Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 19 February 2020, 17:54   #1
Wepl

resourced ReSource

Update 2022-02-20:
https://github.com/wepl/ReSource
http://whdload.de/whdload/ReSource662.lha

Old:
To improve the usability and fix bugs in ReSource 6.06 I've resourced and rebuild it.
If interested you can find it here: http://whdload.de/whdload/ReSource661.lha
Requires full 6.06 package. Source & .rs included.

Changes made: version 6.6.1 (2020-02-19) done by Wepl

* if screen height is greater than 512 pixel the height of the symbol and macro windows are enlarged to avoid scrolling in the list view gadgets
* no longer uses cmp2 instructions on 68060
* on saving an .rs file ReSource now remembers the used filepath in the environment variable ReSourceLastFileName, when ReSource is later started without a file specification it uses the remembered filepath as default original file
* clash of two variables for saveRsOriginal fixed which caused Current to be displayed in the menu but Original was active
* the save path upon start has been changed from Current to Original for saving .rs/.asm/executable
* disassembling of 'btst dn,#x' fixed for x > 7, no longer prints ???? in front of x
* some minor optimizations, some dead code/data removed

Last edited by Wepl; 20 February 2022 at 22:52.
Old 19 February 2020, 18:16   #2
ross
Defendit numerus

Thanks.

Original replaced
Old 19 February 2020, 18:26   #3
Pyromania

Thanx for the updates, anywhere to buy this package new in 2020?
Old 19 February 2020, 18:31   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Thanks, this is very nice, I always wanted to do that as well as ReSource has some quite annoying bugs. I may use your resourced version to fix some more bugs in ReSource.

Edit: You might want to change the release date as I don't think you kept this version for a year on your hard drive.
Old 19 February 2020, 22:22   #5
kamelito
Zone Friend

Great thanks. A shared repo would be great so everyone could submit fixes or improvements.
Old 19 February 2020, 22:28   #6
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Thanks, this is very nice, I always wanted to do that as well as ReSource has some quite annoying bugs. I may use your resourced version to fix some more bugs in ReSource.
Edit: You might want to change the release date as I don't think you kept this version for a year on your hard drive.
Ahh, changed. Although I started this somewhere in 2004 but never got it ready. I'm aware of other problems in ReSource too - so this is released in the hope that somebody else continues to fix
Old 19 February 2020, 22:35   #7
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Great thanks. A shared repo would be great so everyone could submit fixes or improvements.
I thought about github but:
1. the legal state is a bit undefined
2. there is no git client for os3
3. I think to enhance the source quality it is still advised to work on the .rs and then merge these changes into the source. At least I have done it this way in the last cycles.
Old 19 February 2020, 23:22   #8
NorthWay

You might want to look into the search functions as they seem to be writing over things they have no business with - try ROM disassembly.
Old 20 February 2020, 01:29   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
To improve the usability and fix bugs in ReSource 6.06 I've resourced and rebuild it.
If interested you can find it here: http://whdload.de/whdload/ReSource661.lha
Requires full 6.06 package. Source & .rs included.

Changes made: version 6.6.1 (2020-02-19) done by Wepl

* if screen height is greater than 512 pixel the height of the symbol and macro windows are enlarged to avoid scrolling in the list view gadgets
* no longer uses cmp2 instructions on 68060
* on saving an .rs file ReSource now remembers the used filepath in the environment variable ReSourceLastFileName, when ReSource is later started without a file specification it uses the remembered filepath as default original file
* clash of two variables for saveRsOriginal fixed which caused Current to be displayed in the menu but Original was active
* the save path upon start has been changed from Current to Original for saving .rs/.asm/executable
* disassembling of 'btst dn,#x' fixed for x > 7, no longer prints ???? in front of x
* some minor optimizations, some dead code/data removed
thank you very much wepl !!!
Old 20 February 2020, 10:29   #10
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
You might want to look into the search functions as they seem to be writing over things they have no business with - try ROM disassembly.
Can you give me steps to reproduce?
Old 20 February 2020, 13:57   #11
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
I thought about github but:
1. the legal state is a bit undefined
2. there is no git client for os3
3. I think to enhance the source quality it is still advised to work on the .rs and then merge these changes into the source. At least I have done it this way in the last cycles.
Maybe bugs should be listed in this thread so others people could fixed them.
Old 21 February 2020, 17:59   #12
NorthWay

Quote:
Can you give me steps to reproduce?
You can look at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89214 which is where I started.

I have downloaded another .rs of it earlier and looked at the search functions, and IIRC it looked like it ended up reading and writing back to the same address. Not smart if searching in ROM, nor making sense to RAM either.
Old 23 February 2020, 00:29   #13
NorthWay

I think I have some more bugs stored somewhere - I'll see if I can find them.

