEC also failed with their console in the same era as did a few other companies.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:25   #95
Marle
Pixel Vixen

I have to say I am still a bit baffled at the CD32s recent popularity boost, and positively grimmace at the price games like Flink fetch (not that it's MegaDrive or MegaCD variants are that much cheaper.)

But I guess there are other motivations such as collecting, loving the history, etc. other than playing games, and of course, I still forget that it's now 25 years old (seems like yesterday) so it is a retro system and that does strange things to prices and perceived value. So not knocking anyone who has one or who will pay £300 for one, I'd just sooner drop that money on a SNES Mini and a weekend break in Paris

But along the line's of what Neil of RetroManCave has said in his recent videos, the CD32 does make a good compact WHDLoad machine if you get the extra memory for it for Amiga based games.

I was looking at an old Amiga Format from 1999 and 2000 the other day and Analogic were selling CD32s, controllers, etc. with an SX32 with a 68030 for £149.... I know there's inflation to take account of, but I do find the skyward pricing of CD32s quite 'strange' from a gamer's point of view.

Meanwhile, a SNES Mini has Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Super Metroid..... and is hackable for £79 with two controllers that don't make me want to cry (or need to remortgage my flat hahaha)....And this isn't mentioning games like Seiken Densetsu 3, Chrono Trigger and Terranigma...Or I can play Akira for the CD32...tough choices

But yes depends on your motivations!
Old 23 May 2018, 14:25   #96
Glen M

I'd put its recent popularity down to a few things.

1. The TF328 expansion with a CF card filled with WHDLoad makes the console very attractive as a compact amiga gaming experience.
2. The compact size and styling of the console sits better in the living room rather than the wedge computers.
3. Retro gaming in general seems to follow a 25-30 year revival so perhaps its just the CD32s turn for the casual retro gamer looking an amiga experience.
4. An Amiga console is maybe less daunting to the general retro gamer over an Amiga computer.
5. It has a fair bit of coverage on youtube of late from Retro Man Cave and GadgetUK.
Old 23 May 2018, 14:52   #97
Amigajay

Its definitely because retro gaming in general is becoming bigger, and more and more people are buying and collecting just for consoles, even CDTVs have shot up in price despite no scene for that machine as such.
Speaking to some console collectors, who recently bought a CD32 or PC Engine CD or whatever retro system, they want to collect old games for those systems, but also the new homebrew games coming out, which can only be a good thing for Amiga devs who choose to support the CD32, instead of just Amiga owners maybe clinging onto the old machines, the collectors are increasing and willing to spend on new games.
Thats why i hope to bridge the gap with other retro scenes with my mag and get word about these new games, i feel the momentium is starting to roll finally, and its some great looking upcoming CD32 games will help continue this.
Old 23 May 2018, 16:26   #98
Amiga1992

Even without a TF328 the CD32 is the BEST Amiga to play games on.

- Making your own compilation discs isn't hard and a disc can fit a TON.
- Lots of games work fine without the need for extra RAM, many times you can even preload them fully in RAM.
- The better controller with more buttons is well supported and greatly enhances many old games via new WHDLoad installs
- It's compact and meant to go under your TV set, alongside other consoles.
- It can basically play all games out there for the Amiga.

I think that back when it came out, backlash against it was understood (bad marketing, overlaps A1200 too much, no killer apps) but nowadays with distance and hindsight, you cannot say it isn't a fantastic Amiga machine if games are your thing, and if you can bag one, you'd be making no mistake.

Problem with the current populartity rise is obvious: prices have spiked. I bought my kit for 70-ish quid some years ago from an EAB member and I was very happy with it ever since.

I have stopped playing games on my regular Amigas, I only use the CD32.
Old 23 May 2018, 17:11   #99
th4t1guy

Getting a CD32 was the reason I created an Ebay account (back in 1999!), since that was really the only option to get one if you lived in the US.

However, as a console compared to the rest of the market, it's comically bad. For example, some CD32 games like Alien Breed 3D or Speris Legacy, which are not really good games to begin with, require entering a code from the manual to play. I think the CD32 may be the only console in existence with manual copy protection like this.
Old 23 May 2018, 17:15   #100
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
However, as a console compared to the rest of the market, it's comically bad.
But why keep comparing it to what was available in the market at the time? Just take it at face value and unless you hate Amiga games, this is a great machine!

A game asking for a code is not the machine's fault is it? More like the developers being lazy shovelwarers.