English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08 May 2022, 14:01   #1
utri007
mä vaan
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,421
Poseidon USB stack halves Amiga's speed

Is it normal? Everything is running about a half of speed when Poseidon is running and when I stop it speed normalize.

As I have a Thylacine UBS board, I could use Sirion 68k port, wich seems to be much more light weight, but is it really so that it doesn't have a mass storage device support?
utri007 is offline  
Old 08 May 2022, 14:11   #2
trixster
Guru Meditating

 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: England
Posts: 2,134
Can you clarify what you mean by “everything is running about half speed”?

You’re getting half the mips? Ram speed is cut in half? Does it affect games? Is workbench sluggish in terms of opening directories, or loading icons? Is harddrive access speed affected? Screen and directory redraw? Mouse pointer responsiveness?
trixster is offline  
Old 08 May 2022, 15:27   #3
utri007
mä vaan
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by “everything is running about half speed”?

You’re getting half the mips? Ram speed is cut in half? Does it affect games? Is workbench sluggish in terms of opening directories, or loading icons? Is harddrive access speed affected? Screen and directory redraw? Mouse pointer responsiveness?
Opening directories and displaying icons is sluggish. Hard drive speed is about -40 % 5mb/s from 8mb/s. Duke Nukem 3D is about 6fps and without a 15fps.

So over all performance is degraded
utri007 is offline  
Old 08 May 2022, 17:07   #4
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 52
Posts: 1,185
you need at minimum an 030 to run Poseidon at semi decent speed but with 040 or 060 it ran fine with no lag
klx300r is offline  
Old 08 May 2022, 17:15   #5
utri007
mä vaan
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
you need at minimum an 030 to run Poseidon at semi decent speed but with 040 or 060 it ran fine with no lag
No 68030 plays a Duke 3D even with 6fps, or 15 fps.

This is a 68060 system. I does run "fine", its just halves system speed.
utri007 is offline  
Old 08 May 2022, 19:13   #6
utri007
mä vaan
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,421
I made a short video demostration of this.

[ Show youtube player ]
utri007 is offline  
Old 08 May 2022, 23:38   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,999
Because IDE drivers are PIO they are greatly affected by available CPU power. Having a USB host HW and it's software stack enabled does not come for free.

Probably interrupts, possibly polling for hotplug. What USB devices do you have connected?

Worth trying Sirion the original Thylacine USB stack instead of Poseidon?
alexh is offline  
Old 08 May 2022, 23:53   #8
utri007
mä vaan
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Because IDE drivers are PIO they are greatly affected by available CPU power. Having a USB host HW and it's software stack enabled does not come for free.
I ques so. This one has Fast ATA Zorro IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Probably interrupts, possibly polling for hotplug. What USB devices do you have connected?
Just USB hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Worth trying Sirion the original Thylacine USB stack instead of Poseidon?
I would hapily use Sirion, it is far more light weight, but it lacks mass storage device support. Wich is little hard to belive.

I think that I need to do start and stop icons for a Poseidon. Disable auto start.
utri007 is offline  
Old 09 May 2022, 12:09   #9
Leon Besson
Registered User
Leon Besson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Anywhere and everywhere I have a contract
Posts: 174
Just for the record. I’m using classic 68060 setups (Phase 5 blizzard 1260 and BPPC cards)with 3.1 and 3.1.4 ROMs using Mediator and PCI Spider-II USB cards with Poseidon 4.5 and don’t get that issue.
Does this USB adapter connect to the Amiga Motherboard Clockport by chance? Like the Icomp RapidRoad?
If so, then that’s probably the issue as the Clockport is slowwwwwwww!
You don’t mention which 68060 accelerator you are using.
Leon Besson is offline  
Old 09 May 2022, 13:25   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Does this USB adapter connect to the Amiga Motherboard Clockport by chance?
No, it's Zorro II.

I would bet it is the Thylacine Poseidon driver.

OR Thylacine HW.

There are lots of threads where people speculate the Cypress SL811HS controller chip is at best crap and worst buggy.

Quote:
* BUGS: all chip revisions have problems with low speed devices through hubs.
46 * The chip stops generating SOF with hubs that send SE0 during SOF. See
47 * comment in dointr(). All performance enhancing features of this chip seem
48 * not to work properly, most confirmed buggy in errata doc.

https://www.cypress.com/documentatio...ave-controller

Last edited by alexh; 09 May 2022 at 13:38.
alexh is offline  
Old 09 May 2022, 14:28   #11
utri007
mä vaan
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No, it's Zorro II.

I would bet it is the Thylacine Poseidon driver.

OR Thylacine HW.

There are lots of threads where people speculate the Cypress SL811HS controller chip is at best crap and worst buggy.
If Poseidon is NOT running, there is no problem. If Sirion is running there is no prolem. I would hapily use sirion, but it doesn't have a msd driver, which is kind of show stopper.

So it is mostlikely Poseidon of Thylacine's Poseidon driver.

Bad that Sirion 68k havedt got updated, when it's OS4 version is.
utri007 is offline  
Old 11 May 2022, 19:43   #12
Leon Besson
Registered User
Leon Besson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Anywhere and everywhere I have a contract
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No, it's Zorro II.

I would bet it is the Thylacine Poseidon driver.

OR Thylacine HW.

There are lots of threads where people speculate the Cypress SL811HS controller chip is at best crap and worst buggy.
Good to know Bromigo!
Leon Besson is offline  
Old 13 May 2022, 08:28   #13
aros-sg
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 113
Maybe there's some serial debug output happening. Try sashimi tool. And if there is such output try to redirect sashimi output to "NIL:".
aros-sg is offline  
Old 13 May 2022, 08:37   #14
Locutus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,040
I had the same experience when using a Rapidroad connected to the clockport of a Zorro2 card in a A4000/060.

Essentially the polling rate when using a USB input device was so high that half the CPU speed just vanished.
Locutus is offline  
Old 14 May 2022, 00:46   #15
Leon Besson
Registered User
Leon Besson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Anywhere and everywhere I have a contract
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
I had the same experience when using a Rapidroad connected to the clockport of a Zorro2 card in a A4000/060.

Essentially the polling rate when using a USB input device was so high that half the CPU speed just vanished.
The RapidRoad connected to a X-surf 100 flies! Even on a Zorro-II setting
Leon Besson is offline  
Old 14 May 2022, 01:33   #16
utri007
mä vaan
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
The RapidRoad connected to a X-surf 100 flies! Even on a Zorro-II setting
To make sure that everyone talks about a same thing. Half speed of my 68060 Amiga is still a fast compared to many other systems. Havin 5mb/s hard drive access is still a speedy, but it should be a 8mb/s.

So have you played lets say Duke 3D with Poseidon running backround? Do you get 6 fps or 15 fps when you write dnrate on game?
utri007 is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Status of Poseidon USB stack on AmigaOS? kolla support.Apps 6 12 July 2017 13:16
Deneb USB and Poseidon stack videofx support.Hardware 3 22 June 2014 22:58
Latest Poseidon USB stack download? tnt23 support.Hardware 6 20 March 2014 20:47
Poseidon Usb Stack 3.8!! For Amithlon panos_pit request.Apps 3 19 July 2010 01:44
Poseidon USB Stack install failure!!!! Fingerlickin_B support.Apps 10 25 August 2008 02:27

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09185 seconds with 15 queries