English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 August 2008, 12:52   #1
SkippyAR

Simple Mod for Mouse

Anyone recommend a simple mod to allow me to have a PS2 mouse on the Amiga.

Not interested in the Punchello or any of that other nonsense.

Paul.

Old 31 August 2008, 18:46   #2
Thorham
Computer Nerd

You could get a ps2 to serial port converter, and simply connect the mouse to the serial port. This software will allow you to use the mouse:

SerMouse

Note that the software only works with os software, so it's useless for most games.
Old 31 August 2008, 20:09   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
There is a bunch of "Cocolino-a-likes" on Aminet. No need to buy one of those overpriced units if you are able to build one yourself.
Old 01 September 2008, 01:54   #4
essence25

Can we use optical mice too ? Like the MX310 from logitech, best I've ever used.
Old 01 September 2008, 02:35   #5
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence25 View Post
Can we use optical mice too ? Like the MX310 from logitech, best I've ever used.
Cool, that's the one I'm using :P.... had to buy a new one as the old had lost its rubber thingies underneith for smooth moving, and had lots of scratches, the new one I bought was a NEW MX310 :P.. so now I have 2....

Yeah, even took pictures :P

New one:

Old one:

The pictures are taken with my psp, and not too bright in the room so they are not so sharp.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 01 September 2008 at 02:41.
Old 01 September 2008, 03:34   #6
rkauer

Just remember that some mice can drawn too much current from the mouse port. If so, you need a better hack to provide enough power to feed the rat.
Old 01 September 2008, 12:25   #7
SkippyAR

The Claw of Iron

@Ironclaw,

Are you actually using that mouse on your Amiga? If so can you run me through how you've got it setup.

Old 01 September 2008, 12:29   #8
keropi

better get a cocolino from amigakit.com and do yer job... works in both os/games whatever, and you can use all ps2 mice with scrollwheels too, optical or not.
just pay for the convenience
Old 01 September 2008, 12:33   #9
SkippyAR

Rip Off

How can you charge £27.99 for this piece of SiHT?

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...products_id=88

What a fCUK InC rip off. Should be ashamed of yourself charging customers that sort of money.

As BAD as the £70 Power PSU that Eyetech used to sell. That contains nothing more than a 250w AT PSU inside that you probably get in a bin round the back of a computer store if you're lucky.

Old 01 September 2008, 12:36   #10
SkippyAR

Example

There you go:

http://hotamp.amiga.free.fr/hard/pcmouse.html

An example of how to save yourself 30 quid.

Old 01 September 2008, 13:02   #11
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Congratulations of your find but you could be aware that not all people share the knowledge of how to make a pcb or program the chips required for that short of hardware mod.

Apart from that, we're talking about having the luxury of ordering Amiga products for a Vintage hardware in the year of 2008!

If you find yourself ripped off by one of the few Amiga hardware vendors then just don't buy from them.

I'm very happy for acquiring 2xCocolinos already and probably will get one more.

Cheers
Old 01 September 2008, 13:29   #12
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyAR View Post
@Ironclaw,

Are you actually using that mouse on your Amiga? If so can you run me through how you've got it setup.
Nope, using it on my PC. Don't own an amiga for a good reason:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 September 2008, 13:43   #13
keropi

Quote:

What a fCUK InC rip off. Should be ashamed of yourself charging customers that sort of money.

As BAD as the £70 Power PSU that Eyetech used to sell. That contains nothing more than a 250w AT PSU inside that you probably get in a bin round the back of a computer store if you're lucky.
piece of shit? my god, have you even tried one? how can you tell it is a piece of shit? FYI it works perfect and as expected.
if you think it is an easy rip-off then by all means build your own adaptor. Not everyone can or wants to do that, but since you seem so determined DIY! just post pics on prb.hardware for us to see

and don't forget, amiga = money these days , luxury stuff as ps2 mice, accelerators, usb controllers cost much. and they worth it.
Old 01 September 2008, 16:29   #14
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
Skippy, I'm gonna be knocking one of these up for my self soon. If you want i will post you a board and a programmed Pic FOC! the rest you will have to get yourself! Oh bugger it is only a few pence. If i can find another 9 pin socket and a mini din i will send you the completed unit.