Do you feel confident enough to do some deeper changes to ReSource? For some time now I have wished it would save out just the disassembled data/structure so you could release something without having someone roflstomp it because it contains the original binary.
Then you could load up the standalone release file and have it ask for the matching binary.
Old 24 February 2020, 18:01   #14
Wepl

Quote:
You can look at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89214 which is where I started.
So this a bug already present in 6.06 it seems, and not introduced by the rebuild?
I never used/tested disassembling memory.
ATM I don't have time to look on this.

Quote:
I think I have some more bugs stored somewhere - I'll see if I can find them.
It would be good to collect them at least.

Quote:
Do you feel confident enough to do some deeper changes to ReSource?
No. I have only tried to understand what was related to the changes I made. There is still many code which is not reviewed/understood.
Old 26 February 2020, 18:29   #15
NorthWay

Quote:
It would be good to collect them at least.
Btw, do you know of this? https://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/inde....html#msg46914

I have a bundle of hits I have gotten from ReSource at various times. I think they should all be from 6.06. Not sure if they will be of any help, but listing them can't hurt.

There is also some kind of display bug where it will (IIRC) more or less lock up if you play around with hex display and move backwards in the listing. Something about the visual presentation anyway. Haven't used it in a long time...
Attached Files
File Type: lha ReSourceBundle.lha (2.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 26 February 2020, 23:53   #16
Wepl

Quote:
Interesting, didn't know. Are these rs-files mentioned downloadable?
A fully resourced ReSourcesyms.library.rs would be nice and allow easily to add at least some new LVOs for kick3.1 (exec, dos). I started resourcing it but lost motivation.
I never looked into ReSourcehelp.library.rs that would be win too.

Quote:
I have a bundle of hits I have gotten from ReSource at various times. I think they should all be from 6.06. Not sure if they will be of any help, but listing them can't hurt.
Thanks will collect this and hopefully review

Quote:
There is also some kind of display bug where it will (IIRC) more or less lock up if you play around with hex display and move backwards in the listing. Something about the visual presentation anyway. Haven't used it in a long time...
not of much help without steps to reproduce
Old 27 February 2020, 14:23   #17
NorthWay

Quote:
Are these rs-files mentioned downloadable?
Yes. I registered on the forum and downloaded them. That is how I knew it was in the search functions the problems with ROM disassembly was.

Quote:
not of much help without steps to reproduce
I know, but that was the closest I could remember. My 4000 is semi-borked, but that bug should be possible to find in UAE too. I'll try fishing for it one of these days.
Old 17 October 2020, 20:57   #18
Asman

I am not sure if this is bug, but ...
I save block memory (WinUAE debugger command S C0 $10000). Then I load as binary to Resource. Then I choose Origin/Specify and type $C0. first instruction in $c0 is
Code:
jmp ($844).w ;$4ef80844
And nothing was changed but I guess it should be something like that
Code:
jmp START+$784   ;$784 = $844-$c0
Am I doing something in wrong way ?
Old 18 October 2020, 21:02   #19
Wepl

This is a known limitation. Absolut.w are not considered. Would be nice to have that fixed but upto now nobody has.
Old 06 February 2021, 21:18   #20
kamelito
Zone Friend

Are the bugs below from http://amiga-dev.wikidot.com/tool:resource fixed in your version?

Creates .w offsets for some .b type branches when near the +/-127/128 byte offset limits. Especially when branching ahead. (Source: RedSkullDC on English Amiga Board).
Creates incorrect word offsets when code with an offset in the relocation table resolves to an absolute location outside the HUNK that the relocation table belongs to (The apple2000 V1.3 emulator is a good example of this). In reality, this is pretty hacky hand-assembly anyway. Doubt you would ever see a compiler produce such code. (Source: RedSkullDC on English Amiga Board).
Leaks references to original base register variable name DT wherever it is used, if the variable gets renamed. e.g. movea.l Variable1-DT(A4), A0. This will be the first variable in a SECTION and will have automatically been renamed to DT. If you rename it at a later point to reflect the actual use of this variable, this is when the problem will occur. As it is not possible to add multiple labels for the same address in Resource, you need to fix it manually when compiling the resulting source code. (Source: copse on English Amiga Board).
When "New Syntax" is turned off, a few instructions are still disassembled with "New Syntax" regardless. e.g. "movem.l (label,pc), …" or "frestore (label,pc)".
When "New Syntax" is turned off, some instructions are not disassembled correctly. e.g. unpk, movec, bfextu.