English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 03 December 2023, 03:20   #1
copse

Wanted: Federation of free traders manual for Amiga

The federation of free traders manual on the file server, and on various sites, is Atari ST specific. If anyone has an Amiga copy of this game with the manual, can you look inside it and see if it refers to the "Alternate" key for decelerate, and the "Undo" key for map zoom (these are ST keys and should not be present unless they gave Amiga users the ST manual).

Additionally, in the music section near the end it refers to the HELP key being used to prompt for second disk where a track can be selected. All listed Amiga releases are 1 disk and the UK release is alleged to have come with a tape of music. In any Amiga version it should not say this.
Old 03 December 2023, 12:21   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I haven't read it very carefully, but the manual on HOL doesn't seem to be ST specific: https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/f...raders#manuals

Here's an auction that shows that the manual is for both the Amiga and the ST version: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293268405915
Old 03 December 2023, 18:38   #3
Docent

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
the UK release is alleged to have come with a tape of music. In any Amiga version it should not say this.
The music from the tape can be listen here https://soundcloud.com/docent-356735...age-game-music
It is on my soundcloud's playlist - you'll also find there music from various amiga games that I like.
Old 03 December 2023, 20:05   #4
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I haven't read it very carefully, but the manual on HOL doesn't seem to be ST specific: https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/f...raders#manuals

Here's an auction that shows that the manual is for both the Amiga and the ST version: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293268405915
Nicely spotted. I guess that answers that question, the manual is intended to be for both platforms.

The manual refers to an UNDO key and an ALTERNATE key and the second disk of music (ST version is 2 disk). These are three ST things AFAICT.

Anyway, I think you solved this mystery. Thanks again.
Old 26 December 2023, 19:42   #5
Trapshot

I can confirm that the Amiga boxed manual, which is entitled "Atari ST/Amiga" (like the one on the eBay link) does have differences and Amiga-specific things in it.

The one on HOL I think might be the ST-only manual, as there are clear differences between it and my manual.

Pics included below, but summary is:
  1. Page 1 of my manual is the Atari ST/Amiga Quick Start page, which is between the "Contents" and "Introduction" pages of the ST manual. The HOL scans don't show this page.
  2. Page 19 which has the "Navigation Summary" on it, is just titled "Navigation" on the Amiga version of the manual, and shows the key's mapping for UNDO as being the DELETE key.
  3. The HELP key on Amiga does indeed prompt for a disk to be inserted for selecting the music tracks. The standard game disk comes with some tracks on it, but yes, the boxed version comes with a cassette of the music. I assume you could still insert a different disk (or load some tunes onto the main disk if there's space) as long as they are the right format of music file for FOFT.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FOFT Page 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	81168   Click image for larger version

Name:	FOFT Page 19.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	81169  
Old 26 December 2023, 22:42   #6
rygar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshot View Post
I can confirm that the Amiga boxed manual, which is entitled "Atari ST/Amiga" (like the one on the eBay link) does have differences and Amiga-specific things in it.

The one on HOL I think might be the ST-only manual, as there are clear differences between it and my manual.

Pics included below, but summary is:
  1. Page 1 of my manual is the Atari ST/Amiga Quick Start page, which is between the "Contents" and "Introduction" pages of the ST manual. The HOL scans don't show this page.
  2. Page 19 which has the "Navigation Summary" on it, is just titled "Navigation" on the Amiga version of the manual, and shows the key's mapping for UNDO as being the DELETE key.
  3. The HELP key on Amiga does indeed prompt for a disk to be inserted for selecting the music tracks. The standard game disk comes with some tracks on it, but yes, the boxed version comes with a cassette of the music. I assume you could still insert a different disk (or load some tunes onto the main disk if there's space) as long as they are the right format of music file for FOFT.

Maybe you can scan your manual and upload here?
Old 27 December 2023, 03:24   #7
copse

Yeah, it'd be appreciated if you can scan and upload to the zone. I think the main disk doubles as a music disk, because that's how you load the tunes from it (help).
Old 27 December 2023, 09:12   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I have removed the ST only manual from HOL. Would indeed be great to have a scan of the Amiga specific version