Hows that!
Old 01 September 2008, 17:11   #15
SkippyAR

LOL, I know how to shit stir a thread don't I, heh!

Rip off Amiga merchandise, what do you mean you can't MAKE it, why not! What's wrong with you? (heh, heh)

Seen that YT vid, its good.

You should all throw your Amigas in the bin and get with it and buy a modern Microsoft Windows XP/Vista based machine.

And leave my Jaffa cakes alone too.

Old 04 September 2008, 00:58   #16
Oli_HD
Collector

Quote:

You think its easy to make that?
Ok, well first lets see what it can do, it works fine without software (Amiga style mouse movements and two mouse buttons) but also supports five mouse buttons and two scroll wheels with software.
It doesnt connect to anything other than the single mouse port.
Now the mouse port has power and ground, mouse directions X & Y (four signals in total) and three mouse buttons or two potentiometer inputs.

So how do you make an adaptor that supports what that piece of hardware does using only that single mouse port? (The cheap ones you see are either 2/3 button mice adaptors with no wheel support or need to be connected to the second mouse/game port for the extra signals)

The answer is to use the potentiometer output to transmit the data, not a fecking easy job with a pic!

But hey, if you think you can do cheaper do it. Maybe even add USB host support so you could connect a USB only mouse? (No, thats not the same as a USB mouse that comes with a PS2 adaptor, that isnt a USB mouse its a dual function mouse like when PS2 mice came with serial port adaptors)
Old 04 September 2008, 01:20   #17
Dimlow

EDIT: MY MOUSE ADAPTOR I MADE BELOW IS NOT THE THING IM SPEAKING ABOUT HERE ITS PS2 ONLY!!!!

Actually, I may have something in the works for a full USB mouse and keyboards in the Amiga!

There will be no extra software required, only if you need extra buttons and wheel support, but it would also work with existing drivers that can be found on aminet. But also not cheep, but also not as expensive as that amigakit one. Here is a hint http://www.vinculum.com

Quote:
The answer is to use the potentiometer output to transmit the data, not a fecking easy job with a pic!

Err , Its not difficult

Last edited by Dimlow; 19 December 2008 at 10:56. Reason: JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR, MY ADATOR IS NOT USB
Old 04 September 2008, 02:26   #18
rkauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimlow View Post
Actually, I may have something in the works for a full USB mouse and keyboards in the Amiga!

There will be no extra software required, only if you need extra buttons and wheel support, but it would also work with existing drivers that can be found on aminet. But also not cheap, but also not as expensive as that amigakit one. Here is a hint http://www.vinculum.com

Err , Its not difficult
For "old" tinkerers, I strongly suggest this mouse hack over any other.

It must make content the Jaffa lover.
Old 04 September 2008, 09:46   #19
Dimlow

Hey, Now you happen to be a couple of years +1 older than me Rkauer, I can't have you calling me OLD! I'm getting quite sensitive to that now , coming up to 40 an all

Rkauer, do you play with pics? I play with them all the time, they are very handy little buggers. I understand how that one you quoted works. But don't like the size of the PCB required and it seems OTT for whats really needed in an everyday mouse. That's why i pointed out the other one.
I think all you need is two buttons and maybe a wheel, no second wheel and all them other buttons. The mouse i had on my PC had all this other junk but it just got in the way. I now only use a logitech MX518 but still that has two buttons extra that i don't need.

I dont really know what im trying to say here, Oh Yea got it.

IM NOT OLD!
http://www.jafferygoodness.com/

Oh and the Jaffa Mouse [ Show youtube player ] [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Dimlow; 04 September 2008 at 10:04.
Old 04 September 2008, 09:46   #20
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
You should all throw your Amigas in the bin and get with it and buy a modern Microsoft Windows XP/Vista based machine.
/me starts hanging around SkippyAR's bin, just in case.......