English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 June 2017, 22:59   #1
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Check CF hard disk for errors

Hello,

I have been using the same 4GB CF card in my A1200 for about 9 years now. The other day, a checksum error message appeared while using the A1200 in workbench. I clicked on it and it went away.

I am using FFS but I do have IDE-FIX97 board installed and have the doobrey patched scsi.device kicked up into ROM. Both partitions, DH0: and DH1: are under 2GB.

What utility or command can I use to check and repair the file system? That aside, is there any benefit to going with another file system going forward? I don't know if my technical chops are up to rebuilding this system from scratch.
Old 21 June 2017, 07:36   #2
jPV

In old times I used ABTools (Ami Back Tools) to fix any FFS filesystem errors. It did fix checksum errors, but it also could mark bad blocks if the disk was physically damaged. I think I used it by its "Analyst" or such option, which first checked the disk and then asked for further options to fix any found errors.

So, I'd try that nowadays too with such 2GB/4GB/FFS setup. But I'd seriously recommend to make a raw image of the CF card first to other computer. If anything goes wrong, then you can always revert it to the original situation, or even to other card if the current card is just too messed up or broken.

ABTools was always successful and quick while other options like Disksalv etc were just too slow and unreliable in comparison.
Old 21 June 2017, 08:49   #3
Jope
-

Another vote for ABTools. FFS checksum errors are not always due to media corruption. Very often they are a result of a power cut or reset during writing.
Old 21 June 2017, 18:04   #4
illy5603

Thanks for the replies. I have a second CF card that I have been backing up the main one to every so often. Is it possible to make this CF card bootable in advance in case I need to swap them or would I have to have my 3.1 floppies to boot from?

Last edited by illy5603; 21 June 2017 at 18:10.
Old 21 June 2017, 20:03   #5
idrougge

How did you do the backups? Via PCMCIA?
Old 21 June 2017, 21:53   #6
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have a second CF card that I have been backing up the main one to every so often. Is it possible to make this CF card bootable in advance in case I need to swap them or would I have to have my 3.1 floppies to boot from?
If you have made the backup by copying by raw images, then it's naturally bootable (1:1 copy), but if you have just copied the files in filesystem level, then it depends how have you formatted the second card and do you have bootable flag on its RDB.
Old 21 June 2017, 22:25   #7
illy5603

Currently I plug the second CF card into the PCMCIA slot and copy all from Diropus. I have an available port on my IDE-FIX Express adapter so I could plug it in there as well I suppose and have it always available.
Old 21 June 2017, 23:00   #8
jPV

When it's in PCMCIA, it likely is in FAT format and that doesn't preserve Amiga's native file attributes, so it isn't a perfect backup. If you want a good backup by copying in filesystem level, you'd have to plug it in IDE and reformat it to Amiga filesystem and copy then (preferrably from the shell with "Copy ALL CLONE", although DOpus probably preserves file attributes too, but not 100% sure about that).
Old 21 June 2017, 23:12   #9
idrougge

You can use PCMCIA for Amiga format as well. Direct HDToolbox to cfd.device and partition it like a normal hard drive. Then use GiggleDisk to make a suitable mountlist. Now you can easily swap cards between IDE and PCMCIA (but no longer readable for a PC or Mac).
Old 21 June 2017, 23:50   #10
illy5603

Ok, I will look into all of these things. I have a CF card that I use to transfer files between my MAC and Amiga that I believe is FAT. I will stop backing up to this CF and use it only to transfer archived files over from my Mac when I download them from the net.

I have another CF card and I do not remember if it is formatted or not. I will try to format with HDtoolbox as suggested. If I cannot get it to format from PCMCIA slot as suggested I will see if I can fit it alongside the existing CF card inside the 1200. I will then work on a copy batch file to mirror the contents from the original CF card to this second one. I am not familiar with giggle disk, so I don't really understand with that is going to do for me.

Last edited by illy5603; 21 June 2017 at 23:57.
Old 22 June 2017, 05:27   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Now you can easily swap cards between IDE and PCMCIA (but no longer readable for a PC or Mac).
They can be read by WinUAE on the PC though
That's a great tip, I didn't know cfd.device would work with a regular Amiga filesystem!

To be fair, I don't think I ever, or rather rarely, ran into issues with copying Amiga stuff to a FAT volume. Issues usually involve either stupid characters on filename (like using *) or very long filenames.
Old 22 June 2017, 06:55   #12
illy5603

I don't use WINUAE right now but compatibility would be cool. I got the CF card scanned with Amiback Tools and it appears clean, must have just been a random read glitch. Man this thing is fast with the ide-fix97 scsi.device in RAM.
Old 22 June 2017, 07:23   #13
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
To be fair, I don't think I ever, or rather rarely, ran into issues with copying Amiga stuff to a FAT volume. Issues usually involve either stupid characters on filename (like using *) or very long filenames.
Well, if you're making a backup of the system files or installed software, you'll at least lose the S bit from scripts and the P bit from commands which can be made resident. Your system won't be as intented after that, even if you wouldn't notice it first. You probably notice some scripts failing sooner or later.

File comments are also lost and at least I don't like that either... I like keeping download info etc what you have on those.
Old 22 June 2017, 12:01   #14
idrougge

Same here. Not to mention that FAT does crazy things with file names shorter than 9 characters.
Old 22 June 2017, 12:52   #15
Daedalus

And, probably of lesser importance but still mildly annoying, FAT will round all file dates to the nearest 2 seconds.
Old 22 June 2017, 15:53   #16
Amiga1992

I see there's more problems than I originally thought.
In any case, my method of backing up is popping the card in WinUAE and making an image of it. That way I don't lose a thing and restoring to a backup is easy.

ily, I suggest you be rid of FFS though, as it is prone to errors like what you just mentioned.
Old 22 June 2017, 16:58   #17
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I see there's more problems than I originally thought.
In any case, my method of backing up is popping the card in WinUAE and making an image of it. That way I don't lose a thing and restoring to a backup is easy.

ily, I suggest you be rid of FFS though, as it is prone to errors like what you just mentioned.
I imagine I would have to have another CF card formatted in the appropriate file system first, set it as bootable and then copy everything over? I have never used or installed another file system before so I am not sure how to go about it.
Old 23 June 2017, 01:39   #18
idrougge

I just did this via PCMCIA when I filled up my old card and needed to migrate to a bigger card.