English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 December 2016, 23:33   #41
digitalx

I had the A1200 for months, I bought a set of workbench disks, cf card and adapter from amiga kit.

It some hd tools thing it's showing some letters and memory allocated they said it comes pre formatted.
Old 15 December 2016, 23:41   #42
Daedalus

Yep, it came preformatted but with no OS installed.

So you're getting read errors now on a disk that was fine before? Either the disk has deteriorated in the meantime or the floppy drive's getting a little unreliable. If travelling is too tricky, perhaps you could simply post the CF card to someone else with an A1200 (or equivalent WinUAE setup) and let them install the OS on it. I'd do it for you, though I'm not sure I could get it done and turned around before I head home to Ireland next week, what with post being slow around this year and all. But maybe someone else might be kind enough to?
Old 16 December 2016, 00:44   #43
digitalx

Tried formatting, after an hour of swapping os install to system discs, ALL the bloody partition options where greyed out after i did that. im so.. flipping annoyed to be nice.

I'm stumped and nearly broke it, i gotta chill. I just cant get help in real life or online easy.

i appreciate the help but ive hit a brick wall. I cannot do anything.

Not a DOS disc is now another error I get, and f me If I understand that. Wish it were bloody simpler like a modern pc. This bollocks is driving me nuts.
Old 16 December 2016, 01:03   #44
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

2 options:

Send it back to Amigakit so they can reset the card

Send it to me and I'll set it back up for you.

I Doubt the card is damaged, but be prepared if it is.
Old 16 December 2016, 01:12   #45
digitalx

I can send the disks and flash cart etc but once I get it i don't know what to do first, that's the issue. I'm going round in circles. I need to find someone here or local that can pop round and do it. Close to giving up but i don't want to.

I'm pretty sure the card is fine, just me and the disks.
Old 16 December 2016, 01:18   #46
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

So, I take it that the CF card doesn't boot any more? Does it mount by booting from Workbench?
Old 16 December 2016, 01:29   #47
crazyc

Do t give up mate. Worst are scenario is you have to get someone to set up the card for you.
As a as mentioned earlier it is easy to connect the cable to the motherboard incorrectly as its fiddly and difficult to see. The rest can be sorted.

Sent from my S7 Edge
Old 16 December 2016, 01:31   #48
crazyc

Also do you have a pc with cf card reader, so you can set up the card using winuae if needed?

Sent from my S7 Edge
Old 16 December 2016, 01:34   #49
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Do you know how to edit the OS-Install:Startup-sequence ?

I can get the OS floppy disk to Install the Workbench to HD.

Have you tried Installing WB using just the Workbench disks?

As crazyc mentioned, don't give up, get some sleep and tackle it tomorrow.
Old 16 December 2016, 01:35   #50
digitalx

No, custom built. No card reader but can get one.

Booting from workbench..? I thought the desktop looking thing was the workbench.

I'm gonna come back to it tomorrow after the Doc's, have a fresh start.

I'm pretty when I tried via workbench disks I was in that swapping floppy disks from System to OS INstall loop. Then got greyed out on the partition screen.

I did have a main OS installer with "select the OS version" with the amiga kit company name but no idea how I can get back to that. THAT is where it failed first. after I put in the locale disc it got to 62% then died.
Old 16 December 2016, 01:40   #51
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalx View Post
Booting from workbench..? I thought the desktop looking thing was the workbench.
You can boot from the Install3.1 disk and then click on InstallWB.
It depends on the Smartfilesystem really. I'm pretty sure it's already in the RDB so it should work.
Old 16 December 2016, 01:44   #52
digitalx

Ok thanks ill check it tomorrow. The partition screen didn't really make sense to me. I just did it in half, which was probably wrong.

All in all I should have waited, but lesson learnt.
Old 16 December 2016, 02:10   #53
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

OH! you formatted it. Oh well never mind.

If you want the CF card resetting to default then send me a pm.
Old 16 December 2016, 10:24   #54
Daedalus

It's a different world, but really, in general it's far less complicated than the world of PCs. It's just the fact it's so different that's catching you out. That, and that there's something wrong with either the drive or the disks. But posting the card to someone is a very easy option - almost everyone has a set of 3.1 floppies or images they can use to set it up for you and send it back - it'll only take 10 minutes, and then you'll have a machine that boots from the hard drive to the Workbench, ready for you to use without messing with installation floppies.

The partitioning in half isn't a big deal - that might be how it was done already - but Workbench itself only takes a few MB, so 100MB for a boot partition is plenty. When you say it was greyed out on the partition screen, did you delete the existing partitions?
Old 16 December 2016, 15:20   #55
idrougge

Installing OS3.1 takes ten minutes. If you find yourself diskswapping for an hour, you're doing something wrong – and so are Amigakit. What is this "OS install" disk you're talking about?
Old 16 December 2016, 16:36   #56
digitalx

The disk I recieved from Amiga Kit, it's green and says OS Install. "Hard drive emergency installation"

Can't find the paperwork now but it mentioned using it in the startup which would run through the installer.

Yep.. I know formatting it was probably the wrong thing to do.. But I didn't know.

I've formatted countless HDD's on PC's so it's a clean slate ready to partition etc. But this is different :/
Old 16 December 2016, 16:50   #57
Daedalus

Yeah, that's a non-standard OS install disk so it's hard to know what it's actually doing. I've only ever installed blank drives using the standard install disks which is quite straightforward so apologies if I've added to the confusion. Still, there's not a lot to it, so I suspect something has gone awry from the start when it started installing to the install disks (which should always be write-protected), and wasn't helped by issues with either the disks or the drive. They're two things that wouldn't normally happen, because otherwise installing OS 3.1 is generally faster and simpler than installing any PC OS.
Old 16 December 2016, 17:23   #58
idrougge

It would be fascinating to see what they've concocted on that floppy disk.
Old 16 December 2016, 22:32   #59
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Basically the OS-Install disk is an emergency restore disk to be used if the bootable partition ADH0: becomes corrupted. It's supposed to copy the files to ADH0: but it's flawed and always defaults to SYS: (DF0:)

The CF card supplied is set up like Classic Workbench where you boot from the CF card and it then asks for the Workbench disks to Install them.

It's pointless using the floppy disk as it doesn't work as intended and since the op has re partitioned the CF card the setup would be useless anyway.

Use the Install3.1 disk to Install WB.
Old 17 December 2016, 15:12   #60
digitalx

Right got my new set of workbench disks, have been feeling unwell for 2 whole weeks, 3 lots of meds done nothing, food, drink doesn't help the nausea etc.

Will try to get round to this again.

I'd love too see what's on those floppy disks myself but my PC doesn't use it.