English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 June 2014, 22:50   #1
Havie

Flappy Bird Test File

Hi all

Have been playing with Blitz Basic for a few months and have come up with a basic Flappy Bird clone (sorry!) which in theory should run on A500 - A4000. Graphics are in 16 colours (started with 32 but felt this was making the game too slow). Runs ok on my A1200 @50mhz but have no idea how it runs on anything else? Although I have optimised the code a bit, this is not written anyway efficently and I just want to see how it works on other systems - hopefully giving me an indication of how fast Blitz really is. Have used Winuae to write the game but I am not convinced that Winuae is quite as accurate as it reckons as the game was definetly running slower on my real Amiga even though I had them set up identically.

Anyway, please download and have a go and post here how it runs on your system and what your specs are.

If anyone is interested I have programmed this as I would on PC Blitz and currently use Blits to put everything on the screen and ClipBit the pipes (which are 64x170 pixels). I also Blit 2 black rectangles and the floor (using the block command) to create the illusion of the pipes scrolling smoothly on/off the screen. This gives a reduced screen width which is ok as this is Flappy Bird and I am trying to recreate the feel of the original (which other versions tend to lose in my opinion). I intend to make this more of a complete games as at the moment it doens't get any harder (although it is easier than the original ever was).

I also have various ways of speeding up the code including:

1. Using sprites for the pips and bird (if I can ever understand how to use them) and no double buffering - could be the fastest option?
2. Using a tile map screen for the pipes (although this would make them harder to move up and down as well as scroll right to left) and hardware scroll with a possible copy from back to front screen?
3. Use extra wide screen and hardware scrolling and Blit pipes as requires. This would be much faster as fewer Blits would be required? This would also invovled dual screens.

I would like to include moving pipes which would be easy with the code as it is (or if sprites work) but would be more problematic with options 2. and 3. above. Currently increasing the number of pipes would not be an option (too slow) and this would alos be the case with sprtes (not enough) but would not be a problem with the tilemap version. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, hope you like what I have done.
Attached Files
File Type: lha Flappy Bird.lha (64.8 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Havie; 01 June 2014 at 22:54. Reason: Muppet typos!
Old 01 June 2014, 22:59   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Sorry to be negative, but I think it is the most stupid game of the year, supported with enormous hype. Thank you for making a game for Amiga, though.
Old 01 June 2014, 23:05   #3
Havie

Don't disagree with you but seemed simple enough to make at the time and my little boy loves it so why not? I have learnt an awful lot about using Blitz Basic (again - forgotten from years back) so I don't think my time has been wasted?
Old 01 June 2014, 23:23   #4
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Already exist on Amiga

http://ohmygibs.free.fr/ohmygibs/Blo...ird_Amiga.html
Old 01 June 2014, 23:25   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, AGA and ECS which may have more advanced graphics. New games are always welcome, just play what you like.
Old 01 June 2014, 23:27   #6
Havie

Yep - have seen but tried to make mine more in keeping with the original.
Old 01 June 2014, 23:34   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
After you succeed you are ready for coding the new ultimate Amiga shooter in best traditions of Project X etc!
Old 02 June 2014, 00:06   #8
spud

Tested on my A1200 with and without the 030/50 active. Played identically on both configs, that is perfectly well but it didn't feel that smooth though- I don't think the low-res of the player sprite helped but I realise that can be fixed easily. The actual scrolling seemed consistent and steady without any perceiptle variance inthe frames per sec it ran at.

Since there is already a Flappy bIrd clone on the Amiga you could change it to clone Splashy Fish instead ;-) Also, might be cool if you put a little frame around the playfield to look like a smartphone
Old 02 June 2014, 07:27   #9
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Sorry to be negative, but I think it is the most stupid game of the year, supported with enormous hype.
Agreed. Why are games like Flappy Bird and Candy Crush Saga so popular? They would have been considered primitive in the 1980s.

Having said that I do not wish to insult the developer of this game. Any new game for Amiga is a great thing.
Old 02 June 2014, 13:14   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
But it needs a ridiculous setup to run such a simple game.

Havie: I commend you for your effort on making a version that actually runs in slower, stock hardware! Your version is decent enough for a first try and I'll be looking forward to your future projects. It is indeed a simple game to try to do if you are learning.

Big ups
Old 02 June 2014, 13:21   #11
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
But it needs a ridiculous setup to run such a simple game.
Yeah, a CPU clocked at 14 mhz and fast ram
Old 02 June 2014, 14:11   #12
skan
Dream Merchant

Wake me up when it runs at 50fps on a stock A500.
Old 02 June 2014, 14:43   #13
phx
Natteravn

It looks quite close to the original. Very well done!
And it seems a bit easier than the original, but I don't know why (openings are bigger?).
Old 02 June 2014, 16:50   #14
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
And it seems a bit easier than the original, but I don't know why (openings are bigger?).
Probably level design.
Old 02 June 2014, 19:32   #15
Foxman

On B1260/50 i just see short a "0" on a Black Screen and than the sytem reboots.
Old 02 June 2014, 20:28   #16
leathered

A solid effort! I'm sure you will improve it with some ingenuity! Runs fine on B1230/50. I wonder if there are some opcodes used by BLITZ2 that just don't sit well with 060's, a real shame, but it sounds like Amiblitz could have that covered at least.
Old 02 June 2014, 21:39   #17
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathered View Post
A solid effort! I'm sure you will improve it with some ingenuity! Runs fine on B1230/50. I wonder if there are some opcodes used by BLITZ2 that just don't sit well with 060's, a real shame, but it sounds like Amiblitz could have that covered at least.
This is programmed in Amiblitz 3 so it's a shame that it doesn't like 060s! Maybe I can be an anti-Novacoder and only make games that don't runon 060s...

Thanks for all the comments guys - will take them on board and spend a little more time making this a bit more challenging. I really like the idea of a smartphone frame so long as it looks ok in limited colours.

More to follow soon and then I might convert one of my other games to create something a little more original.

Last edited by TCD; 03 June 2014 at 06:37. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 03 June 2014, 01:31   #18
vitux
Banned

Not bad,
I like :-)
Old 03 June 2014, 04:56   #19
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Yeah, a CPU clocked at 14 mhz and fast ram
That's pretty ridiculous requirements for a flappy bird game when games like Turrican 2 run on a stock 500.
Old 03 June 2014, 05:49   #20
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
This is programmed in Amiblitz 3 so it's a shame that it doesn't like 060s! Maybe I can be an anti-Novacoder and only make games that don't runon 060s...
I heard that!

Seriously though, it's always nice to see new Classic games developed....keep up the good work